"Birth year guitar" for 1979 - what would you choose?

What's Hot

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11734
    tFB Trader
    I'd be all over this 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73027
    Nice amp :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23576

The silver 25th Anniversary Strat was the first thing I thought of for 1979.  They don't exactly have a reputation as great guitars, but at least they're very recognisable.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8573
    GavHaus said:
    Think yourself lucky you weren't born in '81. I'm screwed for choice.
    You see, I'm 1975 and can't find anything worthwhile, but I'd quite happily have one of these from '81 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • If you look at tell in Angel music pic, to the right is a 79 anniversary strat!
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5595
    I'd be all over this 

I was just about to say the same thing but you beat me to it. I had one of these. Wish I still had. A wonderful thing.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7319
    dindude said:
    GavHaus said:
    You see, I'm 1975 and can't find anything worthwhile, but I'd quite happily have one of these from '81 

to be honest, after scoffing.... I really like the look of the bullets!
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    GavHaus said:
    dindude said:
    GavHaus said:

Alex Trimble from Two Door Cinema Club plays a singlecut version

Stop crying, start buying
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7319
    Yep, that's the one I like the look of!
  • albanovalbanov Frets: 55
    Nice looking guitars, the tele-shaped bullet. Had a loan of one ages ago, the bridge and pickguard were made of the same piece of metal I think? Also yes to the Lead II for Mission of Burma reasons.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    I thought about a birth guitar a little while ago.

Why didn't I.........

Well, firstly 1976 was apparently not a great year for Fender.

Secondly, if I did spend a lot on a '76. I would have had to leave the site as inevitably, 6 months on the gas would have bitten and the guitar would get sold (at a loss) to make way for the next best thing.

Personally I wouldn't bother. :-)
  • Moss said:
    GavHaus said:
    dindude said:
    GavHaus said:

Alex Trimble from Two Door Cinema Club plays a singlecut version

That is nothing to do with the Lead II range. Totally different range of instruments.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3109
    Pre production Charvel. Mmm.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• woodywoody Frets: 74
    Im with dr bob.. i bitterly miss my 1979 hamer sunburst (ex andy summers i believe! ) beautiful cherry flame top and duncans..i travelled all the way from midlands ireland to newcastle to buy it in approx 1989.. i sold it in 1996 to buy a peugeot 205gti, my first car..
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    Just coming back to this

Why does this always come up with guitars?

Surely with a guitar, it's about how it feels and plays? Not what date stamp it has. If you found an 19XX and it wasn't that great, would you still buy?

Personally, I see more value in creating a 1 off, either from a luthier or partscaster route. With personal logo and serial no. 1 of 1.

Also, What happens if Guitar X Was made in 19XX, but didn't get stamped with serial until 199XX+1, does that mean it's no good?
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31919
    Gru said:

It doesn't, I have a birth year Watkins Westminster Mk11 amp.

It's shit. :)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6936
    edited April 2015
    Gru;609246" said:
    Just coming back to this

Surely with a guitar, it's about how it feels and plays? Not what date stamp it has. If you found an 19XX and it wasn't that great, would you still buy?

Personally, I see more value in creating a 1 off, either from a luthier or partscaster route. With personal logo and serial no. 1 of 1.

Also, What happens if Guitar X Was made in 19XX, but didn't get stamped with serial until 199XX+1, does that mean it's no good?
    I don't think it is just guitars. I was looking at YOB classic cars at one point. It's an irrational idea I grant you that much.

It's the thrill of the chase as well. After all you can't usually walk into your local store and buy a YOB guitar but you can spend hours scouring ebay and the net and it becomes a task/hobby itself.

Arguably wasted time though! Which would most likely be better spent playing the guitar that you already own.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    1979 is a tough year.
    Some Gibson Es guitars were OK.....I suspect that the the models made in smaller numbers were better guitars than (for example) a Les Paul Deluxe.
    Maybe this 1979 Es-175.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5218
    Gru;609246" said:
    Just coming back to this

Personally? No. I don't think I could justify pissing money up the wall on a guitar I wouldn't play. The objective would be to get an awesome player, potentially something a bit weird and wonderful, and the fact that it was as old as me would be the icing on the cake. I don't think I ever considered that someone would buy a crap guitar based on its year of manufacture- if I was prepared to do that there wouldn't really be any need for the discussion. I'm just aware that the late 70s were a pretty grim period for the "Big Two", so looking for suggestions as to what guitars from that year might actually be worth paying money for...

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.