Music you "get" but don't particularly like (Neil Young in this case)

What's Hot

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7363
    meltedbuzzbox;593911" said:
    thecolourbox said:

To be fair Buckley was very self indulgent and was quite overblown in a lot of ways, very "assured" of his own musicality I guess which would put people off if they can't get past the pretentiousness!

I love Grace as an album but the Sine live album is what I listen to the most. 

there are 2 types of music. Good and bad. I dont get how you can read all this other jazz from it
    Yeah but jazz is in a whole league of it's own when it comes to badness.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Who is SRV?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9997
    Stanley, Rodney and Vernon - an old music hall act who are cited as influences both in the musical genre of skiffle and the literary canon of romantic abstract poetry ;)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Stephens, Raymond and Vaughan, your friendly local solicitors?
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited April 2015
    Bon Jovi.

I know exactly what they're doing and who they're appealing to, but I'd rather have my ears filled with concrete than ever listen to them again. They're rock music with all the good bits taken out and thrown away, and Jon Bon Jovi's voice is like nails on a blackboard to me, I genuinely can't listen to him singing because it makes me start to get a bit angry.

I heard Living on a Prayer performed by an acoustic duo last night and I enjoyed it - I'll concede that it's a good song, and I was happy to listen to it sung by someone else. Everything else they've ever done can suck a fat one though. I hate them. I fucking hate them.

I do get them though, and I listen to other bands in a roughly similar vein. I can't put my finger on why I detest them so much.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    edited April 2015
    Bucket;602499" said:
    I can't put my finger on why I detest them so much.
    I wouldn't be so hard on yourself - I'd be pushed to narrow it down to say ten or twelve reasons, though the main one was summed up nicely by Dennis Leary:

"Stevie Ray Vaughan killed in a helicopter - but can you get Jon Bon Jovi to go anywhere near a f** king helicopter?"
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7827
    Phil_aka_Pip;593771" said:
    chrisv said:

@thecolourbox try Harvest and After The Gold Rush by Mr Young if you want to hear his finest songs.

Harvest is a good album,.

He's a good songwriter, and a tolerable acoustic guitar player.

He's also a mediocre singer, and a dreadful electric guitar player.
    Lot of truth in that
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319

I'm the same with Neil Young, aye - and (whisper it) yes, I agree on Led Zepplin too. Completely see why they're accorded the status they are, they just don't push any buttons for me personally (except occasionally for Bonham's drumming). And also, actually (even quieter whisper) - Black Sabbath. *blush*

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    Phil_aka_Pip said:
    chrisv said:

@thecolourbox try Harvest and After The Gold Rush by Mr Young if you want to hear his finest songs.

He's also a mediocre singer, and a dreadful electric guitar player.
    Lot of truth in that
    I think there's almost none at all - apart from Harvest being a good album.

For me he's a great songwriter, a good acoustic guitarist, a naturally emotive singer and one of the greatest electric guitarists ever - probably the greatest living. He understands and uses the primitive raw power of the electric guitar like almost no-one else.

But it's fine not to like him if that's not your thing. There are a lot of far more 'accomplished' musicians that I get are good, but can't stand listening to.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Plus one on the Bon Jovi comments

Re Neil Young, on the album i listened to the only real thing i did like was the electric playing, no idea if it was him or his band or whoever, but it was very well attacked - that's kind of where I am coming from when I say I "get it" just don't like the actual musical content that much, just the tones and the approach to playing it
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    I also now have to add My Bloody Valentine to the list. I'd never actually listened to any before last week, and it seemed like a big hole in my musical knowledge, of something I thought I would like from the descriptions…

I tried. I can't decide if I get it but don't like it, or if I just don't get it. Either way, it was a worthwhile experiment that I probably won't repeat.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1695
    For me it's Patti Smith.

I understand she's cool and played a certain role at a certain time and all that.

But the music? I just CAN'T like it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16275
    So agree with @Drew-fx about Sheeran
    Totally agree with @Philly Q about the crap they put on Jools Holland shows too
    The prize for dreary shite on TV or Radio goes to anything on Dermot O'Leary radio 2 sturday afternoon - just suicidal music made worse by this horrible,creepy whispery carey -sharey Dermot voice ...I sometimes have it on in the car just to make myself angry !!
    Ha i used to put the "Musical Hot Water Bottle" show on Radio One on when driving home from my girlfriend's house on a Sunday night because it used to irritate and antagonise me into not being a tired driver :) glad to hear I'm not the only one who uses radio in that way!
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1695
    And The Yardbirds. They were actually a bit shit, really, weren't they?

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2661
    The Stone Roses are the one band I just can't tolerate at all. I don't know why people worship them for what (to me) are 2 very average albums.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    chrisv said:

He's also a mediocre singer, and a dreadful electric guitar player
    Yup, agreed. I feel the same about Bob Dylan. Great songwriter, but I find his voice really grates.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I have an issue with the Stones. I love their music in the main but I just can't stand to SEE them. The way they look, move, talk just makes me really angry. No idea why. I'm sure they speak highly of me!
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2954
    Muse.   I've tried,  a couple of time but leaves me cold.

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1328
    Carlos Santana.  Obviously brilliant, but I don't like listening to his music.

*whispers* Led Zep......   Again, a phenomenon, incredibly influential, innovative......but I don't really like listening to them, not sure why, I've just never been hooked by the music.

Steve Vai.