Take Your Pick: Matt's day of picking picks from a spectrum of plectrums (plectra).

What's Hot
Over the years I've tried quite a few picks, and usually settle on a size/type for a few years before feeling like a change may be in order.

I used to use those Dunlop pink 0.71 Delrins years ago. My whole picking style was different back then.
I used to hold the pick like this:

But after 10 years playing that way, I took the hard decision to change to this:

So anyway, today I took receipt of a mixed bag of picks from the creatively named guitarpicks.co.uk and I'm gonna spend the day trying them out:

image  image   image

Notice the Martins in the last picture have some unfinished edges to them. Not great IMO.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Looks fun.  I see a lot of pointed tip picks.  Have you tried the Dunlop T3s?  They're my current favourites.  They're regular sized tortex picks but with the same shaped tip as a Jazz 3.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    I use Ivory and turtle shell ones that I put grip tape on to stop them from sliding around, I could never get used to the ones you have in the pictures, I sometimes find myself using the Jim Dunlop nylon picks, on the odd occasion when I don't find myself using one of my 'naughty pics', these ones here:

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/standard

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
  • Duh I can see one, the blue one one the right.
  • Loving the Big Stubby. 1mm is a bit too thin though. Gonna order some of these the next thickness up. NEXT!
  • I like the tortex ones, the satin finish on them seems to stop them slipping when I start to sweat. I go through them pretty quickly though, as once the satin gets polished by me holding them it's time for a new one.
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    I always loved the Shark Fin picks.  Then I lost them all.  :(
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5229
    Jim Dunlop nylon 1mm all the way for me!
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited April 2015
    The "standard" pick size and shape has always looked too big to me. Why stop there? Have there been any studies in which players were asked to adapt to a beer mat sized pick?

It seems to me that the most efficient pick is the one which limits the area between your fingers....the area which makes no contact with the strings.....to a volume big enough to keep the pick in your hand... and no more than that.
    So a Jazz sized pick....or even a small teardrop.

I have carefully studied Santana's technique. He seems to be using a triangular ceramic dinner plate and it has served him very well. But would he be even better with a smaller pick?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Don't really use picks that much but when I do I use the small Dunlop Stubbies. They fit very nicely on my thumb pad and are quite fast in use. Anything bigger just feels awkward and unwieldy. They're also good for pinch harmonics if that's your thing.
  • Yea man I'm really liking the Stubby, but the one I ordered is a tad too slim.
    I like the bit of bend I get due to the sculpted thumb area.
    I've tried the really thick 2mm Stubby and didn't like it so I was surprised to like this one.
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    My current favourite is the thinnest gauge that Hell Guitars sell - they're sort of splanky-brangy in a way my previous favourite - Dunlop Tortex Jazz IIIs - aren't. 

With the Jazz IIIs, the sound is *just* the note, and the little pick makes my playing quite precise (for me). The full-size black.... nylon, maybe?... picks add their own sound to the attack and everything just seems a bit looser, which I prefer.  

Recently, inspired by Knopfler and Andy's PGS demos, I've been experimenting with Dunlop fingerpicks on my 2nd and 3rd fingers in addition to the plectrum. I'm enjoying the possibilities so far and it comes more naturally than you might expect.
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    Has anybody tried the ''Dragon's Heart'' brand or range of guitar picks?  The ones from this company:

http://www.dragonsheartguitarpicks.com/

I've always been tempted to order a whole bunch to try them out, but I can't find anywhere in the U.K. that sells them or actually has them in stock, so it would be a case of having to order them directly from the states, and with the cost of shipping it's not really worth just ordering one or two picks, so to make shipping worth while I'd make a bulk purchase order, so would really like any non biased feedback on them before I drop US$100.00 ++ on ordering their guitar picks.

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I went through this a few months ago, and moved over to the Tortex sharps in 1mm. I like the feel of the Tortex 1mm, and the pointy tip helps the pick leave the strings more easily.

I found the normal Tortex were "sticking" to the strings and not slipping off them easily. The pointy ones have a similar area hitting the string whether it's square to the string or angled.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Yep I'm quite liking the sharps too
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2492
    Gone from 3mm stubby to 2mm, nice contour four the thumb pad but find they still slip around a bit
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    I have a tray of maybe 90 different picks, each time I practise I close my eyes and pick one out at random.
    It's done wonders for my picking (You try Djenting or sweeping with a .5mm nylon pick!) and means I am really clear on what characteristics I like in my picks. 

I've settled on White dunlop Tortex Jazz III's, I just change up the gauge a load. I've got them from about .55 to 1.35 and they couldn't be more different. I think I like the .88's and 1.35's best :) 

ttl;dr

TRY ALL THE PICKS YOU CAN AND FOCUS ON PICKING
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Dunlop 0.55mm rigid stainless ftw

TeckPick or IcePick brass if you need a slightly mellower sound

sod plastic!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 806
    I only use actual Shark Teeth picks, they sound great, no annoying clicking, they never wear..........

IMHO they can't be beat.............................

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3847

I used to hold the pick like this:

That's how I started out for the first few years - knew no better back in the dark ages.
    :(

I bet you have a lot of fun trying out those picks!

I usually use Dunlop .73 or .88 but sometimes Fender .71's because of the lovely pearloid colours!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    I bought a whole bunch of those stubbies because they do seem to wear down faster than any other pick I've tried. So now I've got enough of them to see me through a good many years. When I find something I really like, I always worry that it's going to be discontinued so I've safeguarded myself if that does happen.