UPS repeatedly failing to deliver - any courier industry insight?

What's Hot
FreddieVanHalenFreddieVanHalen Frets: 954
edited March 2015 in Off Topic
Well, I'm not having the best of days (in terms of first world problems).

UPS has claimed to have attempted to deliver something to me twice in the last 2 days even though someone's definitely been available both times.

The call centre tells me that the depot has tried to call me back twice but it hasn't.

If you have any insight into UPS or the courier business, please could you give me some insight as to what might be going on?

Even if I never get the damned package I just would like to know for my sanity!!
Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited March 2015
    Sounds like they might have the wrong address. UPS are the best courier company I have ever used .. never had a single problem, but they're not cheap.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11640
    tFB Trader
    Rogue driver ...or even a depot that runs badly letting down the overall company reputation?

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12434
    Fretwired;556951" said:
    Sounds like they might have the wrong address. UPS are the best courier company I have ever used .. never had a single problem, but their not cheap.
    Wisdom.
    UPS are one of the best ones, sounds like a cock up on the address somewhere.
  • Hmm..I've checked the address with their call centre three times now and the address on the tracking pages on the website is defo my address....
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Hmm..I've checked the address with their call centre three times now and the address on the tracking pages on the website is defo my address....
    Is the post code right? Check where the driver thinks he is delivering to ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Tell them you will fetch from their depot. Ask them what ID they will need before they let you have your package.

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    This is unusual. I use UPS for preference because they are normally the most careful and reliable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FreddieVanHalenFreddieVanHalen Frets: 954
    edited March 2015
    Post code defo correct.

Pip appreciate that's probably the best way but the depo is miles away and I don't have a car...

Just phoned their call centre again and they claim the depot has tried to phone me in the last hour - I confirmed my number as correct with the customer service person.

Of course, there has been no call from the Barking depot - someone there is telling porkie pies.

God knows why, it looks like UPS is just refusing to either deliver to me or to phone me.

The curiosity as to what's going on is more infuriating than the lack of package!
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    Richardj said:
    This is unusual. I use UPS for preference because they are normally the most careful and reliable.
    Yep this. I always use UPS for everything and have been for a while as they are super reliable. 
  • See, this is another thing that is confusing me - everybody says they're great but my experience is now two failed deliveries and a bunch of lies about them calling me back....

This makes it even more crazy making for me 
    :((
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7816
    I hate UPS, they are prone to forge sigs, not deliver, leave stuff in the street and if you have customs charges, they NEVER have change...

They also don't handle customs well, Amazon sent me one package 15 (yes) times with UPS before it finally reached me, also Merlin Cycles had issues with them. In both cases final attempt was successful after switching to DHL...

Useless company. IME
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

UPS had an issue with our company address when we changed name. They couldn't find us any more when all the other couriers had no problem so stuff didn't get delivered for a while. Perhaps they take a while to update their address databases.

• Hi CabbageCat, we used to have that problem when this place first got built - but nothing has changed since then that I'm aware of, and that was fourteen years ago....IT problems might be a possible explanation though...
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited March 2015

I'm having a battle with Yodel at the moment. I'll swap you for your UPS issue

Or as my daughter calls them - 'Up's'.  Dad, there's an Up's van outside.   U...P fricking S....not Up's !!!!!

• @bogwoppit - ah yes, I do not envy the Nodel thing.

Well, someone from UPS finally found their way to my address.

He was nice to me. I asked him what had being going on but he said he had no idea, it had seemed easy enough to find the address for him.

I have my package. I'm off to drink camomile tea and ponder what I'm going to do about the hard drive in my iMac that has just failed. Friday the 13th. Whodathunkit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1078
    Just had my first issue with UPS missing a Gtee'ed delivery date this Wednesday therefore forcing me to take extra time off on thursday to wait around for them to arrive (take a extra day off and the fuckers turn up at 5:30 in the evening!)

Just complained to Interparcel about it and got a refund :) but as it seems they are the only company left that aren't just using any old "man with a van" i'll be forced to use them again

YODEL are just a fucking joke,i caught one of there delivery guys forging my sig after he'ed buried a motherboard in a snow bank at the back of my house,when i phoned there CS line to complain i was just ask "was it left in a safe place" wft.....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72674
    Gizmo said:

YODEL are just a fucking joke,i caught one of there delivery guys forging my sig after he'ed buried a motherboard in a snow bank at the back of my house,when i phoned there CS line to complain i was just ask "was it left in a safe place" wft.....
    Herpes did that with one of mine, but left the package in our bin which is in the back garden and can only be got to by going into the neighbours garden and climbing over the fence - not a small fence either. The neighbours were in at the time, and to get to the garden the Herpes person must have walked right past their front door, but didn't ring the bell. WTF?

We did get a £10 voucher from the vendor and a complaint lodged with Herpes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited March 2015
    Honestly the quickest way to get an answer to a complaint from a big company these days is send them a message on Twitter. They reply within minutes as everyone in the world can see your tweet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1078
    ICBM did you see this MyHerpes story a few months back? Stuck on roof...sorry sounds like he's your guy ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6220
    tFB Trader
    underdog said:
    Honestly the quickest way to get answer from to a complaint from a big company these days is send them a message on Twitter. They reply within minutes as everyone in the world can see your tweet.
    I did this to SONOS, problem was solved within 30mins of my tweet!!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com