Hercules GS455B guitar stands

What's Hot
EartrumpetEartrumpet Frets: 98
Not sure if this is the right section to post?

Anyone had an issue with the "Comfort grip" on these?

Both have mine have gone sticky, like something has been spilled on them. Turps / meths / wash up liquid will not budge it. It actually looks like the top layer of the polymer has broken down.
These have never been out of the house and have not been subject to extremes of temperature.

Can anyone suggest a good guitar stand to replace these?
thanks again people
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    edited May 2015
    Personally I would contact Hercules before doing anything, I don't know how long you've had them, but I've had some of their stands and hangers for many years and all are still in tip top condition.

Am I right in assuming it's the section that holds the neck that's got the problem?  I wonder if it's possible that you don't wipe your guitar down afterwards and something or other has transferred from your hands, to your guitar neck and ultimately to your stand.  Otherwise I can't think why you have the issue.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    Yeah I have a hercules one guitar stand (can't remember the model) which went sticky too. Not sure what happened (sunlight? too close to a radiator? I doubt it but that's all I can think of).
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2511
    Yes, the newer ones have reverted to hard plastic for this reason as far as I know
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    The plastic, pvc I think is breaking down, happened on all of them, not long after new either.  Defective.  Eventually they crack and drop your guitar.  I bought a 7.5m tape measure the other day for a quid in 99p stores that has a similar texture, it stinks worst than creosote, can't even keep it in my van.  Weird stuff.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • EartrumpetEartrumpet Frets: 98
    Thanks everyone. I will contact Hercules asap

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24866
    edited May 2015
    With a name like Hercules you'd expect they'd only use the very strongest materials.
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    I have one thats done exactly the same, might try en email too

keep us updated
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Bizarre, I've had 2 of them for about 4 years. Pretty much as new for me...
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    Suncream
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    I avoid Hercules like $2.00 h#whores because of the materials their equipment is made of, don't get me wrong their desins are nothing short of impressive, innovative and down right genius, however their choice of materials that they make their products from suck more than a $2.00 whore does, and that's what seriously lets down what would other wise be seriously impressive industry leading equipment. 

Everyone I know and work with, my social life revol;ves around my work, and my work revolves around my social life, I don't have many if any friends outside of my work, avoids their products, even though they look extremely cool for what they are, everyone I know and work with will not use their products nor touch them, it's a shame really because some of their designs are trully revolutionary, and way ahead of the curve of their closest competitors design wise, but their material selection lets them down big time, which is a crying shame because design wise they are fantastic, they look cool, they can even be argued to be buiolt well - if you ugnore to bad material choice.

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    strtdv said:
    Yes, the newer ones have reverted to hard plastic for this reason as far as I know
    Wow. Pity they didn't notice a bit sooner.
    Sambostar said:
    The plastic, pvc I think is breaking down, happened on all of them, not long after new either.  Defective.  Eventually they crack and drop your guitar. 
    Wow, thanks for the heads up :-O I'm only using mine temporarily until I get a new stand into operation, this might speed me up a bit. :)
  • bluetinstarbluetinstar Frets: 14
    I have 4 of them. The oldist one is about 16 years old, and the newest one is about 2 years old.
    Never had an issue with any of them.  From my experience of Hercules stands, they are a great design and build quality,
    with perfectly fit for purpose construction materials.
    If I was at all concerned about their functionality/integrity, I don't think I would have $10,000 worth of guitars hanging on them !!
    Fred

Sent Hercules an email, no reply as yet.
    I will post the reply when it comes.

The design is super, they do the job well.... but the stickiness is just a no no and if they are likely to fail, they gotsta go
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    I've had the wall hangers for 12 years - I even moved house and took them with. Great things.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Well I've had no problems with my Hercules stands.  One is a double one with the rubbery-finish adjusting handle like the one the OP mentioned, and I don't think mine is sticky (I never move it but had a bit of a feel last night (fnar) and I wouldn't say it's sticky).  That one lives permanently at home out of the sun though, so doesn't get a hard life.  I've had it probably five years.

My other Hercules is one of these http://www.herculesstands.co.uk/p/shoksafe-guitar-stand?pp=24 and gets taken out regularly, but that one doesn't have any of that soft-feel plastic.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

My other Hercules is one of these http://www.herculesstands.co.uk/p/shoksafe-guitar-stand?pp=24 and gets taken out regularly, but that one doesn't have any of that soft-feel plastic.
    That's the one I use, I much prefer that to the grab stands.
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    Well, I've sent an email too, 4 days ago.....no reply, I guess they're not interested
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5113
    Sambostar said:
     I bought a 7.5m tape measure the other day for a quid in 99p stores.
    They overcharged you!  :)
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    1nten5e said:
    Well, I've sent an email too, 4 days ago.....no reply, I guess they're not interested
    Call them.

01793 461650
    Still no reply to my email, i will call them and let you all know...