Is this a Schaller tuner? Aka Westbury standard tart up

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    Very weak, yes but not thin, pretty warm sounding and the tone works as it should, I've a few more tests to do before any drastic measures ☺
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73235
    Sarge said:
    Very weak, yes but not thin, pretty warm sounding and the tone works as it should, I've a few more tests to do before any drastic measures ☺
    It's not an open coil then - that always makes the tone control kill the signal completely. Possibly a partial short.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I rewired it right away and nothin changed, might be a break in the cable maybe.
    I'll investigate further after Mrs Sarge serves my grits.

Cheers
    Just took it out, nothing on the meter, nothing untoward under the tape either.... #gutted
    What's the rough ballpark figure on a pickup rewire/repair?
    I found time to take this dimarzio paf apart again tonight, looks like I have 1 dead coil, I got a 7.5k reading from the start and end of one coil, nowt from 'tother, is it financially viable to have this repaired considering I can pick one up for around £35 ish?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73235

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11158
    tFB Trader
    Hi guys, one coil rewound is £30 plus P&P ... on a nice old Super Distortion it's worth it ... on one of the newer ones probably not.
    Ash
    PS, it might just be  break between the coil wire and the 'pig tail' but I would still have to charge £20 + P&P for stripping and reassembling.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• @Sarge. If you get Ash to rewind the coil then I'd like to contribute towards the cost. I feel a bit guilty that I unknowningly sold you the guitar with a malfunctioning pickup.

:(
    @TheGuitarWeasel thanks for the info, I'll see what funds are left over after my visit to the Newcastle opening of PMT!
    @Flanging_Fred thanks man, that's very generous of you, and I'm not one to refuse a touch of generosity, ☺
    Still looking for a black hex gotoh tuner... Bump

Also the dimarzio will be sent off for Ash to work his magic next week :)
    Sorted for the tuner! Had to get them (got a spare too ;) ) sent from Australia!
    Hopefully the pickup is with Ash now, the body has had all the paint chips filled and it's half flatted waiting for a free afternoon to polish it up, getting closer!
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3135
    Excellent news, I hope it'll turn out how you wanted it.
    Thanks, me too!
    Just had notification from Ash, and the coil has been rewound so I need to shift my arse and finish cutting/polishing!
    Massive thanks to @TheGuitarWeasel for a lovely rewound dimarzio, also same thanks to @Flanging_Fred for the guitar and help towards the cost of said rewinding! Cheers fellas.
    I'll update with pix as soon as I'm done polishing/ setting up.

Ash you're a magician! the superD you rewound is an animal! thanks bro!
    I levelled and recrowned, filled all the chips in black nail varnish(revlon ;) ) over a week, 1 coat per chip per day.
    A word of warning, steer clear of Wilkinson's wet'n'dry paper, it's total garbage, I cut this with 400 to start(wilko's) then 600, 800 and 1000(all Klingspoor) which is my usual routine, the 400 grit marks are still visible, I only noticed once I got to 1000g, but my arm was hanging off at that point so fuggit, I hit it with G3 then Maguires Ultimate compound, it's better that it was but upon closer inspection I can still see the 400g.....still...it kicks arse! and the action is so low it's silly.

the tuner came from Australia, from a great guy called Don (eyebulger on westone/mats forums) Cheers Don!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3135
    Nice one! It looks great now.
    edited May 2015
    Feels and sounds better than it looks, actually this is the first time I've had a superD in the neck position, keeping it low from the strings it's a lot more articulate than I expected.
    I do love these Westbury's, proper bang for your buck.