Why is there not tons of love for the Pacifica?

What's Hot
spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
Maybe I'm wrong but don't see them get mentioned that often. Back in the day it was THE starters guitar. Maybe still is but I played a Pacifica 311 today. Didn't look at the price tag and although like many production guitars, would have been better with 10's on it, I couldn't fault the quality at all. Had all the toanz you would want, neck was perfect, action was great, trem stayed in tune. Then I found out the price! Almost an impulse purchase. It was brilliant and that isn't even the top model. I'm quite shocked after today they appear to get ignored way more than they should. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72532
    I think the problem is that although they're very well made and great value for money, they're almost completely characterless.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    I know what you mean but that in itself is character. Bit of a blank canvas so to speak. I got the impression that with heaver strings it would really come to life. I find the same with standard strats/ teles. Just a decent set of strings can make it a completely different beast. I do find Suhrs can be a bit like that. The ones I've played didn't really have a "vibe" but it was clearly outstanding quality. 
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    Also, when they first came out they were noticeably better in quality than other guitars at a similar price, but now everyone else has caught up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    ICBM;634293" said:
    I think the problem is that although they're very well made and great value for money, they're almost completely characterless.
    Exactly, and of course the last decade has seen plenty of cheap and good beginner guitars but with character too.

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Yes, they are now just one among many good cheap guitars - and still have zero character.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    I have had 2 Pacificas and 3 Affinitys, personally i prefer the feel of the Squiers. But technically the Pacifica probably had better electronics as standard.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4158
    Nut width is too narrow, and the profile's are often a bit too "generic slim C" for my tastes.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    I've always liked the Pacificas - the 112 is still an as good as it gets starter electric guitar. The upper end of the Pacifica range are just simply great Strat alike geetars. Great value for money at any end of their range.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    edited May 2015
    Every pacifica I've played has felt comfortable and sounded ok but I hate the headstock.   Almost as ugly as the epiphone head.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9726
    @spacecadet - my 311H is for sale in the classifieds if you're interested and for a lot less than the new price.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    John_P said:
    Every pacifica I've played has felt comfortable and sounded ok but I hate the headstock.   Almost as ugly as the epiphone head.
    It's actually a headstock I quite like. I think it's very difficult to get an original headstock design to look good. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    My 311 was built, played and sounded like a starter guitar. Others have caught up in the last twenty years whilst Yamaha have stood still.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    The other problem with a Pacifica is good luck selling one. Even if you buy one cheap and try to move it on it'll usually take a while to shift. G&L have this problem as well.
    HAL9000 said:
    @spacecadet - my 311H is for sale in the classifieds if you're interested and for a lot less than the new price.
    http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af135/roscoe2911/G_3d_plug_l_zpscfo7lbqx.png
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I'd love a higher end P, but the necks are just too small for me.

Pisses me right off frankly. :(
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    My first guitar was a Pacifica 112. Looks OK, sounds OK, nut too narrow so sold it after 3 months. They're just OK without any wow factor or character at all.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    My first electric, was great. Playing one now compared to what I've played since, I couldn't go back. But they have some great specs for a good price. 
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    I think that Yamaha have a similar problem, albeit to a slightly lesser extent, with all their models. They seem to get this "worthy but characterless" tag or "well made but lacking mojo" for the more expensive guitars.

I've been a big fan of their stuff over the years - I had an SF1000 back in the 80s, the Troy Van Leeuwen sig about 10 years ago and I'm currently really liking my SA2200 355-alike and I've owned an L25A acoustic for over 30 years. 

I think they are as good as anything in their respective price bracket but it's become clear that Yamaha seem to be less and less interested in electric guitars. They have put significant resources into developing those small amps so maybe there's a chance that they will come up with something new guitar-wise.

As far as Pacificas go, despite not being a fan of any kind of superstrat variants, I actually rather like the look of these:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited May 2015
    Yeah those have great specs, right?
    Now that is an excellent backup guitar. 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6206
    tFB Trader
    Basher said:
    I think that Yamaha have a similar problem, albeit to a slightly lesser extent, with all their models. They seem to get this "worthy but characterless" tag or "well made but lacking mojo" for the more expensive guitars.

I've been a big fan of their stuff over the years - I had an SF1000 back in the 80s, the Troy Van Leeuwen sig about 10 years ago and I'm currently really liking my SA2200 355-alike and I've owned an L25A acoustic for over 30 years. 

I think they are as good as anything in their respective price bracket but it's become clear that Yamaha seem to be less and less interested in electric guitars. They have put significant resources into developing those small amps so maybe there's a chance that they will come up with something new guitar-wise.

As far as Pacificas go, despite not being a fan of any kind of superstrat variants, I actually rather like the look of these:

I have the flame orange version of that, it's a lovely guitar and certainly not characterless.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com