Les Paul R8 Temptation (now a NGD)

What's Hot
matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
edited May 2015 in Guitar
I have been the owner of a lovely Les Paul 1960 Classic from '02. It's super; plays beautifully with a beefier neck those 90's Classics. The top has some intriguing figuring on it and I love the honey-burst finish. The pickups are alnico 2's so no overly-hot ceramics here. It's also mint, which is nice.

There is one problem however. I keep looking at R8's and getting serious GAS. I mean, I shouldn't should I? The Classic is just great, so why would I want to change? There really isn't a reason.

This temptation is totally unfounded. Isn't it??? Someone talk me out of this...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2213
    Buy one. http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s611/andy1839/image.jpg1_zpsb4f79qm6.jpg Chambered R8 with lightly flamed top in sunrise tea burst. Just lovely. Imo of course!
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Sounds like you have a les Paul you love, seems little point on starting a quest to find one that's better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    Get a Telecaster.

Not sure why you want another Les Paul if the one you've got seems ideal for you.
    Is it just an aesthetics thing?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

I had the same for an R9, however, due to problems with travel, I never looked at any to buy. For now, the fad is under control.

At least an R8 or 9 is reasonable for a sane normal person. I keep getting gas for that white burst Signature T in Thomanns, I know its the price that has me by the throat, but still -  is this normal GAS behaviour ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    ^^ No, you're in need of an intervention.
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    Despite owning a 1981 deluxe for 17 years and living at, is been gassing for a florentine or an r7 for the last couple of years. Eventually I just decided that I'd never like an LP more than the one I've already got, and the only reason I wanted another was because I was slowly being convinced it wasn't 'authentic' because if it's deviation of what's considered a proper LP. Had a moment of clarity and haven't worried about it since.
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    Well, given that the Classic has an ABR bridge and one-piece back, I think all I would be getting that's non-changeable is 'choice' wood, a long tenon, nicer inlays & thin binding in cut away. 

The other stuff (truss rod cover & wiring) is pretty easy to put right.

Aesthetically, the R8 can look awesome but your typical example a tad nicer than the Classic.

Is that worth the cost of another quality guitar? Probably not.
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    I`d stick with the Classic,it`ll be as good .

• koss59koss59 Frets: 867
    The necks couldn't be more different so if you like the skinny neck on the classic then I suggest you don't change. There are quite a few more differences between them though that make them different guitars.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    Different,not better .I`ve had both,still have a Classic !
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431
    ^^^This! The R8 is not for you if you prefer the Classic neck profile. Try the R0 instead.
    I had considered the neck profile. I like both the 58' & the Classics profile (which was definately beefed up at some point in its lifespan). So that's not really an issue for me. R0s tend to be a bit thin on the ground too.

All things considered, unless there is a noticeable quality improvement in either tone or playability that I've yet to discover exists then it's not really offering enough for the extra money I'd need to put into it.
    All the historical accuracies are more anorak fodder than anything,they don`t make them sound particularly better.

Well, that being the case, there's a realistic chance of an R8 being a wrong move; my current Classic knocked all other Lesters I've owned (a Std Plus, Tokai LS95, 1992 Std, 1992 classic) into a cocked hat.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16083
    tae be or not tae be
    matt1973 said:
    Well, that being the case, there's a realistic chance of an R8 being a wrong move; my current Classic knocked all other Lesters I've owned (a Std Plus, Tokai LS95, 1992 Std, 1992 classic) into a cocked hat.
    You have your answer right there !
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5117
    Find a good R8 and it would be an absolutely cracking guitar, a match for any other LP out there IMHO. Surely you need two so that you have a spare?! Beware though that once you get used to the neck on an R8, you may find the slim Classic neck rather insubstantial and lacking in comparison.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    Why stop at two ! lol.
  • stedsted Frets: 259
    If you're happy with yours then I would think twice, the difference in cost is significant and you might not bond with the instrument leaving you down on both fronts!
    Quite right @sted - I have indeed thought twice about this and will defo be sticking with the Classic.