North West Guitar Show Sunday 17th May

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    The spring-lead guy really looked like he'd got his dream job didn't he :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wiggum32Wiggum32 Frets: 19
    I was there to give a mate a chuck-up on his stall. He's been there for the last couple of years and he didn't get much trade this year - from speaking to some other trader I think that was the general feeling (certainly on the top floor anyway). And more importantly, I'm kicking myself for not picking up the Danelectro DC 59 that was going for £150 - all I could hear in my head was the nagging that Mrs Wiggum would've given me when I got home with it!!!
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6843
    tFB Trader
    Wiggum32 said:
    I was there to give a mate a chuck-up on his stall. He's been there for the last couple of years and he didn't get much trade this year - from speaking to some other trader I think that was the general feeling (certainly on the top floor anyway). 
    This is interesting. Do you think Guitar Shows are generally on the wain these days? Or folks still not spending? 

I have to admit, the last couple I have been to, there have been no 'bargains' to speak of or 'mega giveaways'. I remember years ago at the big ones at the NEC, one could get a handful of guitar stands or leads or strings for not much more than a tenner. Those days, unless i'm missing them, seem to be gone.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    miserneil said:
    This is interesting. Do you think Guitar Shows are generally on the wain these days? Or folks still not spending? 

I have to admit, the last couple I have been to, there have been no 'bargains' to speak of or 'mega giveaways'. I remember years ago at the big ones at the NEC, one could get a handful of guitar stands or leads or strings for not much more than a tenner. Those days, unless i'm missing them, seem to be gone.
    Attendance seemed to be high, but mostly middle-aged blokes like me, not buying anything*.

The prices did seem mostly on the high side (that could be my age) but I'm sure there was haggling to be done.

*I did buy a Fender amp. And possibly a Gibson guitar.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1217
    miserneil said:

Must confess that I haven't been to one for many years.
    I never saw them as buying opportunities. The general noise level, crowds and suchlike would put me off that. I did play a few things to see if I liked the general feel, some of which I went on to buy elsewhere.

Like you, I saw them as a chance to pick up a bunch of cheap leads, strings or a stand at a decent discount, and at the same time getting to see some decent players in the demo rooms.

Maybe it's my age but there seemed to be a much broader spectrum of players at the shows of yesteryear. I've seen great acoustic playing from Gordon Giltrap/Adrian Legg, great Jazz from Martin Taylor, Esmond Selwyn & Adrian Ingram country from Jerry Donahue, killer funk/rock bass playing from Doug Wimbish etc. at these shows. I get the impression (and it is that, I might be wrong) that all the demos these days are from the shredders or dreadful middle-aged, blues-rock blokes (I'm probably one of those myself, hence the disdain). 

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24882
    It was packed when I was there (about 11.00am - 1.00ish) - I was genuinely surprised actually. It didn't seem to have been advertised much in advance - and there was no 'Star Turn' like the Peter Green/Gary Moore Les Paul which was there last year.

Most of the used stuff on sale was pretty ordinary/widely available - there were fewer vintage guitars this year than I've seen for a long time. I agree prices seemed toppy.

A couple of big retailers (Reidy's and Sound Affects) had some decent 'show' deals - including Taylor and CS Fenders as significant discounts.

I bumped into a few people I'd not seen for a while - but generally, not as good as last year's.