Musicians at gigs with £150 haircuts wanting the borrow everything?

What's Hot

Comments

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5117
    edited May 2015
    Rox said:
    A Cautionary Tale.

Once, a guitarist at a gig was allowed to play another guitarists guitar.  He loved playing it very very much, and the owner of the guitar - likely under the influence of drugs and/or drink - agreed to give the young lad the guitar for nothing.

Poor Peter Green.  :( 
    I believe Greeny initially loaned the LP to a teenage Gazza and later sold it to him for about $300, which was what he'd paid for it in the first place.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8505
    edited May 2015
    Actually thinking about it... this is the main reason I like to bring a combo amp. No awkward conversations where I try to dress up the fact I don't want to use the horrible 4x12 with 3 blown speakers that someone has provided for the night, and other guitarists are much less likely to ask to borrow a combo so once I'm done playing it can get loaded into the car ready for a quick exit when the singer starts a fight!

When I used a separate cab it was either superfluous because there was already a cab up there and I'd be 'precious' for using my own, or I had to lend it to the other bands, which I'm fine with in principle but when it's a 2x12 of greenbacks or Blues usually means I'm worried someone will blow a speaker. But you try explaining to a non-technical promoter or guitarist why you're not that happy with someone plugging an EVH III 100 watt head into a 30 or 50 watt cab - they'll always think you're being a cock.

Someone once asked if they could borrow a lead, strap and plectrum.
    :(|)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Rox said:
    A Cautionary Tale.

Once, a guitarist at a gig was allowed to play another guitarists guitar.  He loved playing it very very much, and the owner of the guitar - likely under the influence of drugs and/or drink - agreed to give the young lad the guitar for nothing.

I believe Greeny initially loaned the LP to a teenage Gazza and later sold it to him for about $300, which was what he'd paid for it in the first place.
    Don't ruin a perfectly good tale with your tawdry 'facts'.  ;)

Whenever I've seen the story told on documentaries, they always seem to say the guitar was 'given' to Moore.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3856
    Is it actually possible for a bloke to get a 150 quid haircut? I wanna see this.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73234
    Rox said:
    Rox said:
    A Cautionary Tale.

Don't ruin a perfectly good tale with your tawdry 'facts'.  ;)

Whenever I've seen the story told on documentaries, they always seem to say the guitar was 'given' to Moore.
    According to Moore, Green actually said "sell your guitar and give me whatever you get for it" - Moore's guitar at the time was a new-ish Les Paul Custom, so it wasn't nothing, although still worth a lot less (even then) than a '59 Standard.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Loobs said:
    Is it actually possible for a bloke to get a 150 quid haircut? I wanna see this.
    Here's a $150 haircut:

http://nypost.com/2013/10/16/the-150-haircut-that-got-me-laid/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73234
    Philly_Q said:

I'm just wondering who charges £150 for a haircut.

Does it look like this?

I'm guessing more like this these days…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846

:-O 150 quid for an bloody haircut! I nearly shit in me keks when I read that.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16472
    I often have to remember a plectrum on behalf of our singer and sometimes a tuner and he 'shares' my spare guitar in event of problems ( which if he uses his Gretsch is almost certain). He does remember the entire PA though!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11462
    Philly_Q said:

I'm just wondering who charges £150 for a haircut.

Does it look like this?

He used to cut my hair back when he was plain old Chris Hammill. I cannot imagine it cost me more than a few quid.
  • True tale this.. It's worse when it's your own band sabotage YOU! Was playing a bike rally, big hotel, huge audience all pissed/drugged up..great fun. Rockin an old 70's Marshall and 4x12 when the singer busts a string. What does the twat do? Grabs my strat (I'm playing an rg) and starts beating it. Then I bust two strings on my rg, spare in the hands of a yodelling twat. Horrible floating trem no floaty no more ... Then he busts the strings on my strat in the same breath. Y couldn't write it. True. Red faced and mortified and put me in bad form... Idiots.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Phil_aka_Pip;637076" said:
    english_bob said:

bingefeller said:

What is landfill indie?

