Why is there not tons of love for the Pacifica?

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Mojo's overrated and possibly in the imagination. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    ICBM said:
    jeztone2 said:
    if Noël Gallagher turned up on 'Later...' with a PRS Hollowbody
    …he'd look a twat.

Admittedly he does anyway, but at least his playing style suits the Epiphone/Gibson semis, or maybe a Jazzmaster/Jaguar, Gretsch or Rickenbacker.

It would need someone new and cool who doesn't have the baggage of a previous style of music and who can impress a new generation who also don't associate them with middle-aged blues-rockers to play one, before they will be cool. It happened to some extent with the nu-metal players, but that seems to have died out a bit. Mike Einziger made them cool too, but he changed to a Jazzmaster.

So you've not seen Minus The Bear then?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    The only reason I don't play my Pacifica more is because the volume control is too close to the bridge. Not as bad as a Strat, but I still keep knocking it with the edge of my palm and changing the volume unintentionally.

Also, it's blue, and for some reason I have a mysterious prejudice against blue guitars. (Can blue guitars play the whites?:P)

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    @Jeremiah - so you don't like strats either? I also think the volume is to close to the strings.
    The pacifica 611's look good, especially for the money. Don't know how one compares to the PRS SE's for example.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9731
    edited June 2015
    I've got a 311H which is well built and sounds pretty good. The thing that goes against it (as others have already pointed out) is how narrow it is at the nut. Played in isolation it's fine, but play it straight after playing a Strat and you realise just how narrow (and wrong) it feels.
    Also, I'm now quite keen now to move it on and it's rapidly becoming clear how it has no secondhand value worth talking about.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    @Jeremiah - so you don't like strats either? I also think the volume is to close to the strings.
    The pacifica 611's look good, especially for the money. Don't know how one compares to the PRS SE's for example.
    Strats are the worst, but I also don't like anything that has the volume knob close to the bridge - PRS's, ESP/LTD and many "super Strats" from Ibanez, Jackson etc.

I keep thinking I could remove the volume control and use dual concentric pots for vol and tone in the position of the current tone knob, but that's work I never get around to.
  • jimboflojojimboflojo Frets: 122
    edited June 2015
    I have the 502v which is supposed to be exactly the same as the 611 aside from the bridge p90 rather than humbucker. To me it feels pretty similar to my prs se korina one which is supposed to be a wide fat neck. Anyway this is pretty geeky of me but I'm waiting for paint to dry so I've done some comparisons, don't have callipers so this is with a plastic tape measure. For the profiles I wrapped the tape around the back of neck touching either side of the fretboard: 
    PRS
    NUT WIDTH 43mm E -E STRING SPACE 35mm PROFILE AT NUT 70mm STRING SPACE 22 fret 47mm PROFILE 12 fret 80mm PACIFICA NUT WIDTH 42mm E-E STRING SPACE 34.5mm PROFILE AT NUT 68mm STRING SPACE 22 fret 48mm PROFILE 12 fret 79mm I reckon that walls dried now