Delay Pedals

What's Hot
After the great discussion last week on compressor pedals im back to find out what the most popular delay pedal/pedals are.
Iv selected three of my favorites,
Boss DD3
TC Flashback 
Strymon Timeline 

What do you guys think of these, and what alternatives that you would recommend 

You no the deal people, comments and opinions welcome lets have some fun! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7213

Empress SuperDelay is spectacular. Fairfield Circuitry Meet Maude is as good as they get for fans of leftfield weird noises.

and I want a Moog MF104m. It'll happen.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I'm reserving judgement until the Source Audio Nemesis comes out.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Eventide Timefactor

they're really versatile - reverb, tape, chorus, flange, reverse, looper, boost, ring modulator, leslie effect, freeze, tap tempo/note based/time-based, doubles as a midi controller (allegedly)

add an aux switch to the timefactor and you can arrange all the patches in groups for songs - 2 available on a bank so dedicated footstomps.

also uses an expression pedal

EHX SMMH - a lot of theabove effects - a better reverse and 8 saved locations...
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    Skreddy Echo, T-Rex Replica and Providence Chrono are all floating my boat at the moment! 
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    The Vox delaylab would be perfect if not for a few little niggles, I'm getting my second one this week mind because nothing at that pricepoint beats it for feature set.

DD7 Ive owned 3 times, does exactly what it says on the tin and sound great doing it.

I really like the tape sound on the flashback, and its clear repeats that pop out of the mix. Not so keen on the lack of front panel knobs for mod and the fact it cant oscillate. Its clean and hifi but doesent sound warm and melty.

Deep blue delays are fun because they are very warm and sound good pretty much whereever you set them.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27246
    Eventide Timefactor for me. As Frank says, with the Aux switch it's *brilliant* for live use. It also has the best stereo delays (on all patches) that I've ever used, allowing ms or bpm-with-musical-subdivisions for each side of the sound. And to my ears it sounds better than the Timeline.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    frankus said:
    Eventide Timefactor

they're really versatile - reverb, tape, chorus, flange, reverse, looper, boost, ring modulator, leslie effect, freeze, tap tempo/note based/time-based, doubles as a midi controller (allegedly)

add an aux switch to the timefactor and you can arrange all the patches in groups for songs - 2 available on a bank so dedicated footstomps.

EHX SMMH - a lot of theabove effects - a better reverse and 8 saved locations...
    Eventide Timefactor has no MIDI ability though is that correct?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815
    edited March 2015
    what a dull selection!

Another vote for the Empress, especially the VM version, only let down is that it is not midi compatible :(
    So that leads me to the flighttime which is extremely good, sounds huge and has good midi.

Another option you can have the stereo Neunaber Echleon v2 which can be reprogrammed to be any other Neuenaber effect
    Skreddy Echo
    Pigtronix echolution 2
    and how about the back to the future flux capacitor delay thingy from @4114Effects
    The little mooers are great for the cheaper options too,

• GavHaus Hi Gav  thanks for getting involved again, the empress stuff is all great cant fault your taste!

frankus  stickyfiddle I can see the Eventide Timefactor being very popular, its a brilliant pedal thanks guys

Majorscale Thanks for getting involved, the T-rex stuff is great im a big fan off all the providence pedals as well, iv never played the skreddy Echo but iv heard great things, what is it you like about it?

hugbot What problems do you have with the vox delay lab? I love the DD7 used one for years, i agree with you on the deeo blue delay as well, its great for just adding that little bit extra to lead or solo parts

frankus said:
    Eventide Timefactor

Mine definitely has MIDI...

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    frankus said:
    Eventide Timefactor

Cool. Can you select delay and a modulation at the same time as a preset?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3999
    My favourite so far is the TC Flashback X4.

The next one I want to try is the Strymon El Capistan.
    frankus said:
    Eventide Timefactor

<photo>
    Cool. Can you select delay and a modulation at the same time as a preset?
    Sort of. You can have straight modulation by setting delay time to zero and wet/dry to full. You could probably do that on one side of the delay line and then use the other side for your delay. That would give you modulated sound and delay w/mod but I'm struggling to remember what wet/dry mix you could do there without the pedal in front of me.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727

I like my Diamond Memory Lane Junior.  I used a Zoom G3 before that and tbh only sold it on for a change and because I'm shallow and the Zoom looks pretty cheap with the 3 yellow displays.  But the zoom delays are as good as anything I've heard and have the G3 has the advantage of not cutting off tails when you tap, it keeps going and adjusts. 

I really wish Zoom would bring out a pedal like the MS70CDR with tap tempo built in, smaller than a G3 but bigger than their single stomps.

I tried the timeline, it was nice.  A bit more clarity than the Zoom but ironically I feel that makes the Strymon stuff sound not quite as pleasing and warm an the Zoom.

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    The Echolution 2 is by some way the most interesting and best tonally I've had. For brilliant straightforward delay emulations the TC Alter Ego v2 is great

• Teetonetal Thanks for getting involved! Those are just the pedals that we sell the most of in store :) 
    The Neunaber audio stuff is really cleaver, have you played any of there pedals?

The flight time is another really smart piece of kit nice selection!
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Boss DD-6, or for cheap Digitech Digidelay. Both are good unless you want tap tempo. Yes both have it, but it's awkward to switch on.

Analogue wise the Visual Sound Axle Grease is good. And can get mental with the wobbliness at higher settings.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• menamestom Interesting choice thanks for getting involved menamestom :)

JohnPerry  Thanks for getting involved, Pigtronix stuff seems to get a lot of love, im also a fan for the alter ego, nice choices!

• Sounds_Great_MusicSounds_Great_Music Frets: 68
    edited March 2015

mike_l  The axle greese is great! I love that pedal
    I also have a soft spot for the boss stuff, its great for my playing style as i never really use tap tempo