Birthday Present

What's Hot

It's nearly that time of year again when people want to buy me stuff to compensate for my getting a year older, which I am grateful for. I have a girlfriend and a mother both of whom would like to know what I would like, which is great, but as ever, I do not know.

I don't need guitar related ideas unless it's something truly unlikely that I would not have looked at previously.

Any ideas? Are there any cool things that normal folks like getting for their birthday?

A few bits of info may help to either provoke ideas, or revoke certain suggestions:

My lady and I are looking to move in together soon, it would be our first house. However I've been told I can't request money or house items for this as that is boring :)

I (and my girlfriend in fact) am currently studying for a masters with my job so free time is pretty limited, which makes experience gifts a little trickier for the time being

I am also a piano player

I'll try and offer other tidbits if and when required

What you guys got?

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5861
    Socks and Pants.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9774
    Ahhh yes, I already pulled that one at Christmas, my entire sock and pant provision was turned over anew over the Christmas period
    Ahhh yes, I already pulled that one at Christmas, my entire sock and pant provision was turned over anew over the Christmas period
    Lol, I just remember the days when that's what most Dad's go that from their kids. Oh and Hankies and Slippers. Happy Upcoming Birthday.

Cheers man. I hope I don't have to wait until I have kids to get the next sock/pant overhaul
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7791
    a mightily pricey bottle of booze ?

I bought the missus a £100 bottle of Cognac for Xmas, it's remarkable stuff.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7791
    or maybe a Korg Miku ?
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Paul_C said:
    a mightily pricey bottle of booze ?

I bought the missus a £100 bottle of Cognac for Xmas, it's remarkable stuff.

Crikey, I'd want a plot of land in Cognac for that much!
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3081
    Pulis merch ftw. Maybe some pristine white trainers to go with the baseball cap?
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

If I did that, I'd surely lose it as soon as I went anywhere near Aston
    No probs, serious suggestion.
    I don't know what the actual dates of your Birthday and the Moving in Date of your new home will be, but if they are close and in the right order, then, you could ask for money 
    for your Birthday from the Missus and Mum and then save it to pay for a "Moving In Gift" for the both of you of a Romantic night in a Hotel or Country Pub etc.

Well that's what I said but it was knocked back because they think I won't bother! My birthday is April Fool's day, no idea when we are moving as we must first find a house etc etc!

But yes, I rather thought for several birthdays that money to do something with when I would like to would be a great idea, but sadly nobody is ever happy to agree haha

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Groupon vouchers for afternoon tea seem to have become my family's stock in trade for birthdays. For my birthday we had ( non groupon) afternoon tea at the RSC restaurant and saw a play. Probably £100 plus for the day but it was memorable and shared with MrsTheWeary.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Now this is guitar related, but I have always quite fancied doing one of those diy guitar making kit things, but I'm not sure I'd have the time to learn how to do certain things. In particular the finishing on it, because I'd want to do something arty, so I'd have to learn how first and then not make it look like those dogs dinner ones you see on ebay and etsy haha

Well that's what I said but it was knocked back because they think I won't bother! My birthday is April Fool's day, no idea when we are moving as we must first find a house etc etc!

But yes, I rather thought for several birthdays that money to do something with when I would like to would be a great idea, but sadly nobody is ever happy to agree haha

Yeah, I see now. I missed the "Looking" in "Looking to move in together" and thought you had a date for it.

Do you Gig? You might have you eye on some new threads for on stage? And not Socks and Pants this time. I'm all out now, I'm crap.

Yeah, I see now. I missed the "Looking" in "Looking to move in together" and thought you had a date for it.

Do you Gig? You might have you eye on some new threads for on stage? And not Socks and Pants this time. I'm all out now, I'm crap.

I don't gig (I would try if I had time) no but I am a bit of a hipster clothes whore so yes that is a good one to keep in reserve, so no, you are not crap!

If I were to gig, socks and pants would be all I would wear

The groupon ones (and general experience gifts) are good, but I bought one for my girlfriend for christmas that we are struggling to use because of the often amusingly awkward Ts and Cs that go with them...eg You must use your voucher between 14:05 and 16:24 on any weekday that contains the letter T, as long as that day falls 2.5 weeks exactly since the last full moon

I would love to spend more time with folks though, however with my study and my girlfriend doing accounting study and exams seemingly non stop for ages, I may have to save those up until we can celebrate having free time again

• speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    guitar kits are plenty of fun, if i can do one anybody can haha

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Watch, cufflinks, tie, fleshlight, houseplant, kindle, tablet, games console/games, tenga flip-hole, car stereo, posh DE razor and brush, remote control helicopter, lego...
    My V key is broken
    speshul91;553541" said:
    guitar kits are plenty of fun, if i can do one anybody can haha
    I might broach the subject, trouble is I'm not sure if I'll be able to justify the need for another guitar, and for it to replace my current one it would have to be another Tele so I could reuse the posh pickups I bought for it, whereas I'd prefer ideally to make an LP or Jazzmaster type (which would also have more scope for an arty finish).

Can't help feeling that increasing the guitar collection by one when moving in with my lady is perhaps not starting off on the best foot ha ha