EVH 5150III S

What's Hot
Si_Si_ Frets: 384
edited March 2015 in Amps
New modified version of the 5150 III.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I thought they released the stealth edition as a limited run a while back. So is this a production version?
  • If anyone needs more gain than a 5150iii channel 3 they should consider playing a flamethrower instead.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I actually cannot think of any situation where I have played on the red channel and thought "You know what this needs? A bit more gain..." Holy crap! 
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 610
    edited March 2015
    meh...

bought one last year when they first came out and sold it after one gig the regular 5150iii kicks its ass!
    way too much gain and doesnt clean up well off the guitars volume pot
    A lot of people on rig talk also sent theirs packing!

• MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    edited March 2015
    I think the 50 watt is the best of these.....Here's mine (yes, I'm playing a Gibson): 

This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24782
    Are they going to sort out the retarded volume jump between channel 1 and 2?

That is the only thing that stops it from being the best of the small (ish) form amps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • firks91firks91 Frets: 104

That is the only thing that stops it from being the best of the small (ish) form amps.
    thats the main reason ive not gone for one yet. that and the overdriven tone sounds badass but not too versatile. very hard sound imo
    Channel one is either clean or dirty and that determines how you have channel 3 set up. I run channel one as clean and then use channel 3 as my main rhythm / overdrive channel. 

If you have the gain on a higher setting on channel one it does bring one and two closer in volume but you won't have a pure clean tone. 

In reality it's a 2 channel amp, with 2 voices in the first channel - you just have to pick one. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• karltonekarltone Frets: 61
    I don't find an issue with the channel 1 and 2 on the EVH 50 watt. With the gain at 1 o'clock its perfect for me, you get a bit of hair on the clean which gives you a bit of jangle. A lot depends on your setup, pickups etc. and whether you want an absolute pristine clean.

As Lee said the standard 100 sounds better
    www.karltone.co.uk    Dealer in Valves and bits and bobs   www.facebook.com/karltonevalves
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1134
    i had the original 100w version, and why anyone would want to voice the blue channel to sound more like the red is beyond me, the blue channel was the best thing about that amp

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7505
    edited March 2015

It's such a shame they do this. 

As an alternative, there is the Peavey 3120 - I think it's supposed to be similarly voiced, but with a proper clean channel.  Could be wrong, though, I've not tried one. 

Full size head, mind :( 
  • MattFGBI said:
    I think the 50 watt is the best of these.....Here's mine (yes, I'm playing a Gibson): 

I enjoyed that.  Just giving the studio recordings a listen here http://www.killingvegas.com/ ;

Doesn't look like much has happened since 2010 did you guys split up?
    edited March 2015

We all have kids and "proper jobs" these days so it's hard to find the time to fit anything in! Hopefully we'll get something recorded and "released" this year.  Might even do a gig....

contactemea@fender.com 

• Yeah I appreciate that.  Anyway I enjoyed listening to it, if you guys record any more stuff post it up on the forum.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    MattFGBI said:
    Channel one is either clean or dirty and that determines how you have channel 3 set up. I run channel one as clean and then use channel 3 as my main rhythm / overdrive channel. 

If you have the gain on a higher setting on channel one it does bring one and two closer in volume but you won't have a pure clean tone. 

In reality it's a 2 channel amp, with 2 voices in the first channel - you just have to pick one. 
    Nice to see some honesty from the UK reps. The American side jump thru hoops to convince anyone who doesn't like the way the amp works that they're using it wrong.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445

Also yeah, this is the main reason I sold mine.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2755
    I'd agree - channel two is awesome.    I do run overdrives in from of mine (50w head)  but not for exta gain - I think there's plenty!

Running it 4cm cures the volumes issues but if it was right I could just use the amp footswitch with a delay in the fx loop and be happy to gig as is.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24782
    MattFGBI;563505" said:

Then redesign the pedal board so it doesn't have a redundant switch on it taking up 6 inches of board space. Then have an Either/Or switch on the amp to pick the voicing.

And call it a 2 channel amp.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • danbandanban Frets: 343
    Haha I didn't realise you were in a band with Pablo? The guys a great dude and a cracking bassist @mattfgbi
    danban said:
    Haha I didn't realise you were in a band with Pablo? The guys a great dude and a cracking bassist @mattfgbi
    He's not too bad!

contactemea@fender.com