Ask all political parties one question

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Unfortunately a decade of complacency in industry / education and economic environment to support the sector I work in probably means that employment in India and China will continue to rise and in the UK will continue to fall.
    Even if you factor out ZHC UK employment's at a all time high. We actually make more stuff than France and are catching Germany up. We make many luxury brands that the expanding economies in places like India and China want to buy. Try buying a brand new Rolls or a Bentley .. let the Chinese make iPhones .. as they get wealthier we can sell them higher value goods and services.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10412
    The Fretboard or Mumsnet?
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

I couldn't believe I heard on BBC that we now can't build any houses without immigrants because we have a native skills shortage...

Almost as if all those years of misery were planned out and what a load of total shyte.

It's just a cognisant re-engineering of society, poaching skilled people from abroad because it cheaper than to train natives here and disenfranchising all the skilled natives here because they want enough to actually live on and it's cheaper to keep them on benefits or on zero hours.  It makes me fucking sick, but it's all OK with the intellectual classes. 

The days of brickies making thousands a week and well over, with unlimited skilled immigration.  Soon enough even computer techies and programmers will be on minimum wage.  The only ones secure and making billionaires are the ones with plenty of wealth in the first place and it isn't trickling down, because you have unlimited skilled immigration at the bottom end and an open, unlimited labour market.  We are heading back to the days of Barrens and Lords.  Meanwhile all of the other poorer EU countries don't have any builders, dentists, doctors or engineers left.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Sambostar said:

I couldn't believe I heard on BBC that we now can't build any houses without immigrants because we have a native skills shortage...

Almost as if all those years of misery were planned out and what a load of total shyte.

It's just a cognisant re-engineering of society, poaching skilled people from abroad because it cheaper than to train natives here and disenfranchising all the skilled natives here because they want enough to actually live on and it's cheaper to keep them on benefits or on zero hours.  It makes me fucking sick, but it's all OK with the intellectual classes. 

The days of brickies making thousands a week and well over, with unlimited skilled immigration.  Soon enough even computer techies and programmers will be on minimum wage.  The only ones secure and making billionaires are the ones with plenty of wealth in the first place and it isn't trickling down, because you have unlimited skilled immigration at the bottom end and an open, unlimited labour market.  We are heading back to the days of Barrens and Lords.  Meanwhile all of the other poorer EU countries don't have any builders, dentists, doctors or engineers left.

Not yet, but it's on the way. I get half what I was on 12 years ago.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7379
    Fretwired said:
    Unfortunately a decade of complacency in industry / education and economic environment to support the sector I work in probably means that employment in India and China will continue to rise and in the UK will continue to fall.
    Even if you factor out ZHC UK employment's at a all time high. We actually make more stuff than France and are catching Germany up. We make many luxury brands that the expanding economies in places like India and China want to buy. Try buying a brand new Rolls or a Bentley .. let the Chinese make iPhones .. as they get wealthier we can sell them higher value goods and services.
    To be clear I'm talking about the IT sector. I think regressing to country that makes most of it's GDP from manufacturing with the current cost of living would be a catastrophe.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    What does code from overseas look like? I imagine things like 'if' and 'return' are all the same (right?) but do they use English variable names and comments too?

Must be (extra) tough to learn to code if English isn't your first language.
    All practice and no theory
    dafuzz said:
    What does code from overseas look like? I imagine things like 'if' and 'return' are all the same (right?) but do they use English variable names and comments too?

I've seen some absolutely disgusting American code eg

if argv[n] != NULL

instead of testing argc and not indexing off the end of argv ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    dafuzz;583008" said:

Where I work it's all English.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Phil_aka_Pip;583029" said:
    dafuzz said:

I've seen some absolutely disgusting American code eg

if argv[n] != NULL

instead of testing argc and not indexing off the end of argv ...
    It's a sloppy mistake but I woudln't say it's disgusting. Truly disgusting code isn't so much about a handful of lines but the whole abstraction model will be so terrible that it isn't architecturally possible to even fix problems without first refactoring huge chunks of code.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    It's disgusting that he (she?) ignored the spec for entering the main function of a program, and relied on some quirk of implementation that arguments not present in argv[] would be denoted by a NULL element, and runs the risk of a segmentation violation by indexing off the end of argv[]. It's also disgusting that the quality system didn't pick it up, and that the perpetrator was not told of the right way to go about it.

I too have seen code which is disgusting not at the statement level but at the whole architecture level, and I'd say that such things happen more often than we want to admit, and aren't confined to one nationality or branch of software "discipline". It happens in embedded software as much as in database applications.
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    There is no point.

You ask a politition a question and they will always avoid answering it, so you would never get the answer you want.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Why don't you dedicate yourself to something useful?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom