Truss rod turns but doesn't straighten neck

What's Hot
ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
edited May 2015 in Guitar
Can anything be done to fix this? Guitar is a Vintage V52 Icon tele style.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7349
    Try loosening it first.

Then try to tighten it.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Not being rude but are you sure it's turning in the right direction?
    I've done that before
    If it's completely loose and the neck is still bowed it may be that the neck is out of shape
    Although in my experience a good firm wiggle about can help
    Grip the top edge of the body firmly and the top end of the headstock and give it a nice firm slow flex
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    edited May 2015
    Thanks but I've tried it both clockwise to tighten/straighten and anticlockwise to ease/bow.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7349
    Probably cheaper to get a new neck for it then.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    How far have you tried turning it? It's possible that unless you've given it several full turns, it still hasn't come up tight yet. Some truss rods are sent out from the factory like that.

It's also possible that it has and that either the nut is stripped or the anchor at the other end has come undone… the first is fixable for less than the cost of a new neck, the second isn't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SargeSarge Frets: 2441
    IIRC these are two way truss rods yeah? does loosening it lots give lots of relief?
    I think @ICBM is right that the anchor at the other end has come undone. The nut is giving resistance as I turn it but after a few quarter turns the resistance gives, then after a few more it comes back. Also loosening it lots does nothing for the bow. Good job I bought a neck on here some time ago. Was going to try in on my Harley Benton but now lets see if it fits this V52! :) Thanks chaps!
    Chalky said:
    I think @ICBM is right that the anchor at the other end has come undone. The nut is giving resistance as I turn it but after a few quarter turns the resistance gives, then after a few more it comes back.
    That sounds more like the nut has stripped and is clicking back one thread just as it comes tight. Take it out completely and see if some metal swarf comes out of the hole. If it is stripped, you probably need a new nut - luckily, it's usually the nut that strips and not the rod. The tolerances on the parts of cheaper guitars are often quite poor and just putting a different nut on it can often fix it.

I just had to do that on an ancient 'Woolworth's Special' - the original nut was so tight it wouldn't turn, but I could feel the neck twisting so I knew it was the nut jammed on the rod that was the problem. A different old nut from my box of random spare ones worked perfectly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Will investigate more then - thanks!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    I agree with ICBM. Dodgy nut. If it was the anchor, it would just keep turning.
    Thanks guys. Ok, so unscrewed completely and looked at the 1 inch long nut and can't see anything obvious on the thread but don't have a spare nut to try. Could try one off another guitar but is there a risk of buggering up that nut too? Got to try it anyway I guess....
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 729
    Have you got any taps? You could at least check the nuts are the same thread and size... Or a bolt that fits it could be used to check the other nut...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Clever thinking @brucegill - will see what bolts I can find. Thanks!
    edited May 2015
    @Chalky nay problem :) if you get stuck for a new nut I can posibley make one for you on the lathe....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I could send you a random spare nut to try if you have a rough idea of what thread it is - I'm guessing it will probably be M6x1, most of them seem to be on far-east guitars. I have a few, it's one of the things I always save from completely scrap guitars.

Thanks gentlemen. Based on your sage advice I will take the working nut off a V62 that I have and find a bolt that fits it. The I'll use that bolt to test the nut off the V52. I'll report back my findings. Time of a drink now. Cheers! :)
    @ICBM and @brucegill - Spot on gentlemen, the actions above demonstrated that the v52 nut was stripped! Now I have to find a generic for far east truss rods. Many thanks!
    Sweet! Hopefully ICBM Can sort you out. If not, get in touch bud
    If you can confirm it's an M6x1 I have a few spares, PM me.

edited May 2015
    @ICBM and @brucegill -Right, I think I can see how it got stripped. The unstripped truss rod nut got very very tight in turning it enough (without any strings on) to get that little touch of backbow that I'd expect. Putting the same gauge strings back on showed it had worked as intended, leaving less relief than before. So now, is it worth unscrewing the nut and somehow lubricating the truss rod with wd40 or similar?