Constructive feedback please - or just slag me off, that's fine too!

What's Hot
So,

I'm trying to expand my You Tube audience by doing some talking type vlogs along with my playing. I want to do stuff like show off my guitars, pedals, amps, licks, vlog some gigs (especially me Germany jaunt in September) e.t.c.

Anyway, to start the ball rolling - I did this little video. My first talking to a camera video. I felt a bit of a doofus talking to a camera and I found eye contact quite hard to maintain.

I would really appreciate what you think in regards to my presentation skills and content or just anything you may wish to comment on! How can I make videos like this better? Is there anything inherintly wrong with it?

Discuss!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7806
    seems ok to me.. maybe you could try ducking the music a bit though so that the volume decreases a tad more when you speak and rises again in the breaks, especially when the music had vocals... found my self focusing on that more than what you were talking about :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited March 2015
    Have you thought about contacting you local college (Media Studies class), and collaborating with a few media students. You could access their skills and in return they get some filming experience.

• seems ok to me.. maybe you could try ducking the music a bit though so that the volume decreases a tad more when you speak and rises again in the breaks, especially when the music had vocals... found my self focusing on that more than what you were talking about :)
    I did actually have an instrumental track first but - long story short - editing issues meant that I had to use just what was on my laptop this morning so it was quick edit before I came to work! Point noted though - thank you!

Have you thought about contacting you local college (Media Studies class), and collaborating with a few media students. You could access their skills and in return they get some filming experience.
    Good idea. There is actually a media team at my work so I could also have a word with them.
  • First impressions:

Not brilliantly lit - Get some light on you!
    background is distracting and not good to look at - Maybe use a plain wall next time or put a backdrop up , even just a black sheet would do.

• The talking is fine, natural and no ego there. A wee bit of repetition in there ("never thought that..." ). When it comes to the actual vlog, it doesn't need to all be one take - I'd rather watch a video with a few edit points that flows nicely than one that is warts and all.
    For example, where you say that Rory Gallagher is the best guitarist in the world ever, that could have been a nice aside, from a different angle, i.e. "I'm going to do a piece about Rory Gallagher" *cuts to side view* "Who is, of course, the best guitarist the world has ever produced" *returns to main view "..but that is for another video..."
    kind of thing..

Generally, very good, though.

• Cheers @rockandrolldave! I appreciate you giving it attention:)

I did have quite a bit of lighting on me but I think the back light (from the curtains being open) almost undid that work!

I'm working on getting a filming corner in the house which will be neutral wallpaper with Vinyl's in frames so there is something to catch the eye. You're right about the background not being that interesting to look at in this video.

Good points in relation to me repeating myself. I think it could have been a bit shorter and more to the point. More cuts/making the video more interesting to watch with more camera angles may fix that.

Once again, thanks for your time watching it/commenting. I really appreciate it!

For the eagle eyed amongst you - I actually have 499 subscribers now. I must have done something wrong! Ha!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    I've had the briefest of looks and the 'bloke playing guitar in his bedroom' style of it looks unprofessional. Might sound daft but it needs to look serious to get taken seriously. Most of the big hitting youtubers on guitar have plain backdrops or are in a guitar room ( like the Chappers ones with a pile of amps as backdrop). If I searched on YouTube for a lesson or demo for something and scrolled down the results I doubt if I'd go to yours first.
    Of course I have clicked on links that looked pro but turned out to be shite!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I've had the briefest of looks and the 'bloke playing guitar in his bedroom' style of it looks unprofessional. Might sound daft but it needs to look serious to get taken seriously. Most of the big hitting youtubers on guitar have plain backdrops or are in a guitar room ( like the Chappers ones with a pile of amps as backdrop). If I searched on YouTube for a lesson or demo for something and scrolled down the results I doubt if I'd go to yours first.
    Of course I have clicked on links that looked pro but turned out to be shite!
    Yeah, very true. I s'pose this is a more informal type of video. Any 'proper' videos that I do should look a bit more pro (hopefully!) Watch this space...
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Good effort. It needs to be tighter and a bit more focused (I think) I know this is just an intro though.

Lose the baseball cap - wih your name I was expecting this:

Previously known as stevebrum
  • Iamnobody said:
    Good effort. It needs to be tighter and a bit more focused (I think) I know this is just an intro though.

Lose the baseball cap - wih your name I was expecting this:

I agree with tighter and more focussed!

Not so sure about the Panama hat though. I look like I've got a mis-shapen head with one of them on!
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    You smell like wee

I've not watched the video, I picked the slag you off option until I get the chance to watch it :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You need to show more cleavage.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdog said:
    You smell like wee

I've not watched the video, I picked the slag you off option until I get the chance to watch it :D
    Try harder then!

*Not to watch the video, I mean to slag me off. Use some GUSTO!
  • You need to show more cleavage.
    You need to watch my Red Tube videos.
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

Wear the hat above, drink a bottle of Jacky D, and present in the style of Sir Les Patterson.

Providing its on topic, it could well be a hit ( send fees to - Bogwhoppit makeovers inc)

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24351
    I agree.  Also, smash something every now and again to keep people's attention.  Perhaps edit in a sound effect of the police trying to break down the door whilst you're talking, then you throw an empty bottle at the door and swear at them.  Have you got a gun ?  You could pretend to be shooting critters on the floor too.

I'm not sure this is what you were looking for though.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Actually there is a void that needs filling - take on the Clarkson role and you can build your audience in no time!
  • Drew_fx said:
    Actually there is a void that needs filling - take on the Clarkson role and you can build your audience in no time!
    I could do a 5 minute rant about how I dislike 'Blacks' - and then I could do another video a week later explaining that I was referring to the walking shop, not the ethnicity.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Is there a way to make youtube videos so the still is a chosen still image rather than a random still grabbed from the middle of the video? I've definitely seen ones like that.
  • hugbot;554334" said:
    Is there a way to make youtube videos so the still is a chosen still image rather than a random still grabbed from the middle of the video? I've definitely seen ones like that.
    Yeah, not had a chance to fix it yet. Will tonight!