Am I being a cheapskate?

What's Hot

Comments

• ForgeForge Frets: 431
    Naaah....a cheapskate is someone who uses a £5 lead between a Gibson R9 and a vintage JMP.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    I get most of my work shirts from charity shops, buggered if I'm paying more than six or seven quid for something to go to work in and my wardrobe's full of Next / Ben Sherman / M&S stuff that's lasted me years (and still has loads of life in it). Sure, you have to hunt around a bit but when you find something perfect it's really satisfying, and you're helping a charidee out too. Win/win.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12456
    Wis for that @IanSavage, I love the chazzers
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27667
    Not sure if you can get them in UK but I have a bunch of Banana Republic (posh brand by Gap) slim fit non-iron work shirts. Very nice and the oldest are now a year old and in very good shape. Don't see why I wouldn't get at least another year from em. £50 at Dubai prices so might be a bit less at home. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Go on ebay and search using terms like 'ex high street' or m*s and you find Marks's £20 or £30 shirts for less than a tenner. New but unlabelled.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3598
    I work in a business that does manufacturing, you know metal and shit. Some days I anticipate being in the factory fixing computer hardware or leading guests around etc.

So while I have shirts that are quality, for those days where interface with machines is likely I wear Asda/George Tesco/FF or other cheap stuff. Some of these are quite acceptable at around a tenner and if they get marked or torn it's no big loss. Same for suits, I have a couple of reasonable fitting supermarket branded things for those days for the same reason. They are not like a fitted/tailored garment but I can toss them when they get marked because at £49.99 +/- they cost less than most of my proper shirts.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9982

I think maybe I must have got the 2-3 month thing off the super cheap ones, the basic thin type Primark ones which granted are less good quality and last less time, however at £6 a time, they don't last a 5th of the time of a TM Lewin.

I'm currently rocking a Zara thick cotton one, some kind of weave texture to it. Always gets comments how smart it looks, and the shoulders are about right. Cost me a huge £9 (along with a few other casual ones at the same price), thus exemplifies I think the angle I am coming at it from - good shirts can be had for cheap. I've had at least two full priced Charles Terwitt-Terwoo's that I've thrown out after a month for being horrible saggy material and one that felt like I was wrapped in cellophane, contrarywise I've got a lovely Primark pink one that I've had for ages that is only just showing signs of aging. Win some lose some I think.

Just not keen on potentially "losing some" when buying bits of cotton! Prefer spending money on stuff I wear for myself outside of work, rather than paying lots of money just to wear what the bosses deem are work clothes and look the same as the accountants, peace and love man/power to the people. No wonder people say they have no money :)

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    For thinking that collar shirts for work should be findable for around £10? The ones dotted about the usual places seem to be nearer £20 and the only difference between them an a £6 Primark one is a fancy set of buttons? Finding loads under £25 that are quite see through as well
    Last year I got a three pack of M&S white shirts for £25 .. good quality as well. The price has gone up to £10 a shirt ..

http://www.marksandspencer.com/3-pack-easy-care-classic-collar-shirts/p/p22288157

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16059
    rlw said:
    You are being a cheapskate.

A decent poplin cotton shirt suitable for work is going to cost at least £60, more for a bit of quality.

An Oxford cotton will maybe be £50 for a very average shirt.

£10.00.  What are you on?
    I'm lookin' for a SUIT for £10
    tae be or not tae be
    hootsmon said:
    rlw said:

A decent poplin cotton shirt suitable for work is going to cost at least £60, more for a bit of quality.

Cheap at half the price
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    I get my shirts from the neighbour free.  Nice expensive '70's jobs too and good cotton.  A friend's husband died of a brain haemorrhage so I got his shirts too and a waterproof coat and trousers for free.  Get in!
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    TK MAXX.
    I don't buy many clothes these days because I'm not intimidated by the fashion police but if I need anything cheap my first port of call is TK Maxx followed by charity shops.
    Ah see I am a bit of a hipster wannabe, which I guess explains my reluctance for M&S,Next, TK Maxx and TM lewin ;)
    I basically wear a uniform, day in, day out, which consists of ten pairs of identical works trousers sourced in bulk as cheaply as possible, a Hanes vest, Hanes pants, Hanes socks and a Hanes hoody, all bought in bulk from Walmart, USA, Meindel boots and the one fashion item, a T shirt, usually from Walmart, as I stocked up on printed Tees.  Also I rarely wash so that makes it even easier.  My life is actually very dull, but I feel secure and manly in my uniform.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11417
    Sambostar said:
    I basically wear a uniform, day in, day out, which consists of ten pairs of identical works trousers .
    worn all at once?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Another vote for Charles Tywritt. You can get a slim fit too, you tight arse.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    scrumhalf said:
    Sambostar said:
    I basically wear a uniform, day in, day out, which consists of ten pairs of identical works trousers .
    worn all at once?
    Yes, I have skinny legs
    iseverynamegone;570597" said:
    Another vote for Charles Tywritt. You can get a slim fit too, you tight arse.
    If you mean in order to fit me, yes I know, it's only CT's that do fit consistently, i find most brands slim fit to not be all that slim, and get bunching up somebody else mentioned
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4757
    hootsmon said:
    rlw said:

I will sell you all of mine for that - too small now...........
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7419
    I got a few shirts from Asda George for £10 and 3 years later they're still fine...