Basically mediocre, disposable noughties "indie" music- Scouting for Girls and that.

so, similar to eighties and nineties indie then - trashy guitars strummed badly through trashy tranny amps using boring rhythms?

BTW how did the OP know that bloke had a £150 haircut? Did he ask him what he paid for it?
    One of my Ex's was a hairdresser.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7414
    DefaultM said:
    Had this happen on Friday with someone asking to borrow the bass cab because he didn't own one. He was told no.
    I assume he doesn't own one because he doesn't have the money, so if he breaks someone else's he's certainly not going to pay out for a new one is he?

Fair enough if your amp just broke and you're desperate, but don't join a gigging band if you don't have the gear in the first place. An electric instrument is pretty quiet without amplification and you're going to look pretty stupid if everyone else says no.
    I bet it's cos he's actually a guitarist.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    It's not that hard to spend £150 at the hairdressers, my ex-missus never had trouble spending even more than that.

John Kerry, American secretary of state, regularly spends $2000 on his haircuts.
    Me, I use a set of no 2 clippers on what's left of my hair. Costs me nothing.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    gigable gear is so cheap these days, there is no excuse.  Apart from an emergency and something breaking (when they should have a spare) If they are don't have enough wits to own and transport gear then they probably don't have enough sense and respect to look after your gear.   It's a simple no.
  • NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    My band were the opening act at a pub in Brighton once. After turning up on time, we sat around waiting for the "headliners" to arrive. At which point a spotty kid bounces up to me and says "I need to borrow your amp".

I told him firmly that as we would be finishing at 8.30 and he would be unlikely to be on before 10.30 I would be most of the way up a27 by then.

I'm a miserable old git sometimes :)

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 361
    Lent a particularly annoying bunch of Indie types a head and cab and watched open mouthed as the guitarist unplugged the cab with the head live....
    Now I'm not proud of my revenge but it was bordering on evil genius.....
    The offending guitarist also asked to use my tuner which I refused as I didn't trust him with my board. I did offer him the lend of a clip on though, which I reset from 440 tuning to not quite 440 tuning. I didn't feel bad then or now, he was a twat.
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    As a bassist it was pretty rare I'd end up using my bass amp, but it was always in the car ready to go, and I'd always check before that the owner of the amp was genuinely happy to share, and if he minded me using a distortion pedal with it. With facebook and the like there is no excuse for not getting in touch in advance. I'd also offer to let them use my pedalboard if there was anything they fancied trying, which was something that was taken up about half the time.

I once sat with a headlining band watching the first support act, and the 'singer' of the opening band decided to jump off the bass drum, owned by the headliner, twice. Fortunately for the singer, it was his old kit he took to shitty gigs, so 'all' that happened was the drummer pulled him off the front of the stage after the second time and made himself very clear...
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13054
    Sassafras;637704" said:
    It's not that hard to spend £150 at the hairdressers, my ex-missus never had trouble spending even more than that.

John Kerry, American secretary of state, regularly spends $2000 on his haircuts.Me, I use a set of no 2 clippers on what's left of my hair. Costs me nothing.
    A friend of mine wrote/directed a short film about the power that the people who cut the Prime Ministers hair have. It sounds ridiculous but in today's "doesn't he look funny eating a sandwich" level of media interest one slip of the clippers and you're changing elections :-D
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13054
    Anyway back on topic I think some of these "never lend gear under any circumstances" posts are just not realistic in the gigging scene as far as I'm concerned.

These multi band gigs just don't work if every single band insists on changing all the gear between sets, you need some kind of sharing or else it takes too long to change over.

I have no problem sharing amps, PA and drums so long as it's all arranged in advance, everyone knows what the score is and everyone is happy. Contact the promoter, contact the other bands, arrange what's happening.

Turning up with no guitar is just weird though. Actual instruments and pedals should never be shared unless it's very unique circumstances and arranged in advance.