Playing Guitar Through Monitor Speakers

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319

For my money it depends to a large degree on what you're trying to achieve; if you're after clean, jazzy stuff or at the other end of the spectrum super-controlled high-gain multi-tracked massiveness, you'll probably get 95% of the way there with monitors or even headphones; if you want a sort of 'on-the-edge' blues, rock or punk sound you'll probably struggle with not being in the same room as a cab at decent volume to get that feedback (in both senses of the word) between guitar and speaker.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3596
    Agree with the OP, it can sound acceptable in the mix, half decent even and we are the only ones that know. But in terms of feel and player response and that intimacy with your creation - not even on the same planet for me. I'd rather drag a valve amp in its flight case to the studio than plug into the boxes available that 'everyone uses it mate' sound stale and lifeless. But if someone else is paying for the studio time you go for the fast setup sometimes.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12018
    Some here are starting with the assumption that the amps they would want to use could only ever sound like a compromise
    Has everyone tried a KPA or AF2 with proper Pro patches?
    I'd say that many peoples' amps I've tried sound nowhere near as good as a KPA or AF2
    It's only with the very best amps that I think the amps are better
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom