Went to Legoland Windsor yesterday

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12487
    edited March 2015
    I was desperate to have lego as a kid. Never got any (or mecanno) despite pleading with the parents every birthday and xmas, so I bought a load when my kids were little. I think I was probably more obsessed with it than they were. I much preferred the old school simple stuff that uses the imagination rather than the modern "only-makes-one-thing" kits though.

Plus one on the phone/tablet business too. We're becoming a nation of people obsessed with the things. I was at the O2 for The Who last night and I'd guess half the audience were watching their phones instead of the band. Friggin ridiculous.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12452
    But they don't only make one thing - ze possibilities are endleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Dalefty said:
    I loved lego as a kid, and we kept it all, so now I have kids of my own they have a mixture of my old lego and a few new sets.
    Be honest you spend more time playing with the lego than your kid does.

DaLefty

These castles were all my own work ;-) http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj563/not_the_dj/2F8D3AEB-34CD-47D6-9F73-40F41419B2C0_zps888hvbt6.jpg I don't know anyone that could walk past a pile of lego like this without picking up a few pieces and letting their imagination take over...best toy in the world. http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj563/not_the_dj/8A075F0B-92D9-4725-A2C8-D5D3E6176693_zpse06lg3cw.jpg
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    edited March 2015
    Me and my brothers built these awesome space ships, mine was the best because it had a wing at the front that could change the structure of matter... and that meant that no matter what, I always won every space battle. One of my brothers' ships was basically a huge brick with a cannon on the front, you could have thrown that thing from the roof and it would have sat unbroken at the bottom of its own crater. My other brother, who wanted to be an architect at the time, built a spaceship that was so thin it couldn't even support its own weight and inevitably every game would end with his ship spontaniously shattering, him in tears and me and my other bro pissing ourselves.

Lego.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72956
    boogieman said:
    I was desperate to have lego as a kid. Never got any (or mecanno) despite pleading with the parents every birthday and xmas
    What were they thinking? That's child cruelty. Should have been reported to social services...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

There's a great free Lego Stop Motion App for iPhone (and I guess other platforms). We're starting to mess around with that after watching this the other month:

• DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    There's a great free Lego Stop Motion App for iPhone (and I guess other platforms). We're starting to mess around with that after watching this the other month:

There is also a website I don't know what it is called or what it's address is - I read about the website on the BBC News website, that will create a set of instructions for you on how to build anything out of lego from either a photo of what you want to build or a CAD file of the 3d model of it.

DaLefy
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
    jonnyburgo;570008" said:
    But they don't only make one thing - ze possibilities are endleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
    I thought the parts were all custom shapes?

• toescantalktoescantalk Frets: 144
    Yep, my 5 year old and I both love Lego. And we're off for the family hols to Legoland in October.

I'll probably be banned from any of the shops in case I buy the Death Star or something, as I'm a bit of a fan of the Star Wars stuff. Thinking of getting something slightly smaller in case of a rainy day in Easter (any excuse really). 

boogieman said:
    jonnyburgo;570008" said:

With each new kit you get a fair few custom bits, but still a load of the good ol' standard bricks. 

My lads into diggers, so he's had a few of the Lego City sets, but with a little imagination, and a few other bits, there's still certainly the possibility for them to build something from their own imagination.

Still following the instructions gives them great practice in visualising 3D objects.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16337
    boogieman said:
    I was desperate to have lego as a kid. Never got any (or mecanno) despite pleading with the parents every birthday and xmas, so I bought a load when my kids were little. I think I was probably more obsessed with it than they were. I much preferred the old school simple stuff that uses the imagination rather than the modern "only-makes-one-thing" kits though.

Plus one on the phone/tablet business too. We're becoming a nation of people obsessed with the things. I was at the O2 for The Who last night and I'd guess half the audience were watching their phones instead of the band. Friggin ridiculous.

I never had meccano, lego or scalextrix as a kid. My kids have had a lot of lego, my 19 year old still receives kits for birthdays and xmas. Mostly when playing lego with my kids we focused on building the highest possible tower of bricks before it collapsed.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited March 2015
    not_the_dj;570069" said:
    boogieman said:

jonnyburgo;570008" said:But they don't only make one thing - ze possibilities are endleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

With each new kit you get a fair few custom bits, but still a load of the good ol' standard bricks. 

My lads into diggers, so he's had a few of the Lego City sets, but with a little imagination, and a few other bits, there's still certainly the possibility for them to build something from their own imagination.

Still following the instructions gives them great practice in visualising 3D objects.
    Ah, fair enough, I thought you could only build the one thing.
    edited March 2015
     Mostly when playing lego with my kids we focused on building the highest possible tower of bricks before it collapsed.
    We do that with Duplo. We're quite skilled now at getting a tower from the floor to the dining room ceiling.

We then drive toy tractors into it and film it in slow motion.

(My wife works Saturdays so me and the kids get to play all day, it's great)

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj563/not_the_dj/BF535E2A-C002-48E2-B289-A1E4FB9E1410_zpsk9ztgery.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    You're all doing it wrong. The best thing about lego is having a set of instructions to follow and having something that looks exactly like the one on the box. 

Mmm, order.
    My V key is broken
  • Calm down, Lord Business