Converting an H2O into an MXR PHASE 45 and SWAMP THANG.

What's Hot
MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
edited March 2015 in Making & Modding
I've been using the Visual Sound H2O for years and years but it finally packed up the other week!  The parts I need to fix it aren't easily available so I decided to buy another of the version 1 pedals to replace it.  

That left me with a few options...... In the end I've decided to use the faulty pedal as a donor and use the enclosure to house a Phase 45 and Swamp Thang after stumbling across the bits box website where you can get all sorts of kits! 

http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=280_281&products_id=2044
http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=280_281&products_id=2047

The plan is to run the signal to the Phase 45 first and then into the Swamp Thang.  

This was were I was at this morning: 

At lunch time I managed to strip the H2O and do a quick paint job! (I've also drawn out the new board and started making the cuts and joints). 

This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Looks like its gonna be very cool indeed! Keep us posted ;)
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What broke on it?  The older ones used mechanical switches which eventually give out but are easy to replace. 

Newer ones have much more reliable switches. 

That said, you've begun.  Looking forward to seeing how this pans out! 
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    The chips! The delay started to do it's own thing, regardless of the controls.  Needs a new chip which apparently is no longer available. 

Turns out making a pedal is harder than it looks.  I've started on the boards - cutting them down, doing the joints and cuts..... It's quite a fiddly job! I'll try and get some components on it today at lunch depending on how busy we are. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    edited March 2015
    Kudos for a cool DIY pedal project 

I'd be interested in the H2O if it's still about :)

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    frankus said:

you mean the old board from the faulty one? Yeah I have that.  the chorus side works. If you send me a stamped addressed envelope I'll send it to you. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattFGBI said:
    frankus said:

you mean the old board from the faulty one? Yeah I have that.  the chorus side works. If you send me a stamped addressed envelope I'll send it to you. 
    If @frankus changes his mind, I'll be up on that, too! 

The chorus side is lovely. 
  • MattFGBI said:
    frankus said:

If @frankus changes his mind, I'll be up on that, too! 

The chorus side is lovely. 
    In the post to frankus!

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2015
    Got some bits in there at lunch time.... yeah, it's a bit messy. I'm not the neatest pedal maker it seems. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    They are better messy - it's the vintage mojo. You should see my tone bender if you think yours is a mess!
    I'm such a scuffer at soldering chips I always socket them.

Is that a complete pedal? the part cound is impressively low if so - I'd be interested in either a phase45 or a swamp thing alike - if I ever get time to get back into serious soldering.
    That's the bits I can easily identify.... Got all the resistors to put on now, LED's, jacks and switch! The resistors are the hard part because I have to decipher all the stupid lines. Why they don't write on there I don't know. There's about 20 I think. 

contactemea@fender.com 

I just use a multitester... at one point I'd read them but I'd still multitest them :D £5 well spent :)
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I use a multitester too, half the time I can't tell what's meant to be orange and what's meant to be brown
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3132
    tFB Trader
    Trick is to put the components on in order of height. Links first, then diodes, resistors, ICs, small ceramic capacitors, transistors, and finally electrolytic. That way when you turn the board over to solder at each component level everything stays pressed down flush, nice and neat.

Also I'd recommend socketing the transistors on the 45, works better if they're resonably closely matched, so with sockets you can easily change them without de-soldering. :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    How's this going @MattFGBI?
    Got all the bits on..... signal is going through but no effect. Going over the joints in a min. 

This is all just the Phase 45, haven't started the Trem yet! 

contactemea@fender.com 

• MattFGBI said:
    Got all the bits on..... signal is going through but no effect. Going over the joints in a min. 

Have you started to bias the JFets yet?  If they are way off you will get signal but no effect.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

MattFGBI said:

Have you started to bias the JFets yet?  If they are way off you will get signal but no effect.
    What does this mean? 

contactemea@fender.com