UPS repeatedly failing to deliver - any courier industry insight?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    Gizmo said:
    ICBM did you see this MyHerpes story a few months back? Stuck on roof...sorry sounds like he's your guy ;)
    I think if it had been him, *he* would be stuck on the roof, since he clearly had a talent for climbing :).

My main regret is that the chap in our street with the large German Shepherd lives a few houses away, not next door…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    thorpy6;557260" said:
    underdog said:

Honestly the quickest way to get answer from to a complaint from a big company these days is send them a message on Twitter. They reply within minutes as everyone in the world can see your tweet.

I did this to SONOS, problem was solved within 30mins of my tweet!!
    It really does scare them in to action :D

• TheCountTheCount Frets: 274
    I booked a package to be picked up from Hackney before christmas, was UPS vias interparcel. Missed pickup date, company closed for holidays so I cancelled it and re-booked it in the new year. lots of phone calls and promises from interparcel and finally got picked up on the 4th go.

This was also dealt with by the Barking depot so maybe there lies the problem

last time I used interparcel/DPD and it went fine

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    FreddieVanHalen;36644" said:
    Well, I'm not having the best of days (in terms of first world problems).

UPS has claimed to have attempted to deliver something to me twice in the last 2 days even though someone's definitely been available both times.

The call centre tells me that the depot has tried to call me back twice but it hasn't.

If you have any insight into UPS or the courier business, please could you give me some insight as to what might be going on?

Even if I never get the damned package I just would like to know for my sanity!!
    @FreddieVanHalen
    First, did you receive an info note/we missed you card? If yes then it's been attempted.

Do you live in a house or apartment? Lots of places I go to have nowhere to leave info note which causes problems.

If you have an info note double check it, we have places where we drop parcel off so you can collect them, local shop, petrol station etc

If you spoke to the call centre they tend to tell you anything, same as any other call centre, contracted out to God knows where . I had a delivery for someone the other day who said the call centre gave him a delivery time of between 1100 and 1300, this was at 5pm, we don't give delivery times unless it's a timed delivery that's been paid for or the driver has called you or despatch has spoken directly to the driver and he's given them a rough idea of when he'll be there.

If your phone number is on the label a lot of drivers will call if there's an issue, not everyone as we use our own phones, not company ones.

Could be the drivers new, on a route they've never done or just a twat,we do have them like everywhere else.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    FreddieVanHalen;36644" said:
    Well, I'm not having the best of days (in terms of first world problems).

UPS has claimed to have attempted to deliver something to me twice in the last 2 days even though someone's definitely been available both times.

The call centre tells me that the depot has tried to call me back twice but it hasn't.

If you have any insight into UPS or the courier business, please could you give me some insight as to what might be going on?

Even if I never get the damned package I just would like to know for my sanity!!
    @FreddieVanHalen
    First, did you receive an info note/we missed you card? If yes then it's been attempted.

Do you live in a house or apartment? Lots of places I go to have nowhere to leave info note which causes problems.

If you have an info note double check it, we have places where we drop parcel off so you can collect them, local shop, petrol station etc

If you spoke to the call centre they tend to tell you anything, same as any other call centre, contracted out to God knows where . I had a delivery for someone the other day who said the call centre gave him a delivery time of between 1100 and 1300, this was at 5pm, we don't give delivery times unless it's a timed delivery that's been paid for or the driver has called you or despatch has spoken directly to the driver and he's given them a rough idea of when he'll be there.

If your phone number is on the label a lot of drivers will call if there's an issue, not everyone as we use our own phones, not company ones.

Could be the drivers new, on a route they've never done or just a twat,we do have them like everywhere else.
    BURN HIM!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Drew_fx;557669" said:

BURN HIM!!!
    Flame retardant, waterproof and Teflon coated.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• @Flink_Poyd yeah, every time I phoned the call centre it sounded like I was being routed to a different country - Netherlands and India seemed to be the most popular locations and maybe even the USA...

I think this must have been one inexperienced or bad driver - we are in a block of flats but there is a 24 hour porter and all the couriers, including UPS,  know the score of dropping parcels off with them.

In the end the guy that turned up was being super nice so I didn't push the point about asking why it had gone wrong...

Drivers not being given mobiles does seem daft - there must be loads of times that giving someone a quick call would sort out a failed delivery. I guess the courier companies must think it's cheaper to pay for fuel and drivers' time to do multiple delivery attempts than to pay for mobile phones....
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/