NGD: Rickenbacker 660/12 Tom Petty

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    Sassafras said:
    I can't remember what model number but it was a 6 string and the neck was too skinny but the guitar was a beauty. Now I wish I'd bought it. Like I say, you can get used to different shaped necks. Unfortunately at the time, about 45 years ago, I didn't realise that.
    That would have been a 620, and they only did skinny necks then. The 660 was the first with the wide neck - it came in in the 90s, the TP was the first version. I like it on the 660/12 but it actually feels far too big on the 660/6. On the other hand I like standard Rick necks on the 6-strings.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dang. Not so keen on the scratch plate, but thats just me splitting hairs.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    Not so keen on the scratch plate, but thats just me splitting hairs.
    I prefer them with the upper one removed. I think they look less fussy and it stops the clicky noise when you hit it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BasherBasher Frets: 1249
    Could you record the intro to 'Free Falling' and post the clip, please
    Wasn't that done on acoustic? Although I think he uses the 'leccy 12 live. Not trying to steal Kylef's thunder but I thought I'd have a go anyway, just for larks.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10105
    Lovely guitar mate... Nice 'pinking' of the sunburst. Ive owned and collected many Rickies, but neverhad the fortune to own the TP model. Awesome to,play with that lovely wide neck.... Enjoy !
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10105
    As for that scratch plate, BE-A-U-TIFULL !!!!

I just got a gold one for my 360/12 WB...

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/Rickenbacker 360WB 12 String/P1030779.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Wonderful. Superb guitar.
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1092
    Thanks for the comments. Can tell already it's going to be a long honeymoon period with this guitar. Gets better every time I play it, even re-strung it with hardly(!) any bother.
    I agree with @ICBM, after trying the guitar through different amps I'm noticing a bit more midrange than my old 360/12 had. Not finding this a bad thing, just can't get it to ice pick like my 360/12 could. An option on my Janglebox can sort that if I ever need it though.

What my iPhone camera hasn't picked up in the photos is the guitar has a fair bit of maple flame. Tried to show it below.

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p437/Kylefarrell/Rickenbacker 660-12 Tom Petty/396F68D7-DD93-4D7B-8796-1620443F9ED7_zpsukk2jd6w.jpg