kitbuiltguitars.co.uk - thoughts?

What's Hot
TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2011
edited April 2015 in Making & Modding
Anyone had one of these and if so, any comments?

http://www.kitbuiltguitars.co.uk/guitarkits/build-your-own-guitar-flamed-maple-les-paul-style-guitar.html

I'm tempted to create a version 2 of the increasingly untidy original Les Dennis. Gawd knows why, it's not like I have the money, but you all know what gas pains are like for idle hands...
If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3308
    Hhmmm... I would also like to know. Maybe a good starter place for a noob like me to throw a guitar together.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28453
    edited April 2015
    Take a look at the kit build challenge posts from last year.

Might even be the same kits through a different retailer?

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/30285/the-really-useful-posts-index#latest
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    i had one, featured here http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/29002/flying-v-build#latest. ;
    all in all they are reasonable quality, i changed out all my electrics from the start though the pickups were weedy and cheap sounding but the actual guitar was great. the only major problem i had was a loose neck pocket, a couple of card shims sorted that out though and i play it pretty regular as well
  • Hmm, odd - yourn is a bolt on neck but t'one above is a glue in set neck. Must have changed the specs...
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Mine still is bolt on, if I could get on with les pauls I'd have done one of the lp kits, I'm thinking of doing a 6 string bass if I can find a kit
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3129
    edited April 2015
    Hi @TheOtherDennis Theoretically, this is a better kit than the Gear4Music one that was the supplier chosen for the 2014 challenge. The latter is bolt on and has a basswood body, this one is set neck and has a mahogany body. The unknown is the quality of the machining (which was impressive on the Gear4Music ones) but I think I have seen reference to the kitbuiltguitars kits from other suppliers with good feedback. At some stage I might take a punt and try them out just to see, but if you go for it in the meantime, I'll be watching with interest. Andy
  • Well, after a pretty shitty year for a whole bunch of reasons, I've decided that even though I don't deserve it, I've pushed the 'go' button on it.

I shall keep you informed, @Andyjr1515. :)

When it arrives, I'm going to upgrade the wiring loom to one from Axesrus, and use the Iron Gear Rolling Mills and hardware that I already have in the Les Dennis Mk I.

But I'm wondering how to finish it, now. Do I have another go at making it a lovely shiny black thing? Do I give it a black Wudtone finish? Or (and I'm leaning more towards this), do I simply leave it natural and oil it up?

Decisions, decisions...
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3129
    ...or you could buy three and do one in each... ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You are a bad man.

Bad man, bad, bad man.

I'd love to, but I really don't have the money to do one, never mind three. Nice idea, though. :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • themeinsidethemeinside Frets: 218
    My kit build for my dad's 50th was a left handed kitbuiltguitars kit. Excellent customer service, and all in all a very good kit- although there was a slight alignment issue on the bridge. Something to note is the lack of guide holes for anything but the neck, so a good method of straight hole drilling is useful! 

• Well my kit has all the holes pre-drilled so there shouldn't be any problems in that regard.

Shouldn't.