Ask all political parties one question

What's Hot
I can't believe there is no website where you can ask a question where all parties have the opportunity to give an answer. Have a policy question regarding offshoring of jobs that is not mentioned in any manifesto.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ftumchftumch Frets: 692
    Bear vs shark?
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited April 2015
    Would you rather fight a horse sized duck, or a hundred duck sized horses?
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    Pod, axe or kemper? That would set the cat among the pigeons!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Hertz32 said:
    Would you rather fight a horse sized duck, or a hundred duck sized horses?
    :D

The wife said a horse sized duck, but I'm thinking a hundred duck sized horses would look way cooler on film.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12101
    I can't believe there is no website where you can ask a question where all parties have the opportunity to give an answer. Have a policy question regarding offshoring of jobs that is not mentioned in any manifesto.
    what's the question? maybe we can simulate the likely answers
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22576
    what's the question? maybe we can simulate the likely answers
    They'll just give you the number of a political answers call centre in Manila. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    There are a number of questions
    • Gibson or Fender
    • Marshall or Vox
    • Bigsby or not
    ...etc

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6418
    Marmite vs  Slash
    Kirk vs Jaffa Cakes
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6418
    No point now, but during a Parliament this is a good site http://www.theyworkforyou.com/
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Why bother, they all respond to questions the same way:  talk for 5 minutes without answering the actual question.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    If you were a cheese, what kind of hat would you be?
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited April 2015
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4703
    The question is really.
    What are you going to do to stem the migration of jobs/services offshore as this has a number of consequences.
    a) By not employing people who live here, the income tax paid by these people does not benefit our local population
    b) Often it is more Jnr Jobs going offshore, which in the past would have been taken up by our graduate output, hence
    1) High Graduate unemployment 
    2) Lack of new Local Talent to replace those who are retireing
    c) Given the skills shortage due to years of offshoring, we are are now having to import those skills from abroad, which is driving down wages/salaries
    d) We are seeing alot of issues where employment histories, CVs, references are being bought in those countries, so the quality is very low.
    e) If a non-UK resident company offshores, we do not see the benefit in tax, on increased profitability as they do not pay tax in the UK
    f) With offshoring output may be cheaper but quality reduces and time increases.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24694
    Definitely a horse sized duck.  You can't focus your defences against a hundred tiny horses.  Remember Jurassic Park ?

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6601
    edited April 2015
    Is there a difference in sound between maple and rosewood fretboards?

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7379
    The question is really.
    What are you going to do to stem the migration of jobs/services offshore as this has a number of consequences.
    a) By not employing people who live here, the income tax paid by these people does not benefit our local population
    b) Often it is more Jnr Jobs going offshore, which in the past would have been taken up by our graduate output, hence
    1) High Graduate unemployment 
    2) Lack of new Local Talent to replace those who are retireing
    c) Given the skills shortage due to years of offshoring, we are are now having to import those skills from abroad, which is driving down wages/salaries
    d) We are seeing alot of issues where employment histories, CVs, references are being bought in those countries, so the quality is very low.
    e) If a non-UK resident company offshores, we do not see the benefit in tax, on increased profitability as they do not pay tax in the UK
    f) With offshoring output may be cheaper but quality reduces and time increases.

Well protectionism which i think you sound like you are in favor of isn't the solution. Good off shore teams are actually almost as competent as UK/US teams now but still around a third of the cost. In fact we have teams in UK, China, US and India and I would say the Indian team is 90% the level of the UK team (and interestingly the US team are only marginally better than the Chinese team). 

Unfortunately a decade of complacency in industry / education and economic environment to support the sector I work in probably means that employment in India and China will continue to rise and in the UK will continue to fall.

Big government and high taxes just prices the UK out of the market, but you know don;t let that stop you voting Labour or whatever cos..you know BANKERS.

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4703
    Not my experience of off shore teams. I have to manage them on a daily basis. They never tell you if they have a problem, never deliver on time and not to the quality required. Costs actually end up being higher as project time scales are blown out of the water. We need to incentivise companies to take on local talent rather than off shore being the default answer.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9829
    Is the honourable member aware of the expression 'pants on fire'?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    If you want an prime example of the benefits of outsourcing abroad - just go to the BT website, or call their helpdesk.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7379
    Not my experience of off shore teams. I have to manage them on a daily basis. They never tell you if they have a problem, never deliver on time and not to the quality required. Costs actually end up being higher as project time scales are blown out of the water. We need to incentivise companies to take on local talent rather than off shore being the default answer.
    Our India team is pretty established now with low turn over of people for the last 5-6 years. They're not rock bottom prices but still much cheaper than western europe or the US. And although they might not have the leadership talent their work ethic is generally far better.

If you invest in off shoring properly I think it is definitely viable but if you're just looking at headlining figures and going with the lowest you can find you;re never going to get quality and that's regardless what country you;re hiring from. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