NGD: Rickenbacker 660/12 Tom Petty

What's Hot
KylefKylef Frets: 1092
Got another dream guitar ticked off the list. Sold my 360/12 Mapleglo recently as I intended to get myself a c63 Harrison model...that was, until this came up. 

I've always been a fan of Tom Petty and Mike Campbell so know all about the story of how this guitar come about (starting with the Damn The Torpedos album cover). 

The guitar is great. Doesn't ring out as much as my 360/12 did acoustically, but I'll be damned if I could tell a difference plugged in (my 360/12 also had Toaster pickups, however the Toasters in the TP are certainly hotter. This one is certainly going to be a keeper, however I still have my intentions on getting a c63. I'll certainly find one way of justifying it, even if it's to have the different neck types!

0reaction image LOL 15reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6866
    edited May 2015 tFB Trader
    Ooof! VERY nice, good score!

@PC1971 check this out...
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    Congrats!
    We are all Chameleons...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    I hate rickenbackers and thats what im going to say over and over until the jealousy goes away....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 627
    Stunning....love the binding...not seen one of these before. There is something unique and classy about Riccys that I can't put mny finger on. They just work.......A 360 fireglo is on my bucket list. 
  • martmart Frets: 5213
    Very nice!
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    It's Tom Petty's that alone makes it super cool. DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1249
    Very nice. I have the 660/12 which is the poor person's version of the Petty sig, relatively speaking.

Of course I'm not quite as handsome as Tom so the overall effect isn't quite the same....

11reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    Basher said:
    Very nice. I have the 660/12 which is the poor person's version of the Petty sig, relatively speaking.

Of course I'm not quite as handsome as Tom so the overall effect isn't quite the same....

In all honesty I think it was the cut of the jacket that did it for Tom. DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3847
    edited May 2015

That's gorgeous.

That combination of fireglo, gold plastics and checkerboard binding ....
    >:D<
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    Could you record the intro to 'Free Falling' and post the clip, please?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    Oh god that's awesome. Good score! :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    Very nice. I had a black 660/12 until quite recently - I just didn't use it enough to justify keeping that much money tied up in it though, so sadly it had to go when I wanted another expensive acoustic.

I also found it sounded quite different from my friend's 'George Harrison' 360/12V64 - even more so when we'd swapped the pickups so he got the newer and more vintage-accurate 7K pickups and I got the 12Ks which the early V64s came with. (I later swapped the neck one back to a 7K and fitted a 'vintage cap' on the bridge one, I found the 12Ks slightly too middy.) The 360 was much more 'plunky', the 660 much more ringing, even amplified.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    edited May 2015
    Apart from the tailpiece, I prefer the R shaped one, I think those are the most beautiful guitars ever. I nearly bought one of these years ago but the neck was too narrow for me. If I'd thought it over more carefully I would have realised that I could've adapted to it. Oh well... maybe some other time.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 567
    lordy lordy, thats prudy.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    <swoon> most excellent GAS !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    Sassafras said:
    Apart from the tailpiece, I prefer the R shaped one, I think those are the most beautiful guitars ever. I nearly bought one of these years ago but the neck was too narrow for me. If I'd thought it over more carefully I would have realised that I could've adapted to it. Oh well... maybe some other time.
    The 660 has a wider neck - it's the 620 that has the standard Rick narrow one.

Unless you mean a 660 neck is too narrow for you, in which case you're just weird :).

The R tailpiece does look pretty but they are not unknown to break on the 12-strings, and getting a new one out of Rickenbacker is the most massive pain in the bum, as well as expensive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

Really lovely looking guitar.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    ICBM said:
    Sassafras said:

Unless you mean a 660 neck is too narrow for you, in which case you're just weird :).

The R tailpiece does look pretty but they are not unknown to break on the 12-strings, and getting a new one out of Rickenbacker is the most massive pain in the bum, as well as expensive.

I can't remember what model number but it was a 6 string and the neck was too skinny but the guitar was a beauty. Now I wish I'd bought it. Like I say, you can get used to different shaped necks. Unfortunately at the time, about 45 years ago, I didn't realise that.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Sassafras said:
    ICBM said:
    Sassafras said:

I can't remember what model number but it was a 6 string and the neck was too skinny but the guitar was a beauty. Now I wish I'd bought it. Like I say, you can get used to different shaped necks. Unfortunately at the time, about 45 years ago, I didn't realise that.
    The 610 I used to have had a ridiculously narrow neck- it was starting to make my fingers cramp. Haven't had that bother with any other Rics.

@Kylef good score! I have often looked at these and thought 'Mmmm'. Lovely things.
  • NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    ICBM;628959" said:

I've had an "R" tailpiece go on me. Sent it back to Rickenbacker via Rosetti and took about 2 months and £100. A more regular bum pain is restringing the thing as it's very fiddly. But I wouldn't swap it for a plain one as they just aren't as pretty to me.

Wow for the OP though. That's really nice.