Thinking of buying a cheap neck? Don't bother!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 29116
    Didja contact the chap?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8845
    ICBM said:
    Could it be a different scale length than the body is designed for? It looks like the fret spacing is OK in the pictures in that the frets all appear to get progressively closer together ... Measure from the front face of the nut to the 12th fret. It should be 324mm.
    If the frets were consistently out of place then I could adjust the scales length. The nut to 12th fret measurement on this one is 322.5mm, so they are consistently closer up to this point, but then they deviate.
    Sporky said:
    Didja contact the chap?
    Not until I've decided whether to go for a refund, or a swap for one of their other necks. They get them boxed from China, and probably have no product knowledge.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8845
    Touchstone Tonewoods have tele and strat type necks - £35 and they are excellent. I've used them and the fretting was outstanding.
    If budget weren't important then that would be a good option. The slide guitar challenge has a total budget of £100, so I don't want to spend more than a third on the neck alone.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73019
    Roland said:
    If the frets were consistently out of place then I could adjust the scales length. The nut to 12th fret measurement on this one is 322.5mm, so they are consistently closer up to this point, but then they deviate.
    If they don't all fit the correct mathematical ratio for any scale length, then send it back because it isn't fit for purpose.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I vote option 4 followed by option 1 depending on the extent of option 4