Junior GAS

What's Hot
cm01cm01 Frets: 490
edited April 2015 in Guitar
I P/X'd one of my Greco LP's with zenzephyr against this beauty, it turned up yesterday and I took it straight to practise and let rip!  It's a corker of a guitar, the beefy neck is fantastic and it sounds amazing.  The crappy pics were taken on my phone and don't really do the finish justice, it's a great relic job, the crazing is lovely... It was all I used last night, made me realise how versatile a good one pickup guitar can be.

imageimageimageimageimage
0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    That is a proper beauty - can't beat a good LP Jr

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Welcome to the club fella   :)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • Bloody lovely!!
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 490
    I really didn't expect it to be as good as it is, I was blown away by how good it sounds
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    That does look fantastic.
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Nice. Amazing how versatile they are. Fab colour and like the checking. Good GAS :-)
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2414
    excellent :D
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23855
    Nice one, good to see that's found a home. 
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5117
    Sweet. Almost becoming a forum regular this one. :)
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4222
    It sounded mighty through my Mesa Nomad and Marshall Rack, a very raucous guitar it is ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    That's a beauty alright!  Are the relic lines scratches or hairline cracks?  I had a Les Paul goldtop do that as a result of it being stored in freezing temps for a couple of days(shipped in a crate aboard a train crossing the Canadian prairies in dead of winter).  It was removed from it's case while still frozen and it immediately became covered in frost and then within seconds the cracks formed.  Apparently I should not have removed it from it's case until it had been in a room temp environment for a few days.  I took it to a shop to see if their was a quick(cheap) fix and the guitar tech said nothing short of a full re finish would do it but he thought it looked cool and suggested I leave it alone, which I did.  This was back in the days when the word relic = old piece of junk but as time went by my guitar became "in". 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Awesome acquisition! Love the colour.

I'm in the process of going from 8 guitars to two "keepers".
    The only one left to sell is my Raygun SG Jr- one of the keepers is a LP Jr & I can't justify Jrs. It's gonna be hard to part with the SG.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3706
    I do love d/c Juniors (got a s/c myself) and that colour is lovely.

Pelham blue?
    I'm think it's Pelham blue - the relicing and crazing is much more subtle than in the pics

Dies anyone know if the neck profile on these '58 Junior reissues is similar to an R8, because this is perfect for me and I'm tempted to look into an R8
    Yes they are.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23855
    edited April 2015
    cm01 said:

Dies anyone know if the neck profile on these '58 Junior reissues is similar to an R8, because this is perfect for me and I'm tempted to look into an R8

I'd say the neck profile on my (C)R8 feels a bit more "refined" than my '58 Junior, it's a little rounder and not so sharp at the fretboard edges, but they're similar big, chunky shapes. 

I understand they vary a bit from year to year though, and Gibson are never totally consistent!

That's what I thought - I'm thinking of stripping right back to 2 guitars - the junior and a good R8 if I can find one - which would mean selling off 4 other guitars... Need to have a ponder and try out some R8's I think
    cm01;582290" said:
    That's what I thought - I'm thinking of stripping right back to 2 guitars - the junior and a good R8 if I can find one - which would mean selling off 4 other guitars... Need to have a ponder and try out some R8's I think
    Yeah they will vary to a degree. They're CNC'd then hand finished, do they should be in the same 'ballpark', but you'll feel the subtleties in side by side comparisons.

Just be careful to read the copy if you buy online and unseen (obv you would) as they have released runs of R7's and R8's with slim neck profiles of late.
  • zenzeypherzenzeypher Frets: 265
    That's a beauty alright!  Are the relic lines scratches or hairline cracks?  I had a Les Paul goldtop do that as a result of it being stored in freezing temps for a couple of days(shipped in a crate aboard a train crossing the Canadian prairies in dead of winter).  It was removed from it's case while still frozen and it immediately became covered in frost and then within seconds the cracks formed.  Apparently I should not have removed it from it's case until it had been in a room temp environment for a few days.  I took it to a shop to see if their was a quick(cheap) fix and the guitar tech said nothing short of a full re finish would do it but he thought it looked cool and suggested I leave it alone, which I did.  This was back in the days when the word relic = old piece of junk but as time went by my guitar became "in". 
    Ooh I missed this thread.

I managed this through using upside down compressed air cans.. namely because once Nick dropped it off - It looked too new next to the hardware. I applied the cold 2 days after getting it back then allowed those lines to kinda cure back together (which near fresh nitro does) then I resprayed the compressed air about 2 months after which gave the more prominent ones... Then I just played the hell out of it.

It's a shade darker than Pelham because with nitro pelham the more you apply the darker it becomes.

Absolute beast of a guitar and I feel its made it's way into a good home.

I'm quite proud of the work I carried out on it - and of course Sweepy (great tech)