SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS/FT Fender Tele (Heavily Modified) - Sorted

What's Hot
andrewandrew Frets: 47
edited August 2015 in Guitars £
Hi All,

I am tentatively listing my beloved Tele. After borrowing a Les Paul for a while, I really think a pair of humbuckers are just a little more what I'm after sonically.

Spec as follows:

Stripped Swamp Ash body and then refinished in a thin nitrocellulose, the neck was also stripped and refinished in the same way, but has pretty much worn through in all the right places - a real natural relic from playing and gigging over the past 5 years of my ownership, not from machines in a factory. The fingerboard is worn in the same way, but recently cleaned and frets polished and level. The body was pretty crudely routed for a neck humbucker, doesn't bother me, don't use a neck humbucker and you can't see it because of the pickguard - but best to be honest right from the start! It will also come with an SKB hardcase, beaten up and with a few (tasteful) stickers but still fully functional with all the catches intact!

Fun story about this guitar: before I bought it, it was the guitar that stayed in the pubs around Totnes for the open mic nights, so has been played by 100's, if not 1000's of different players, slung in the back of cars and generally used as a guitar should be.

Hardware is all original, but the pickups are a Fender Muddy Waters in the neck (just the greatest Tele neck p'up) and a Creamery wax potted Tele-90 (a Tele sized P90 specced by myself to be hot and dark) in the bridge. When the new bridge pickup was fitted, both pots were replaced and the wiring was completely redone (in the modern style). This was in February. 

I really after some kind of trade for something Humbucked-up. Some kind of 335/339 would be great, as would a good Les Paul. Really, I'm open to suggestions. A few caveats though - no shred/pointy things, no tremolos and no massive necks (I find a Baja neck too big for my little hands if that's anything to go by!), other than that, I'm all ears! I'm also interested to hear about any acoustics that may hold similar value to the Tele for a trade.

Based in Plymouth, but can meet anywhere up to around a 30/40 mile radius if needed. For the sake of a price, I'd put it at £400, but really looking for trades as mentioned!

imageimageimage
Sarcasm is often hard to detect in writing. If in doubt - yes, I was taking the piss.
2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    That. Is. Gorgeous.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2892
    Fitasfook
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    Why doesn't the bridge plate bear a serial number?
  • andrewandrew Frets: 47
    My understanding in the it's standard fare for '52RI's to have the serials on the neck pocket. I think I've only seen real 50's examples with the number stamped in the bridge plate as you describe.
    Sarcasm is often hard to detect in writing. If in doubt - yes, I was taking the piss.
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    Do you have any pictures of the neck pocket?

I suspect that the the walnut plug in the headstock is the wrong shape for a USA 52 reissue neck.
    Never had the neck off I'm afraid! This is my first '52RI and as it has been modified I'm not exactly sure what is standard and extra beyond what I've listed above. Any extra info is appreciated! Although i don't have any photo's of the neck pocket, if there's any other parts that I can photograph and add to the listing to help identify it, do let me know. I just need it for a gig at the weekend and don't have an extra set of strings to put on it after I've taken the neck off!
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4270
    edited April 2015
    Serial number should definitely be on the bridge plate on these. Struggling to think why any would change that as a modification. i.e. replace it with an identical style of bridge plate?

Also, I thought the headstock decal should be over the finish on these guitars. Hard to tell for sure, but looks like it's under the finish. (Also, not a huge deal, but the pickguard screws should be flat head, not cross head on this model I think)

Wondering if it's maybe a Japanese model?

Think you will need to take the neck off to have a look. Loosen strings a bit. Capo at 1st Fret. Unscrew neck. Take picture. Screw neck back on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for the extra info! The decal is under the lacquer, for sure. I'll have a look tonight and try and get a good image under there. Am I looking in the pocket itself or the back of the neck for the serial?

Thanks all!
    The USA ones vary a bit I think. Some stickers, some stamps, some writing. But if it is MIJ, then fair chance there will be ink stamps on both the neck and the body. You will be able to check them online somewhere to see what it is.

Is there any suggestion that the back of the neck has been sanded (where it joins the body). Lots of the Japanese guitars have Made in Japan printed there.
    Yeah, I thought that - no 'Crafted in Japan' or 'Made in Japan' on the neck. I had looked and there's no sign or one ever being there, I would expect ink stains or something...
    The plot thickens!

Here are some photo's of the neck pocket as requested. I'm no Tele expert so hopefully someone can interpret what we have here! It seems to have a handwritten date (not that I can make it out) but that wouldn't be too unusual I think. But that label and the initials on the neck?

Let's hear some theories!

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Yep 100% it's one of those natural finish telecasters! GLWS
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2015
    Blimey...Hard to know what it is... Those stickers with the numbers down the left are often on Fender USA necks. And the 12th fret dot spacing is narrow like it should be on a 52ri. But pretty sure the decal under the finish is not right for that model...

There is nothing on the body at all really that suggest it is a 52ri. Everything is wrong as far as I can see. The bridge, the pickguard screws etc.

The neck pocket doesn't tell you much. Except, I would say that 52ri's are pretty consistent and Fender make so many they have it down to a tee, and I therefore wouldn't expect the need to have those dodgy looking shims in there to get a normal neck angle.

Which adds weight to the idea that the neck and body did not start life together.

Make of all that what you will.  :D

Is there a date pencilled on the heel end of the neck??
    Thanks for the insight! It wouldn't be too hard to believe based on it's history. Unfortunately there are no further markings on the neck heel itself...
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    You said that the neck was stripped and refinished in nitro - could it not be that the MIJ/CIJ were lost at that point, and the Fender decal ended-up below the finish?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    At a minimum it should have slot head screws for a US reissue. 

JookyChap;615256" said:
    You said that the neck was stripped and refinished in nitro - could it not be that the MIJ/CIJ were lost at that point, and the Fender decal ended-up below the finish?
    Quite possible I suppose!
  • SetzerSetzer Frets: 37
    My 52RI has the headstock decal on top of the finish, a serial number stamped into the baseplate and the slot head screws, I hope thats of some help to try to identify this guitar! 
    Valar Morghulis
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    Looks like a classic bitsa,has enough of the correct bits to deceive many people !
    Not trying to imply the current custodian did that but you see this over and over with Fender looking stuff.
    Looks a nice guitar.
    Thanks everyone for your input, very helpful and most interesting!

I guess the original seller stretched the word 'modified' somewhat - but I'm not too bothered! I do really love the guitar and it's all the more reason to keep it! Also, an instant cure the GAS (knowing it can't really be sold!)...