Best news website?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
Been using the BBC for years to catch up on daily news, but the Gits have gone and redesigned it with a horrible new interface. Hate it. Why can't people sodding we'll leave stuff alone! Any recommendations for news websites? I need a new one
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24694
    Have you seen what they've done to the mobile app ?  I had to uninstall it.  Utter shit.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Telegraph.
    My V key is broken
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    The onion

Newsthump
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Glad I'm not the only one who hates the new bbc site. Sadly all my preferred news websites have been redesigned lately and I now can't stand any of them.

Still, no news is good news, eh? Just means I spend more time on here building up gas. :(
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Yuck was my first reaction too but I'm getting used to it. Ultimately this is IMO the best news outlet on the web worldwide. The rewards are there as they say.

The Guardian's the one I'm having trouble with getting to grips with now after a redesign.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27757
    They're all shit. 

I read guardian (avoiding the comments full of liberal hand-wringers) and telegraph (avoiding the comments full of racists and blindly-following-UKIP-idiots) but tbh neither is any good on its own and both wind me up. The Times used to be ok but behind a paywall so feck that. 

BBC seems ok for facts but they're getting so dumbed down it's like they have a filter to remove all words of more than 2 syllables. And their lack of proofreading drives me bonkers.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2957
    I really dislike the new BBC layout and made that clear to them in feedback as part of the beta testing of it.  Its stark and glaring.   Unfortunately its also probably still the best.

Many sites are shifting to the new format,  The Guardian and Independent have recently done it and they all look and feel grim to use and navigate.

Apparently it the future.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27087
    Facebook.

Means I get my friends doing all the filtering for me.
    <space for hire>
  • I find it annoying that the daily mail, which I dislike on so many levels, actually has IMO the most simple and comprehensive layout.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27757
    They're all shit. 

I read guardian (avoiding the comments full of liberal hand-wringers) and telegraph (avoiding the comments full of racists and blindly-following-UKIP-idiots) but tbh neither is any good on its own and both wind me up. The Times used to be ok but behind a paywall so feck that. 

BBC seems ok for facts but they're getting so dumbed down it's like they have a filter to remove all words of more than 2 syllables. And their lack of proofreading drives me bonkers.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I've stopped reading or watching news, I used to be all over it and be quite well informed. I'd rather read a book or watch a film nowadays.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    i paper. It's only 40p and sort of summarises the news and the photos they use are often hilarious. I've tried a few news websites but they just annoy me with their celebrity heavy content.
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    Playboy.com and penthouse.com have always been my favourite news sites.

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    They're all shit. 

They also keep reprinting the same story... :)

Not a big fan of the BBC redesign either, will probably get used to it. Don't like that they've cut the headlines from subsections down. Apparently there's only one story worth reading from scotland, northern ireland or wales.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11440
    BBC's re-design is shocking. It takes ages to find some simple news item now, the assumption seems to be that you want to watch or hear rather than read.

It takes so long to get a simple cricket score update, you need to know where to go so as to avoid multiple loading of multiple screens, each of which points you towards the cricket scores without actually giving them to you.

Strange how both the Beeb and the Gruaniad have sunk fortunes into crap website re-designs.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    Woah, just checked and the new BBC site is awful!
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    scrumhalf said:
    BBC's re-design is shocking. It takes ages to find some simple news item now, the assumption seems to be that you want to watch or hear rather than read.

I noticed that today, it's like they don't expect you to read anything it's all videos - which I can watch but not listen to on this PC which has no sound. Useless. Just as annoying as hearing a Today presenter either interrupting an interviewee for the umpteenth time, or telling the correspondent what the story is and then expecting him/her to agree and expand, when usually no expansion is available at the time.

I may give up with "news", until the Russians or the Jihadists invade Bury St Edmunds ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11522
    Agree new BBC site is horrible.

I use combination of BBC, Guardian, Torygraph, Independent and Evening Standard, and occasionally one of the American sites to get a different viewpoint.  At least that way I don't get force fed one political viewpoint.  It is a pity the Times is behind the paywall now.  It was the best individual site.

@scrumhalf ; - Cricinfo is better than BBC for Cricket scores, although that's not nearly as good as it used to be before ESPN took over.  Andy Zaltzman's stuff on there is very funny as well.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Watch season 5 of The Wire.
    Never read newspapers again.
    ???
    Profit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    I use Feedly as an aggregator for new sites' RSS feeds. I snag from the BBC amongst others and then if you want to read the full staory after reading the heading and subheading you can go directly to the story rather than go through the main site.