'57 Reissue Les Paul Custom info

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    edited May 2015
    It's just general knowledge really. Gibson make three types of black dual-humbucker-equipped Customs that look quite similar at first glance. One is a 'regular' Custom with a maple cap, one is a '68 reissue (also with a maple cap) and the third is the '57 Reissue, which is all mahogany. Visually they're very similar but the regular Custom has speed knobs and keystone tuners, the '68 has reflector knobs (latterly which-hat knobs) and kidney-bean Grovers (latterly waffle-back keystones), while the '57 Reissue has top-hat knobs and kidney bean Grovers (or green-key Klusons and latterly waffle-back keystones).

The serial number for the regular Custom and '68 reissue will begin CS while the serial number for the '57 Reissue will start with a 7. All had ebony boards up to around 2011 when the regular Custom changed to richlite. I believe that @lustycourtier is referring to the regular Custom, which has been made by both Gibson Custom Shop and Gibson USA.

Edit: There's also a '74 reissue Custom.

Regular Custom:

Latest 'True Historic' '57 reissue:
    imageLatest '68 reissue:
    '74 reissue:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Here's my 57 Reissue - gigged a lot with the battlescars to show for it, but somehow the photos dont show them - image
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    I actually had a wee look at a pic tonight for an ogle. Thanks again Mansons and to my knowledge I think it's actually an '06. 

Looks like 761102.

By my ratching about 7 means '57 Reissue, 6 for 2006 and 1102nd one made. Or is that 1996???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Here's my 57 Reissue - gigged a lot with the battlescars to show for it, but somehow the photos dont show them - image

That is delicious.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73232
    The guitarist in my band has two of them, one 2-pickup and the other 3-pickup. Both are heavy - 10.5 and just under 11lbs, although they don't feel *that* heavy because they balance better than many Les Pauls, due to the slightly lower neck angles - both have very fat necks, and both sound fantastic - the 2-pickup one tighter and more focused, the 3-pickup deeper and more open. (Comparing the front and back positions only, since the middle position is different on the two of them obviously.)

Given the new price on them I can't see them staying under £3K for very long, so if you see one much cheaper I'd be inclined to buy it. The loss of ebony fingerboards on the "standard" Custom is going to make the Historics all the more desirable too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    edited May 2015
    Deijavoo said:
    I actually had a wee look at a pic tonight for an ogle. Thanks again Mansons and to my knowledge I think it's actually an '06. 

Looks like 761102.

By my ratching about 7 means '57 Reissue, 6 for 2006 and 1102nd one made. Or is that 1996???
    Yes, that's right. The serial number could indicate 2006 or 1996 but I'd put money on the former because I don't think they made that many guitars in 1996. Keep in mind that the B7 (Black Beauty 57) shares the '7' serial number with the R7 Goldtop and '57 Junior reissues, hence the high number.
    Yeah I kinda got that from the blue book that detailed serial numbers for Gibson. Either way, it looks clean, Ralph there who has been nothing short of a total gent says it's ding free, light use marks etc... So I'd bank on '06.

Hope it's delivered before I go away on Friday morning!
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5117
    How much does it weigh? :D
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    I'll get the scales out! :-) it's more important than playing etc... Also, not actually joking but BIGSBY!!
    The plot thickens. 781102. I actually think it's a '98 now, a fairly battered brown Gibson USA case. Weighs loads, the neck is thick.....Oh how I need to get this plugged in.
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    My 2001 came in a brown case
    I need new trousers.