Any Big Benders Like Them Thick?

What's Hot
RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6939
Strings that is. Toying with going up from 10's a gauge or two. I play a Telecaster, in standard tuning, looking for that extra bit of warmth and body. Only catch is I'm quite the bender, and am worried they'll be too much hard work. Thoughts from any benders out there with experience of thicker strings, please....?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    Gassage will be most disappointed when he clicks on this thread 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4908
    I'm a big bender and really like a heavy bottom. Gauge 10 with a heavy bottom, kind of like a set of 12's on the bottom and 10's on the top. I use gauge 11's on Gibson scale lengths and even Strats, but on tele's I like those country unison bends. Bending 2 strings at once anything above 10's gets a bit much.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7974
    Not worth it IMO. I bend loads and it is fine when you're playing regularly but take a couple of days off, or don't warm up, and you could injure yourself with thicker strings. The tone payoff is only worth it in certain situations too IMO, works nicely on mid gain single cool/P90 type stuff but if you play higher gain and or with humbuckers thick strings sometimes sound duller rather than fatter. If you did do it I'd recommend a low ish action to stop the tension getting too high on bends.

I might sound overly cautious but injuries are a pain in the backside.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 521
    For me, tele's are made for 11's. I use them on all my live guitars, anything lighter just feels fragile to me now. I have no issue bending with them either but can see why people do if they are used to lighter gauges. Initially it can be quite a big change to get used to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    11's allowed me to get through a set without breaking a string while I hammered away trying to be heard over our loud drummer.  Once I got used to them I really liked the tone and feel.  During times when I didn't get a chance to play for a few days I used "stress balls" to keep my hands in shape.   I had them on a Les Paul, an SG and a Fender Mustang.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 799
    11s all the way - I use them on my jazzmaster, can bend no problem. That 'double country' stuff mentioned above might be a but much but you can really hammer 11s with no breakage, and they seem to keep pitch better while doing it. I have 12s (with a wound G) on my yamaha 335-thing and that's NOT great for bends, although it's not impossible like some people make out. Be warned: I tried a guitar with 9s in a shop and was fretting embarrassingly sharp, so watch out - there's no going back!

• rocktronrocktron Frets: 807
    I've strengthened my fretting hand fingers with a VARIGRIP, but I still use 10s. 

I've tried 9s and found them too elastic, and 11s are too heavy for my liking.

I've been advised to put 11s on my semi-acoustic ES-335 copy to get a nicer tone.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6375
    I've just discovered the wonders of using 11s. No turning back for me now cos it feels like I'm playing a stringed instrument instead of pushing wires across a wooden board.. if that makes sense(?)

Mind you I play a lot of acoustic, so I find the heavier gauge has the response that I prefer.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    11's on all my guitars, and Tele's are my main gigging guitars.

I went from 10s many years ago, never break strings on 11's.

Acoustically I noticed that the guitar was louder and a bit beefier on 11's, not a big difference through an amp though.

The tension feels right for me, bends are ok. The odd country bend has given me am initial bit of grief, but a few practices and it's there.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6939
    Thanks all, real food for thought there.

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3689
    I play 11s on my Tele. Wouldn't use anything else now. However, why not try a set of 10.5s as a compromise and see how it feels before you go to a full set of 11s?
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    edited May 2015
    rocktron said:
    I've strengthened my fretting hand fingers with a VARIGRIP, but I still use 10s. 

<SNIP>
    you should ALWAYS bend from the WRIST!!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11976
    tFB Trader
    Many of our customers use 10-52s which is like half a set of tens on the unwound strings with the bass strings from a set of 12s
    I sometimes find that the bass strings are a little bit too heavy on this set , and developed a set we are trialing with the bass strings from a set of our 11 gauge.
    So the string gauges go :  10,13,17,28,38,50

Liking them a lot so far.......just need a name for the set and a cool picture from Vince Ray to go on the packet.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• FelineGuitars;635094" said:
    Many of our customers use 10-52s which is like half a set of tens on the unwound strings with the bass strings from a set of 12sI sometimes find that the bass strings are a little bit too heavy on this set , and developed a set we are trialing with the bass strings from a set of our 11 gauge.So the string gauges go :  10,13,17,28,38,50

Liking them a lot so far.......just need a name for the set and a cool picture from Vince Ray to go on the packet.
    Ooo I'd be interested in this for my jazzmaster! I have tens on it atm, but the low strings are just not quite there so I put on a 52 and it became a bit woofy and overpowering, even lowing the bass side of the pickups a bit. Was amazed at how different it was really...

So for now, I'm on tens but would try that set.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I'm a big bender and really like a heavy bottom.  

Are you in to leather?
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I went from 8s to 10s and it was hard at first but I got used to it after a week or so.  I don't find them that harder to bend now that my fingers have got used to them.  I think 11's would be great.
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 390
    I like 11s, tuned down to Eb for strats but can't bend properly so I avoid them. 
    No biggie as the sound I'd get would not be 100% suited for the band
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2161
    God I use 009-046. I must be unfashionable now. I think if I was playing full time I'd be on 10's but I'm a child of the 80's. Amazing to think 30 years ago 009-042 was what everyone seemed to use.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    FelineGuitars;635094" said:
    Many of our customers use 10-52s which is like half a set of tens on the unwound strings with the bass strings from a set of 12sI sometimes find that the bass strings are a little bit too heavy on this set , and developed a set we are trialing with the bass strings from a set of our 11 gauge.So the string gauges go :  10,13,17,28,38,50

I think this sounds like the dream string set for me, let us know when you have them available !