Another NOSSAD!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72801
    So which is the better platform for pedals? 

:D
    I will report back later :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72801
    And the answer is: exactly as you would expect. It's like asking if a Fender Twin or a Marshall Super Lead takes pedals better. The Marshall does if you want straight-ahead, 'rock' overdrive/distortion - the Peavey can be quite buzzy and oddly hollow-sounding, whereas the Marshall is more jangly and middy. But once you get used to the edginess, the Peavey actually sounds more 'textural' in some ways, especially with very heavy fuzz where you deliberately want that buzzy character, and it holds together better when pushed harder with more volume as well as gain; the Marshall starts to sound strangled and overblown, and goes farty at the bottom end.

If I add my Mesa V-Twin into the chain as a valve amp simulator both on its own and with other dirt in front of it, the Peavey is the winner - it just sounds bigger and more open. The Marshall starts to get quite strangled and with sudden harshness on some combinations of pedals - which is exactly the problem I've often found with solid-state amps, although usually at much lower (sometimes unusably low) volume.

So the choice would be: Marshall plus a pedal or two for minimum-gear, more 'standard rock lead guitar' stuff (and it's by far the lighter of the two, which helps for that) and Peavey plus full pedalboard for more complex, structured stuff where the pedalboard probably weighs more than the amp anyway :).

I really should do some work now ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom