School me on cabs

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17702
    tFB Trader
    I'm always really suspicious of those donut things. 

Do they really work?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 443
    Yep! providing you use the right acoustic foam and get the measurements right. I must have fitted 10 or so and really like the results. It also means that you don't have to be as fussy about where you put the cab/combo. Just fitted one this weekend to a rather excellent and dirt cheap V30 loaded Harley-Benton (Thomann) 1 x 12, worked a treat paired with my Martamp V6-20 head, perched on top of my bass combo. I play bass and guitar in CarnaC, my current band, we're a 6 piece so space/footprint is an issue.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10481

The higher the frequency the more directional it is. So if you tame the highest frequencies by absorbing them with foam then the output will contain less top end  and therefor not be so directional or "beaming" 

That's the theory I think 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4307
    I like open back (oval port) vertical 2x12's and IME these can be very very nearly as good as a 4x12 given the right speakers. I made one for a mate who runs a studio and we put it up agains his 1960a and with an EV and a Gold in it it was just as good. A lot easier to transport , takes up much less gig floor space, you just need the right sized amp to sit on top of it if its too wide it looks cack!!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom