Any Drop C fans? What are you playing?

What's Hot
SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 724
A fairly open-ended question really, it's a tuning I'm just starting to play with, mainly as I've wanted to learn some Killswitch Engaged stuff for ages.

I was wondering really what styles you're playing, bands, songs etc etc, but I suppose the question also works around:

1. Guitar (and implicitly scale length)
2. String gauge
3. Pickups

What have you?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Aerials in the sky.......when you loose small minds you realise......ah ah ah...ah ah ah. ...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited May 2015
    yes - I play very aggressive hardcore/grind/metal and use

1.Les Paul Customs
    2. D'addario 52-11
    3. Duncan Distortion or BKP Nailbomb
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27142
    Drop-C#. Does that count?

It's all originals, but...

1 - Jaden Rose Tele, 25.5"
    2 - 9-46, but with a 52 on the bottom instead of the 46
    3 - DiMarzio Air Norton (neck) and Tone Zone (bridge). Very bass-heavy, considering swapping them out for some noiseless single coils...
    <space for hire>
  • prh777prh777 Frets: 143
    C standard or  drop A# depending on material.

You played it already.

PRS CU 24 (25") 
    D'addario 13-60 (c gauge set) have also used 11-56
    PRS Tremonti USA pickups

you do lose a lot of brightness at this string gauge and scale length so clean sections aren't great.

recently

Mayones Regius 6 (25.4")
    D'addario  EXL117 11-56
    Bare Knuckle black hawks

Holds the tension  much better for riffage and regains the brightness.

Material i some original stoner/sludge metal, prog metal, punk.
    Covers include Pantera, Tool, Sabbath, QOTSA, Priest, lots of SOAD, Lamb of God, Sepultura, Deftones, AIC, pumpkins etc.

The mesa combo deals well with this tuning.  Can retain tight low end even at these tunings. I've a/b'd it with orange Jim Root Terror, Rockerverb 50 and Laney IR Studio.

• SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 724
    digitalscream;639944" said:
    Drop-C#. Does that count?

...Very bass-heavy, considering swapping them out for some noiseless single coils...
    Interesting ... I was wondering about single coils myself, seems to cut through much better on the chugs when I tap the Humbuckers.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    edited May 2015
    Daddario 11-56 set works well. Gibson Les Paul, PRS CU22/SC, Fender Strat. Currently in B but have just upped the low string to a 59 to compensate. Gibson scale is fine in drop C IMO, in drop B it is ok too but I think the Fender is starting to stand out a little better at that tuning/scale, I'd still say everything is usable though. I would recommend less bass heavy pickups, and the thinnest strings you can get away with if you want more clarity. EMG 81 is a standard choice for higher gain. I've got 81/81, 57/66, JH set in the Fender and PRS' currently. Stock PAFs in the Les Paul also work because they're thinner than a high output passive.

I'm yet to find a high output passive I like the sound of in lower tunings personally, but so much stuff has been released in the past 5 or so years I wouldn't be surprised if there are several good options now.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    SquireJapan;639967" said:
    [quote="digitalscream;639944"]Drop-C#. Does that count?

...Very bass-heavy, considering swapping them out for some noiseless single coils...
    Interesting ... I was wondering about single coils myself, seems to cut through much better on the chugs when I tap the Humbuckers. [/quote]

I'm considering a second scratch plate with EMG SAs based on this logic. Though not decided if I want to try a passive set of real singles instead. Noiseless passives haven't won me over on guitar or bass.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    I have my Mockingbird Pro X in Drop C using Daddario 13-60's with EMG 81+60's 24 5/8" scale I think...
    I also have my dean Soltero SL in Drop C occasionally with a BKP nailbomb in the bridge and SD Distortion in the neck. 

Generally I will play everything from periphery, black veil brides, Killswitch, and other generic metalcore really :) 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited May 2015
    In G standard with 16 20W 34 46 60 70 on a 25.5" and BKP Alnico Warpigs at the minute. It is silly. It is also fun. I don't really like drop tuning that low string a tone. I can never get the vibrato I like on chords. I tend to live in B standard though with 12-60 with a wound 3rd.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I use Dean Markley Blue Steel 11-52s at Drop C on a 25" Ibanez SZ. Works fine for me.

Playing wise I most just chug power chords...
  • RedRed Frets: 14
    I use a Mayones Regius 6 with D'addorio 10s and BKP aftermaths. Sounds pretty sweet (: 
    Formerly MusicRadar: deideidei
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5236
    Not drop c but normal down 4 frets c.

Standard Les Paul with whatever Gibson pickups it came with.
    Flying V with JB
    Ibanez Destroyer with Air Norton

I play proper / true doom in one band and slightly more 70s proto metal influenced doom rock in another.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm actually getting the splitable 81s in my PRS ...

I can split the coil on my 7 string - It's not as nice by itself, but the low B string cuts much better in single coil mode over a backing track. I'm toying with the idea of having the 7 down to drop A for fear factory type stuff, but not sure how the passive pickups will fair.

It will be nice go see what EMGs sound like in single coil mode on the PRS and tuned much lower. I'm getting the 81TW-X (with preamp) if anyone is interested.
  • prh777prh777 Frets: 143
    Be good to hear how the EMGs go in the PRS. What did you get in the end?

We play self bias resistor and I have an easier time with it on the 52 gauge low C (6 string) but it does require a gentler approach as it's easier to push the pitch sharp if you dig in too much or apply too much pressure on the palm muting.
    I'd actually suggest Lace alumitones if you were tuning that low. They are no noise passives that use 25k active pots and they are FUVJING amazing for clarity. They do the deathbuckers as well for metal.

They are totally different in design to any kther pickup and i think they look great ;)
    'Awibble'
    http://www.lacemusic.com/alumitone_deathbucker_rings.php

Also available without the silly trim ring
    'Awibble'
    edited May 2015
    prh777;640401" said:
    Be good to hear how the EMGs go in the PRS. What did you get in the end?

We play self bias resistor and I have an easier time with it on the 52 gauge low C (6 string) but it does require a gentler approach as it's easier to push the pitch sharp if you dig in too much or apply too much pressure on the palm muting.
    PRS wise? Custom 24 - it badly needed a setup though so took it direct to Feline... I'm lazy, so they're fitting the pickups.

Good to know you're doing FF like that - the 7 string in standard is really really nice as is :)

Hertz32 said:

Wow, they look pretty brutal ... have you tried them?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27142
    Hertz32 said:

Also good for country and jazz, apparently.
    <space for hire>
    Haven't played them peraonally, but clips sound noticeably better than most other pickups. On a par with BKPs imo
    'Awibble'
    I've decided to get a pair for my ibanez 7 at some point. They sound fantastic.
    'Awibble'