Welcome Melvyn Hiscock

What's Hot
@melvynhiscock signed up yesterday.

Given the number of people here that his book has guided through the guitar-making process, I thought a few here might want to join me in saying "WELCOME"
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72897
    Wow!

:D

That book was quite an inspiration to me.

A big welcome!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Very welcome indeed :)

• martmart Frets: 5205
    Wow! That's great news. 

Let's just hope he didn't sign up from he same IP address as JCon. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5586
    Legend!
    Hello, and welcome aboard!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16858
    I imagine Melvyn is now blushing and wondering how to live up to the expectations we are setting.

Welcome aboard Melvyn. Spiritual father of the DIY guitar builder :p
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16317
    I hope it's the real Melvyn in which case excellent news. :)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12697
    Yes, welcome indeed Melvyn - your book was a huge inspiration to me too (although the initial one I had was on loan from the local library for about a year before I got told to bring it back as I was being 'selfish'... the joys of being a teenager with no money). The copy I have now has been there for more years than I'd care to remember... :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Hope so... otherwise there's a very bemused new member with the same name wondering what all the fuss is about.  :D

Welcome to the board either way, of course...  ;)
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 339
    Having had the great man make me a couple of Explorers many moons ago this is great news for the forum.

Of note, he is making excellent pick-ups these days (which are on my must have list). 

Actually that gives me an idea!

@melvynhiscock  if you read this do you have any strat sets at the moment? Also are you real?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27825
    Rox said:
    Hope so... otherwise there's a very bemused new member with the same name wondering what all the fuss is about.  :D

Using my special admin powers, I'd say from the email addy used to sign up, that this is the real deal.

:)

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16317
    TTony said:
    Rox said:

Using my special admin powers, I'd say from the email addy used to sign up, that this is the real deal.

:)

Oooh.
    Not that anyone else called Melvyn isn't a worthwhile and lovely human being of course. http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/640x360/p01h8vdl.jpg
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Awesome!
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • Thanks chaps.

I have just had a look in the mirror and I do appear to be me. This is a relief as I am sure you can understand. I once woke up and spent three weeks as a greengrocer from Hull by mistake.

Thanks for the nice words about the book. I am still here, fixing stuff and making things and selling books (running low on the Electric book at the moment but I do have copies of Make Your Own Acoustic Guitar).

Horace B, I do have strat pickups, in standard and hybrid sets and as individuals. The hybrids are interesting and voiced for which position they are. I also have humbuckers, Tele pickups and will soon have some more P90s as the last set I had got put onto one of my own guitars. I can also wind to order.

I even have a couple of guitars for sale at the moment with a few more to come soon.
    9reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 339
    Oooh! I'll pm you 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10948
    tFB Trader
    Thanks chaps.

I have just had a look in the mirror and I do appear to be me. This is a relief as I am sure you can understand. I once woke up and spent three weeks as a greengrocer from Hull by mistake.

Thanks for the nice words about the book. I am still here, fixing stuff and making things and selling books (running low on the Electric book at the moment but I do have copies of Make Your Own Acoustic Guitar).

Horace B, I do have strat pickups, in standard and hybrid sets and as individuals. The hybrids are interesting and voiced for which position they are. I also have humbuckers, Tele pickups and will soon have some more P90s as the last set I had got put onto one of my own guitars. I can also wind to order.

I even have a couple of guitars for sale at the moment with a few more to come soon.
    Hi Melvyn ... like so many others your book started me on guitar building and repair ... and lead to many years of work in the business and finally to forming Oil City Pickups/ASL.
    Good to see you here geezer.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    I've just been on your site but none of the links appear to work. I'm interested in buying your book on building electrics.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8816
    I was trying to buy a copy early this morning. The website says to email Melvyn directly
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2971
    tFB Trader
    Have a 'wow', and welcome :) Your book was worth it's weight in gold before the internet, it was the bible when I made my first one.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3106
    The great man is among us.  - welcome sir!
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Books are available, but limited at the moment. Best to email me on melvyn *at* melvynhiscock dot com

MH