Constructive feedback please - or just slag me off, that's fine too!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2930
    I thought it was very good, actually, much better than I was expecting. Sometimes these 'amateur' vlogs are horrendously shit but you pulled it off and managed to keep my attention.

The comments about the background and ducking on the music are good ones. Other than that all I can say it you'll improve the more you do. Once you've been doing it a while you'll loosen up and get more of a personality (not that you don't right now). So keep at it dude.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers @Bidley I really appreciate that.

In regards to the backdrop thing, I've been thinking about it a bit more. I think it's a bit of fine line (but the comments mentioned are still valid and I'm still going to act on them) because I want my videos to look pro-ish but I'm never going out do Justin Sandercoe, Marty Schwartz, Pete Thorn, Gearman Dude, Chappers (love him or hate him) et al. So I would like a more relaxed approach without looking and sounding like a complete moron/beginner/no personality.

The vlogging thing on some gigs should hopefully drum up some business!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2414
    On the whole, great vid.  You have a friendly, accommodating approach, easy to watch and easy to understand.

In terms of constructive criticism, I'll echo what other's have said such as, not looking at the floor, having a backdrop, non-repetition, more to the point etc.

One personal criticism is, and this might sound daft, but I wouldn't have said "bollocks" at the end.  I don't have a problem with the word 'bollocks' but it stood out and your image diverged from the one you'd presented to your audience from the start.  Some people won't care, but some people will.  If you're hoping to attract as many people as possible then I'd refrain from using vulgar language.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84;554631" said:
    On the whole, great vid.  You have a friendly, accommodating approach, easy to watch and easy to understand.

In terms of constructive criticism, I'll echo what other's have said such as, not looking at the floor, having a backdrop, non-repetition, more to the point etc.

One personal criticism is, and this might sound daft, but I wouldn't have said "bollocks" at the end.  I don't have a problem with the word 'bollocks' but it stood out and your image diverged from the one you'd presented to your audience from the start.  Some people won't care, but some people will.  If you're hoping to attract as many people as possible then I'd refrain from using vulgar language.
    Once again, thank you very much for giving it your time!

You're right about the swearing at the end. I thought that when I watched it back. Ignoring it doesn't feel or sound natural, it automatically makes a video NSFW and will push potential subscribers. Point noted!

A lot of the feedback has given me confidence and the next video will be less sterile and stiff as a result. It felt weird at first but I feel much better about it now!

I genuinely thought I would be deleting it by tonight but I reckon it'll stay up instead of retaking it!
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited March 2015
    I still say go for the Panama hat!

A gimmick can make you stand out from the crowd - combined with decent content of course.

Definitely lose the background music as others have said.

Perhaps you could create a backdrop on a plain wall in your house?

Or with a rack of guitars/ amps behind you?
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2930
    In regards to the backdrop thing, I've been thinking about it a bit more. I think it's a bit of fine line (but the comments mentioned are still valid and I'm still going to act on them) because I want my videos to look pro-ish but I'm never going out do Justin Sandercoe, Marty Schwartz, Pete Thorn, Gearman Dude, Chappers (love him or hate him) et al. So I would like a more relaxed approach without looking and sounding like a complete moron/beginner/no personality.

To be honest, if you just had a wall with a couple of posters or something on it behind you, that would do the job. You don't have to have an epic backdrop.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    http://i.ytimg.com/vi/uYZnk9wcRnI/hqdefault.jpg Doesn't have to be a complicated look.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24813
    'Panama' is a remarkable name - certainly compared to the somewhat prosaic 'Jack'.

Is it a family name perchance?
    It comes from his fondness for canals. It was either Panama Jack or Birmingham and Worcester Jack.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2989
    edited March 2015
    Bad joke edit - move along!
    EricTheWeary;554806" said:
    It comes from his fondness for canals. It was either Panama Jack or Birmingham and Worcester Jack.
    I was thinking cigars....
    richardhomer;554913" said:
    [quote="EricTheWeary;554806"]It comes from his fondness for canals. It was either Panama Jack or Birmingham and Worcester Jack.
    I was thinking cigars....[/quote]

Freud might have had something to say about that...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    EricTheWeary;554914" said:
    Freud might have had something to say about that...
    Probably the same with hats - and canals too, come to think about it....
  • The Panama hat thing definitely!

Just the sort of USP that has the Americans falling over themselves to subscribe to.

"That English guitar dude with the hat is just, like, "sooooooo" eccentric" ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...