Am I being a cheapskate?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2754
    Debenhams ftw  - catch a sale and get something reasonable :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Ah see I am a bit of a hipster wannabe, which I guess explains my reluctance for M&S,Next, TK Maxx and TM lewin ;)
    They're all made in a sweat shop in China .. pay a premium for a label if you want ... :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    My solution to this problem was to introduce a company shirt - the whole team wear a grey shirt with the company name embroidered above the pocket.
    Now I get a new set of shirts every 6 months for nowt
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9967
    Fretwired;570672" said:
    thecolourbox said:

Ah see I am a bit of a hipster wannabe, which I guess explains my reluctance for M&S,Next, TK Maxx and TM lewin ;)

They're all made in a sweat shop in China .. pay a premium for a label if you want ... :-)
    My point is rather about NOT paying the premium haha it was more a but if a snobby slight on the old fashioned styling of those particular retailers ha ha
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Go down your local market, you can get shirts for a couple of quid each ;)
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    edited March 2015
    For thinking that collar shirts for work should be findable for around £10? The ones dotted about the usual places seem to be nearer £20 and the only difference between them an a £6 Primark one is a fancy set of buttons? Finding loads under £25 that are quite see through as well
    It depends on your job really. If you work in the sort of industry where no-one is going to notice what sort of shirt you're wearing or care if they do notice then just go with the £10 option. If you don't then buy a couple of £60 items, kill all of your colleagues, burn down the building and then finish yourself off with a hot Stanley blade.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    We've got this great big box in the middle of town that is full of clothes and you can just help yourself. 

Other than that, OP this might be the place for you... http://www.everything5pounds.com/

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12449
    Sambostar said:
    scrumhalf said:
    Sambostar said:
    I basically wear a uniform, day in, day out, which consists of ten pairs of identical works trousers .
    worn all at once?
    Yes, I have skinny legs

"OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TM Lewin are great Iove there jumpers
    Old Is Gold
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9967

I forgot to write a review of my New Shirt Day on Wednesday actually. I bombed out of the shops I was looking in and got a lovely thick cotton blue Oxford weave style shirt, with cuff links, for a great whacking....£10 :) I shan't say where from, but suffice to say it is a nicer shirt than the crap ones I got from Moss previously, and looked quite nice, a decent fit, nice thick chunky material. Somebody asked me if i was going out after work, so must have either looked nice or they thought I looked like I was going to the pub. I'll say it's the former :)

Got me out of my pickle of having forgot my overnight bag for the next day in any case.

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    I bought a lot of "Baracuta" and "Merc London" shirts that could be picked up for a song on eBay. I'd always vowed to never pay more than a tenner and I never did - sometimes I'd get stuff for 99p! They'd be alright, but the buttons were never seen on particularly well so my wife was forever out with the needle and thread!

These days it's Charles Tyrwhitt all the way - cracking shirts, very easy to iron (and I do ALL the ironing in our house!), they're hard wearing and best of all the buttons are sewn on properly! I also think their customer service is excellent.
    We are all Chameleons...
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24780
    Surely to get a new shirt one simply has to call one's favourite tailor?
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4366
    edited March 2015
    Surely to get a new shirt one simply has to call one's favourite tailor?

This. If you want it fit properly. Sean O'Flynn or Stephen Lachter on Sackville St are very good. 

For casual shirts, TM Lewin are good value if you get the cuffs adjusted so they fit properly.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to