"Birth year guitar" for 1979 - what would you choose?

What's Hot

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31919
    Much as I loved Tokais at the time (Fenders were well and truly off the rails) "Birth Year Strat Copy" just feels a bit lame to me, I'd rather have a 1979 Fender cheapy like a Musicmaster or something.

A 25/50 Les Paul would be cool though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6936
    edited April 2015
    Been their done that with a '78 Gibson and a couple of 2011's for my daughter.

The '78 is being traded for a Ric 360 tomorrow as I didn't use it.

I'm not trying to discourage your purchase at all but don't get something for the sake of it like I did.

That said I know of two LP's in the USA that are stamped with my exact birth date and must admit if it wasn't for import fees etc I'd have bought one.

I'd stay away from Fender for a late seventies YOB unless you have something else to prove its vintage. You could be buying anything late seventies to early eighties if you go by serial number alone.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5218
    p90fool said:
    Much as I loved Tokais at the time (Fenders were well and truly off the rails) "Birth Year Strat Copy" just feels a bit lame to me,
    Fair comment. If I was in the market for a birth year guitar (I'm not right now, but who knows...) I think I'd be more inclined to go for something like a Yamaha SG that's an original (as much as any guitar is) design.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    79 Westbury standard /custom /deluxe
    Nuff said.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517
    Being that bit older (1969) I'd probably have to look at an SG or a 335. Apparently the necks on those are narrow, which I don't mind, and they don't fetch silly money.

A 69 Tele might be nice but I don't see how it could be any better than my existing Tele.

A 69 Strat is a no-no as it has the big headstock.
  • HalikusHalikus Frets: 59
    Silverburst LPC, Burny or a Tokai is my list for a 1980 birth year guitar, just gotta pray for the right one to pop up.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited April 2015

It's a 1978. That's cool and that but IMO buying a 'Year my mummy and daddy got their rocks off' guitar is a bit weird.

I've got a YMMADGTROG - a 1977 Yamaha SG2000.

I try not to think too much about the YMMADGTRO bit, and enjoy the fact it's a bloody nice geetar :)

It must be awkward when your dad looks at it all dreamy eyed though!
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    What about a nice Rickenbacker? They are pretty consistent in terms of build quality.
    We are all Chameleons...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27933
    It's gonna be something Japanese I reckon...

That was my initial thought. Be interesting to see what folks come up with.
    Another vote for the MIJ of that era.

The YamSG range (if your back can take the strain), Ibanez Artist, Washburn "wing" ranges, Aria Pro models.  Even a Kawai!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • albanovalbanov Frets: 55
    1979? Well, if you like natural wood finishes and brass hardware you're laughing.

I'd probably go for a Guild solid body - S100, S300? Univox HiFlier on the cheap. And I've got a weird liking for the early Ibanez Iceman from that period, when it was still more medallion man than metal. Wouldn't go so far as to actually buy one though.
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    Shame you're not a Gibson fan because Les Paul was once asked, out of all the guitars that bared his name, which was his personal favourite.  Without hesitation, he answered; "The 1979 Custom, no question."

...and if it was good enough for Les...
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517
    Gordon Smith started up in 1979.  A first year of production Gordon Smith would be quite cool.

Whether they would have had serial numbers or any other way of identifying the year I don't know.
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2043
    If the OP had been very overdue, I would have offered him my SG1000 - it's a 1980 :D

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31919
    Shame you're not a Gibson fan because Les Paul was once asked, out of all the guitars that bared his name, which was his personal favourite.  Without hesitation, he answered; "The 1979 Custom, no question."

...and if it was good enough for Les...
    Was it in 1979 by any chance? Particularly in the Gibson brochure which came as a freebie with International Musician and Recording World that year?
    ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3116
    Here's a 1979 Ibanez musician MC500DS. The quality is something else :-)imageimage
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    Aria PE1000?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SRichSRich Frets: 764
    edited April 2015

What would you choose as a "birth year guitar" 

Not to hijack the thread, but being a '54 there's absolutely no chance in hell this is ever going to happen for me......some nice guitars to aspire to though...............

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5218
    ChuckManual;608568" said:
    Shame you're not a Gibson fan...
    I've got no problem with Gibson, just didn't think a 79 Gibson was likely to be any good, and expensive regardless.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340

Hmmm... '79 for a Rock/Blues type dude huh?

Nope, can't think of anything at all.

Oh!.... Hang on what's that under the bed in the spare room?

http://i.imgur.com/Q3tFRTO.jpg

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73027
    Gibson "The Paul"s are cool, and not very expensive. OK they're not a classic Les Paul, but they're a decent guitar made from good quality wood and are almost certainly a reasonable investment these days too.

Just watch out for body seam separation, they can be prone to that and are quite difficult to fix. If it hasn't started to yet it's not that likely to, since most of the shrinkage should now have happened.

If you want something a bit more expensive, a Silverburst Les Paul Custom is probably the best from that era - they do tend to be heavy though! But luckily also sound massive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein