Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

man, sellin' gear is TOUGH these days.........

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    siremoon said:
    I think some sellers don't do themselves any favours. 

I have recently sold my motor bike and have a substantial wedge of cash burning a hole in my pocket which I intend to splurge on various bits of gear.  Consequently I keep my eyes peeled in the classifieds section here and have recently showed some interest in 3 quite expensive guitars.

In 2 of the 3 cases the sellers haven't exactly fallen over themselves to answer my questions and as far as I know both items remain unsold.  If someone can't make the effort to answer what I consider are legitimate questions then I'm unlikely to want to deal with them. 
    Nothing worse. That said, as a good communicator, I dropped a right cock with an eBay sale this week (fortunately the gitfiddle sold anyway), but that's the danger of thinking when 'in gin'. Totally misunderstood the enquiry. Tool  :(

Gin=Bad. Ooooh look, it's gin o'clock.

"You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27743
    jd0272 said:
    Nothing worse. That said, as a good communicator, I dropped a right cock with an eBay sale this week (fortunately the gitfiddle sold anyway), but that's the danger of thinking when 'in gin'. Totally misunderstood the enquiry. Tool  :(

Gin=Bad. Ooooh look, it's gin o'clock.

Gin=bad??!! Blasphemy!! You're lucky the facepalms are gone! :p
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Did someone say gin?

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I can't drink gin yet... I'm not 40 and sitting on the stairs at a party crying because no one saw I'd gotten a new dress
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I guess I started drinking gin about 20 years too early in that case. Also I never wear dresses.

• Woah woah woah, Gin is great, and I refuse to hear a bad word against it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Never wear dresses? Then how can you sit on stairs with mascara running down your face in a pretty summer dress than no one noticed you'd spend a whole weeks wages on?

Really, you're not trying!
  • Gin brings out my inner Victorian strumpet.

Ahh, Victorian strumpet... the ideal level of drunk...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I don't know how i'm going to sell gear without the silk road

My V key is broken
    Surely the old fashioned way? To kids?
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15861
    who do you think he gets it from?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Having been window shopping in the states I think second hand prices in the uk are too high. A perfect nick "way huge Rhino" was selling for on $20 at guitar center
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited October 2013
    I don't wear dresses or drink gin and for ages I was certain the two were linked and now I know for sure.  Science is cool.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17888
    tFB Trader
    I've bought at sold shedloads of gear recently it's just a question of listing stuff at reasonable prices, being prepared to be flexible about shipping (sent a guitar to Ireland recently), and being open to trades. 

It is irritating that a lot of the people selling aren't open to trading which makes it hard for people like me who enjoy trading as an end in itself.

In the case of hootsmon. His Tele would probably sell in a month at £600 and within a week at £550, but never at £900. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73049
    On the other hand it's really easy to sell a valuable national asset if you underprice it by at least a billion pounds.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    LOL at @ICBM

EBay is the only nearly guaranteed sale in town these days, if priced appropriately.

The last wee while I have made more off EBay for sales even after fees than I would have got for my asking price on here and other places.

What makes me laugh too though is when you have a buyer who is looking to beat the seller down as much as possible, so far so normal then when they flip to being a seller then they want top dollar and in some cases more than they paid for it.

It has happened here on occasion and a lot on MR, along with other classified sites.

You cannot have it both ways if we all want a bargain then we should be prepared to compromise price wise to get a sale and be balanced about things.

I agree with @Monquixote that as things are not selling very well why not do trades or part exes, Hopefully when the market rebounds sell on the trade and shouldn't lose out too badly.

Most regular users of the for sale sections are gear hounds and GAS addicts so if no sale consider trades etc.

An example from me would be when the H & K 4 X 12" cab I had for sale here and other places was not selling I traded it for a guitar that I sold on for more than I was asking for the cab.

But yes the market sucks as it is, unless you have plenty GAS money which makes you golden for all the cheap gear around these days.