Thinking of buying a cheap neck? Don't bother!

What's Hot
4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
in Making & Modding tFB Trader
So I ordered a neck for a project - brand new £25 delivered. Got to be worth a try right?

NOPE.

Looks OK at first, but on closer inspection the frets are like rollercoasters ... not fully pressed in on some spots, pressed in too hard and dented on others. Otherwise it looks OK, straight enough and fits the neck pocket well. 

Will cost me £10 to send the flipping thing back, so I thought about keeping it and doing something whacky. Any ideas? The few thoughts I had were -

1. Slide guitar? 
2. Keep it and practise re-fretting? 
3. Remove the frets and make a fretless tele ... ?
4. Travel down to see the seller and beat him around the head with it until the frets flatten?

Any other ideas for what to do with it?

Moral of the story - don't skimp on quality when buying a neck! Makes me realise just how good the GSPbases one I have on my other partscaster is!

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8844
    Option 2
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Agreed. If it turns out I'm no good at re-fretting, I can always go back to option 4 ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Name and shame so that someone else doesn't make the same mistake
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    5. Throw it away and move on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2015 tFB Trader
    Fair point. It was http://aggmusic.co.uk/

Goes by Alan George Guitars on Facebook I think. I don't want to completely ruin his reputation, maybe this was just a bad example. It would put me off ordering anything else from him though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    make it into a very cool coat hangar
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Option 4 definitely ~ It solves so many things in on go !

Don't bother with the fretless idea, I've done that before and unless you use an e-bow or a sustainer pickup you will get zero sustain, especially on the first string, you need a much denser (i.e. metal a la Vigier) fretboard to make it work acceptably.

Actually, I think two is your best option, educational and therapeutic  :)

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    I'd say you got your money's worth. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Yep. Lesson learned :)
  • Fair point. It was http://aggmusic.co.uk/

Goes by Alan George Guitars on Facebook I think. I don't want to completely ruin his reputation, maybe this was just a bad example. It would put me off ordering anything else from him though. 
    Good to know though, I've considered one or two of his guitars in the past but if that is anything to go by my money might be better spent elsewhere.
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    Turn it into some form of kinky sex toy for you and your partner?  Or if you're a sad loaner who doesn't have a significant other, you can turn it into some form of masturbation aid?

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
    tFB Trader
    I'm by no means a sad loaner. I very happily lend people things.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Yup - I think at £25 for a delivered neck your expectations should be at least primed  ;)  I think (know) I would struggle to get hold of the wood for that much!

There is an Option 5 - which is to use it to learn how to seat and level frets because - believe me - there are necks around at 4x the price that are just as un-playable without doing exactly that.  On that basis, £25 plus the bits to do the work could save you hundreds over the future years...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I suppose you could glue a thin strip of brass or tin to it once you've pulled the frets and make it a fretless. I'd try that with a £25 neck. Not much to lose. Otherwise it's options 2 or 4.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Aye, fret practice and spraying/finish practice.

(Ya tight wad ;). )
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4230
    A neck takes a lot of work to get right, it's the one area that you really should NOT skimp on where possible. For one thing, it's your interface to the guitar, it needs to feel right; secondly, fret levelling (& dressing) isn't a 2-second job, so factor in some budget for expected work to be required* once it arrives.

*USACG may be the one exception I know of for this, their work is almost spot on every time.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    Option 2 definitely!
    Reactivating this thread.

Looking to reduce the cost of my slide guitar challenge build I decided to buy a cheap neck from eBay. This one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111861223303. For £20 it would be cheaper than buying the wood and wire to make my own. I expected it to be made using the same machines and jigs as other Chinese necks, but using poor quality wood, and with badly seated frets. Actually the wood's not too bad, but the frets are out of place. 1 to 5 are OK, but then they get progressively flat until the 15 is a whole fret width out of place, after which they progress the other way until the 20th is half a fret width sharp.

What gives? Is there something about tempered scales that I don't understand? I haven't decided whether to keep it, because after all it's for a slide guitar, or send it back as it's not fit for purpose.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73019
    edited February 2016
    Could it be a different scale length than the body is designed for? It looks like the fret spacing is OK in the pictures in that the frets all appear to get progressively closer together - unlike a few old German guitars for example, where sometimes they get quite random above the 12th! It also doesn't specify scale length in the description… which is a fairly important omission.

Measure from the front face of the nut to the 12th fret. It should be 324mm.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Touchstone Tonewoods have tele and strat type necks - £35 and they are excellent. I've used them and the fretting was outstanding.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom