looking for Ideas

What's Hot
samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
I will soon take delivery of an aluminium neck per the below pic. These necks are set up to fit fender style bodies, Strats, Tele's and Jags. Now I'm sure those measurements that these guitars share are probably shared amongst other brands too (??).

At first i was set on making an Esquire...buying a cheap squire tele and slapping the neck on...buying a good bridge pickup and new scratchplate to cover the neck routing as well. Then, if necessary, in the future slowely upgrade the hardware.

But then i started seeing other bolt on guitar shapes, some weird tele shapes and offsets...now i'm open to more ideas of what this guiatr could be.

I do like the idea of a 1 pickup guitar though, single coil or P90 and not really keen on a trem...so anyone got any ideas for me?

for ref, this is the neck:
0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4267
    Where did you find that magnificent beast? :O
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6944
    edited April 2015
    Have a wow. I don't think I have seen those before.

The Tele Cabronita style suits a single pickup config...

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24882
    A Cabronita-style Jazzmaster?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I think it might look good on a squier supersonic type body.
  • Something with a Bigsby

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    hmm...that single pickup cab looks good...and supersonic is ok, but too close to a strat...I dont like strats.

as far as bigsby's go...already covered.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6944
    Im not sure if these have standard Fender size neck pockets but it would be a cheap option. The Ally neck needs to be mated with something different - mother of toiletseat would be perfect.

https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_te_60_pearloid_b_stock.htm?ref=mrl_a_1
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3023
    Go and have a look at Jezz Woodroffe guitars. I reckon the single P90 Starcaster body would look pretty cool
  • samzadgan;614290" said:
    hmm...that single pickup cab looks good...and supersonic is ok, but too close to a strat...I dont like strats.

as far as bigsby's go...already covered.
    Are we thinking about the same guitar? Doesn't look like a strat to me...

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb102/flanging_fred/Music/Squier_Super-Sonic_001_zps2lcoxemf.jpg
    oh...ok...i was thinking of something else...that does look very interesting!

• samzadgan;614344" said:
    oh...ok...i was thinking of something else...that does look very interesting!
    Ah, good.I thought I was going potty :)
  • ...and for some reason a schaller piezo hannes bridge and a p90 would be cool. Shit, if you don't build it I might. That neck has got my creative juices going.. Lovely bit o tin that is.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73232
    The Supersonic body won't fit though - and nor will a Jaguar or Mustang for the same reason… they're 24"-scale and the neck pocket to bridge spacing is different.

It's fairly easy to tell - a 22-fret neck (assuming it's not like a modern Fender US model with an overhang) is a 24" scale, and a 21-fret is a 25.5" scale.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

i was just doing some more reading on the neck...its built for a 21 fret strat pocket...it will also work on some tele's but there will be small gaps due to the shape of the pocket, but i can cover it up with a pickguard.

other option is to get a body made up to fit perfectly...which although more expensive might be a good option and may make the guitar a real keeper.
  • DinosauriaDinosauria Frets: 67
    edited April 2015
    It'd look spiffy on a black Tele Custom body. Especially with the WRHBs. They have a Strat neck pocket too.

What about a Telemaster? You can get one of those made up for about £80, correct scale and neck pocket.
  • It's got to be a black jazzmaster dude.

Strat pocket, and brushed aluminium hardware. You might not find a brushed jazzmaster bridge so you may have to Bigsby it...

Fuck, don't do that, get a Tele body, wudtone it black magic woman, and ask ash for a high output tele bridge pickup. It'll bloody roar! You could use a brushed aluminium Bigsby, too, without invoking the wrath of the gods. Although @bucket may never talk to you again...

Again, like last time, if the neck isn't for you, let me know.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    Black double-bound Tele Custom, chrome pickguard. Do it.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    Don't know where you'd find one but that neck would suit a clear acrylic body.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Where did you find that magnificent beast? :O
    This! I've read the thread three times, why wouldn't this get answered!?!
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    edited April 2015
    Ha sorry...i did a thread on this a while ago with more details.

The neck is made by Bastins guitars in the US. He did a run of 30 or 40 pre-orders. I believe once he finishes the pre-orders his going to start selling them on a regular basis.