Delay Pedals

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815
    dunstanmus;564455" said:
    Free the Tone Flight Time gets very near to rack quality. Just a bummer it is instrument level.

Cheers Rich
    So it doesn't like being placed in an fx loop?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not in a hot one. Really good in an instrument level loop.
  • Thanks for all the brilliant comments on this guys!
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660

I've owned Boss and the TC Flashback delays in the past. They both represented what I dislike most about digital delays, cold and sterile.

I currently own a Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay and what it lacks in features it makes up for in quality. It is by far the best sounding delay I've owned. I also recently bough a Strymon El Capistan which I really like, very versatile. In fact more features than I need but it is excellent.

If I had to choose one though it would be the Mad Professor......easily.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    frankus said:
    Eventide Timefactor

they're really versatile - reverb, tape, chorus, flange, reverse, looper, boost, ring modulator, leslie effect, freeze, tap tempo/note based/time-based, doubles as a midi controller (allegedly)

add an aux switch to the timefactor and you can arrange all the patches in groups for songs - 2 available on a bank so dedicated footstomps.

also uses an expression pedal

EHX SMMH - a lot of theabove effects - a better reverse and 8 saved locations...
    Eventide Timefactor has no MIDI ability though is that correct?
    Mine definitely has MIDI...

<photo>
    Cool. Can you select delay and a modulation at the same time as a preset?
    Sort of. You can have straight modulation by setting delay time to zero and wet/dry to full. You could probably do that on one side of the delay line and then use the other side for your delay. That would give you modulated sound and delay w/mod but I'm struggling to remember what wet/dry mix you could do there without the pedal in front of me.
    I've hooked up a temporary switch with a resistor to be a cocked expression pedal so I can use that for a kill switch, boost and rate increase for the chorus on the time factor. I was toying with making a circuit so it was latching or temporary but it'd probably be cheaper to make two pedals instead.

Anyway I can use the switch to trigger any expression values - so that can include wet and dry mix or delay time or chorus speed or flanger speed, stuff...
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • SidNewton thanks for getting involved Sid :)
  • Im using an EQD Disaster Transport SR and a Line 6 Echo Park.

Love the reverse delays, swells and sweeps on the Echo Park, plus the tap and subdivisions come in handy.

The Disaster Transport SR is the delay pedal that just keeps on giving.

The Maxon AD999 is a big favourite of mine although i dont have one at the moment.

Id love to try Dr Scientist's Sunny Day Delay and those OBNE sounds exciting too. The monifooger is on my shopping list as a replacement for the AD999, which i stupidly sold.

There's so many good one's, i could easily become obsessed with delay alone.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30949
    Flight Time miles better than Timeline

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    I had a TC Flashback which was really flexible and could do a lot, but found I had it set permanently to analogue and it still sounded a bit perfect to my ears. So I swapped it for a Carbon Copy and I really like it.

I don't need tap tempos as usually I've just got it set as a slapback or pseudo reverb. Or landing TARDIS impressions.
  • EHX DMM is the best I've owned. Sold it as I needed more tap tempo and presets (replaced with a TC Alter Egox4) . Can't beat the sound of the Memory Man though.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22252
    EHX DMM is the best I've owned. Sold it as I needed more tap tempo and presets (replaced with a TC Alter Egox4) . Can't beat the sound of the Memory Man though.
    It can take a long time to find a really good one though and recalibrating them can take time. I'd rather have a VMSD on the board. 

As for the three original choices, the DD3 is good in that price bracket but not as good as the Ibanez DE7. Flashback: decent but I'd take the DD-7. 

Timeline: ho ho. VMSD please. 

If I had to stick to three delay pedals for my board, it would be the EHX SMMH for looping reverse crazy multi tap lovely fun, the VMSD for warbly tape style Boards of Canada fun and the Pearl AD-08 for straight up analog love. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6172
    My personal favourite is the old Carlsbro (now vintage) Echo

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sounds_Great_MusicSounds_Great_Music Frets: 68
    edited March 2015
    http://www.soundsgreatmusic.com/blogs/news/19098959-danny-t-takes-a-look-at-boss-delays

Thanks everybody! I went with boss pedals as everyone seems to speak quite highly of them, i would have loved to have done it on the timefactor but we dont sell them so that would have been a bit silly!

Also we shall look into trying to stock some of the werid and wonderful ones that everybody mentioned in the future :)
  • FezFez Frets: 536
    Currently on my board I have a Vox Time machine which is OK but the decay of the repeats seems to drop off suddenly (rather than linearly). This replaced the Line 6 Echo park which had a good feature set but was noisy and I hate the tiny flimsy line 6 knobs. Also legend unreadable on dark stage.
    Sid now has me jonesing for the mad proff one. Should have tried one when I was in the shop last Saturday, never mind I will see you next time I am up from Sussex.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1028
    I have a Nova TC repeater, does the job for me or sometimes I use the Line6 M5 to add a few more delays. The line 6 is worth checking out (not OD) as you can use it for Chorus, Phaser, etc

“Ken sent me.”
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I have a few for different uses:

Moore Ana Echo on my acoustic pedalboard. I needed a small, easy to use delay to just add some subtle effect. I really like this pedal for this purpose

El cap and Echo Park are on my ambient board. There's not a lot that can't be achieved with these two and I find them to be very inspirational. Putting one into the other can lead to hours of ideas without bringing any other effects into the equation.

Finally Eventide H9. I have 5 of these, with one Max'd out giving me all algorithms on all units. I have two on my live board, one on my ambient board though it's not used for delay there, one on my acoustic board which again is not for delay and finally one for my 'home board' which I use for, well, playing at home. The H9 is an incredible unit which has the algorithms from the Timefactor and as others have said before, these are fantastic. Add the iPad app into the mix for controlling all aspects of patches and its money I'm glad I saved up to spend in this way.