Musicians at gigs with £150 haircuts wanting the borrow everything?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    one slip of the clippers and you're changing elections :-D
    I'd rather one slip of the clippers and Cameron pops his clogs...but I can dream ...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4079
    I've let people use my amp, and people have even helped themselves and used it when I nipped out for some food. I was fuming at that. Nobody will use my guitar though, unless it's a friend.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2185
    I only did it once, this was a gig in London years ago. Both the support bands asked to borrow our entire backline! Neither band watched us play, so nah bollocks to that.

A guitarist who turns up without a guitar is just taking the piss. I feel sorry for poor drummers, spending a fortune on skins to have some idiot thrash the crap out of them.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I went the route of touring a couple of combos, it stopped the support bands wanting to borrow my shit. Our tech spec was always submitted by our tour manager a good few weeks in advance and if anybody asked on the night the tour manager would have bluntly told them no. It's not so bad if you're touring with a few bands and you get friendly with them but local supports were always one of my worst nightmares.
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 642
    I'm now looking at everyone I see and trying to work out how much their haircut cost.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3454
    Is there something about combos that means support bands won't use them? Just curious if that's a 'thing'.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73235
    Is there something about combos that means support bands won't use them? Just curious if that's a 'thing'.
    I don't think so, I've had plenty of other people use mine.

I really don't mind. As long as they don't do something like sticking a headstock through the grille (which could happen even if they weren't actually using it and it was still on stage) what's the problem? If you don't know what your settings are to the point it becomes a problem if someone else adjusts it, you need to learn or mark them… they can get accidentally knocked anyway. If there's a risk of blowing it up, you need a better amp in the first place.

I understand the concern about letting someone else plug into a low-rated cab, but that's about it. Just don't use one if you're likely to be sharing gear… you can get a 2x12" that will handle any normal guitar head quite easily.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6629
    Almost never happens to us (it's extremely rare that we'll be on a bill with any other bands) but every so often a wedding guest wants to get up and play. It's usually a blanket NO from us but at our last gig a guest asked if he could get the groom up to sing Johnny B Goode, and once he'd secured a YES from us hit me with the bombshell 'oh and can I play guitar on it?' As it happened, a quick chat and I was happy he knew his way around a guitar, so I reluctantly agreed.

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5230
    chrisj1602;637764" said:
    I've let people use my amp, and people have even helped themselves and used it when I nipped out for some food. I was fuming at that.

Nobody's ever done that with my amp, but I can promise that if somebody did I'd get up on stage, unplug it and walk away. I wouldn't give a flyer if they were in the middle of their set. That's just some ignorant shit.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16472
    RocknRollDave;638191" said:
    Almost never happens to us (it's extremely rare that we'll be on a bill with any other bands) but every so often a wedding guest wants to get up and play. It's usually a blanket NO from us but at our last gig a guest asked if he could get the groom up to sing Johnny B Goode, and once he'd secured a YES from us hit me with the bombshell 'oh and can I play guitar on it?' As it happened, a quick chat and I was happy he knew his way around a guitar, so I reluctantly agreed.
    we had our entire band set up 'borrowed' by a group of bikers once. I can't say I was happy but no harm done. They were pretty shit as well, not that I told them that...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmgpmg Frets: 301
    Fortheloveofguitar;636976" said:
    I never let anyone use my gear.

Call me selfish but I've worked hard for years to get the quality level of gear that I own.

People putting pints on top of amps, tears in tolex or speaker cloth and bent control knobs etc.

Zero respect for other people's gear.
    Agreed. Plus it just downright takes the piss.