Pledge of fidelity.

What's Hot
Here's the deal. Over the past couple of years I've been through countless guitars looking for "the one"... It has to stop. (My wife might kill me if it doesn't).

So here goes- from midnight tonight:

I will NOT buy, exchange or trade ANY guitar stuff for a full calendar year. In this I include instruments, pedals and amps.
Instead I shall dedicate myself to actually playing & enjoying the guitars I own at the start of this period.

(The only exemptions permitted are for consumables: strings, picks etc and also the few bits I need for my modding challenge guitar- that's hopefully just a capacitor & tone pot).

Today I left all the gear for sale pages I'm a member of, I deleted my eBay saved searches & gumtree alerts. All that's left is you guys- I'm relying on you to keep me on the straight & narrow. If you see me in the classifieds shout at me!

For the record, these are the only guitars I'll be playing for the next 12 months.

My acoustic: Vintage Paul Brett Signature 12 string acoustic.
My electrics:
1. Vintage V100 Lemon Drop. The one I've had longest. I've never thought about selling it.
2. Gibson Les Paul Junior. My recently acquired dream guitar.
3. Harley Benton Te52 tele. My modding challenge guitar).
4. Gibson Melody Maker. A wildcard purchase last weekend- too good to pass up.

No bass could be an issue, but I'll live.

Anyone else want to join me? @Jookychap ? ;)
A year GAS free! I may even start contributing rather than merely lurking in the "playing" pages.

8reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Please please please find a woman who understands that you are a man who makes his own decisions about what he chooses to own.

Honestly, I have a little willy and small balls but my gorgeous loving wife (who is making a scratchplate for my Harley Benton tele this weekend because my attempt was crude) wouldn't dream of telling me how many guitars I can have. She just doesn't understand why other women treat their husbands like kids.

So no, I'm not going to subject myself to restrictions whose main purpose is to 'keep the wife happy'. Men, stand up for your yourselves! :))
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4293
    edited April 2015
    I've taken a screenshot incase you need me to remind you of this moment at a later date ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Haha @Chalky if only it was that easy, when kids are involved, you sign your life away, which so includes an additional clause where you feel guilty for any money you earn (yourself I might add) and spend it on things not family orientated,
    Standing up for yourself only brings heartache and misery and for all involved.
    @stimosonslostson I'm with you bro :-D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5422
    edited April 2015
    Mentioning my wife in my post may have given the wrong impression. She's normally fine with this being my only vice- I don't drink, smoke, play computer games etc. (Although heading off for 3hours to pick up a guitar when I had a 10day old baby at home didn't earn many brownie points).

I'm doing this as I used to read articles about playing my guitar better. Now I seem to just lust after my next acquisition.
    Buying ANOTHER guitar isn't going to magically make me sound the way I want to sound when I play- but focussing on practice MIGHT!
    Here's hoping!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6942
    It could be worse you could get your kicks from different women. Then your wife would have something to complain about.

Although I hate the term GAS it is pretty hamless and good fun. Assuming you are not in financial difficulty that is.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2179
    I have no lady in my life....I was in a constrictive relationship before. Even had to sell gear to appease...yes quite. Since that nonsense is well and truly over. I have bought another five guitars. :D I have finished my pedal board. I do fancy a new amp...but I don't need one :P
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Optimistically I give him till sunday before he's looking again.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited April 2015
    @DrJazzTap - Good man! And a wisdom for use of the word 'constrictive'! =D>

@mrchi - I know you have a point but as I'm a father of 5 kids aged 25 down to 2 then I'd say at least keep the hope that you're relationship is not so 'constrictive' in the years to come :)
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    @chalky you are a wise man! Tbh mine let's me do what the hell I want just as long as I don't moan about contributing to family stuff, plus one guitar looks like the other to her so, I pretty much have a free reign, but I have to say I'm Def up for the abstinence challenge! Over the last year I traded 2 guitar I have regretted every day, so it can't happen again!!
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    Good luck to the op! I'm on a similar mission myself. I got my jag a few months ago but sold my Ric to mitigate. My new rule is that if I want a guitar or bass now I have to build it myself.
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2179
    @chalky haha yes well it wasn't just the guitar toys. I ended up giving up Kung Fu, after five years of training and I didn't have the liberty to play/join another band :( It's only when you are out of these things you realise how much you sacrifice.

Funny thing is, she had a snake.....a corn snake which was a constrictor. :P
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Okay, I'm in!

*offer excludes bass guitar stuff, any half-completed effects that I get round to finishing and any Fredric Effects Zesty Comps that make me an offer I can't refuse.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    I can't commit to joining you but stay strong brothers, I guess you could call me a functioning addict.

Also I'm skint, so have to build the fund up before I buy anything of value.

I'll pray for your continued strength at the big wall of guitars in my local shop later.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13052
    @stimpsonslostson

The forum software has the ability to hide subforums from you. A mod might be able to explain how.

Good luck, I think it's a great idea. :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    edited April 2015
    Brothers, we should all make this pact!
    Gear does not equate good musicianship.

Saying that, I think I will either get an acoustic with electrics fitted or make the mods to my Larrivee.

When I bought my second PRS I ashamedly lied about the price to my partner. Let's face it, £7-8k of gear in 2 months is a lot of money! To this day she knows not...

Everybody needs a change at some point (guitar, not wife lol). My partner is actually fine with it, she says it's my money and I can do what I want with it. I have no kids of my own so I expect fantastic gear in future. Saying that, never more than 3 electrics (which I already think is too much) and an acoustic. Now that I'm gigging and recording, GAS is just a distraction from the real task!

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    When I bought my second PRS I ashamedly lied about the price to my partner. Let's face it, £7-8k of gear in 2 months is a lot of money! To this day she knows not...

Do you know exactly how much she spends on shoes/clothes etc?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• @stimpsonslostson @EdGrip

You know what? I'm in. Why not?

I have been buying as selling gear for years as an excuse to not improve, but you have inspired me.

I currently have 3 guitars for sale which need to go to fund the already purchased Jackson SDX, but once these have gone I will not buy/sell for a year!! I have hit the point where I don't have amp gas, I've got a silver jubilee, I don't have pedal gas as I've got a Nova System, and I'm wireless, and have 2 Les Pauls and a superstrat. What more could I need? I've got a Taylor Acoustic and a new classical guitar which I intend to learn flamenco on.

I don't need anything else - any purchases would be unhealthy GAS and, although the wife doesn't care about my guitar fetish, I'll spend the money on her instead. I've already found myself eyeing up a wolfgang simply because I have a spare wallhanger... Well no! Not for a year!

I'm in boys, let's do this!

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I traded my wife for a vintage strat a long time ago.....(well OK, I wanted to.....)

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31975
    Ok, count me in. I gig with a Les Paul and a Tele, a Princeton and a Jet City 100w full stack and own a load of pedals and other guitars I never use. Plus I have both gigging and "home" acoustics, a gigging bass and combo and a PA. I really don't need anything else and that lot is earning its keep.

The one exception I'll have to make is purely one of maintenance though - I've already had to replace a mixer and two powered wedges this year but I don't really count that as GAS.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320

Up until now, that is.