Any Drop C fans? What are you playing?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited May 2015
    All of my bands stuff is in Drop-C. I use d'addario strings, 52-10's, and I use Seymour Duncan Distortions - the SH6 "Mayhem" set.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 724
    Drew_fx said:
    All of my bands stuff is in Drop-C. I use d'addario strings, 52-10's, and I use Seymour Duncan Distortions - the SH6 "Mayhem" set.
    Interesting again ... as I'm on 11-52s. Glad to see I'm not too far away from what others are doing. I should have a look at your stuff ... checking it out now!
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7404
    Drop c# here, again mostly original, playing a Les Paul and a Brian moore iGuitar both strung with 52-10s
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • prh777prh777 Frets: 143
    @Feline did a great job on my strat, tele and ibby sr505. The Prs needs a fret dress so that's next when I have time.

@Drew_fx - I like your material. Do you have any gigs coming up?
    prh777 said:
    @Feline did a great job on my strat, tele and ibby sr505. The Prs needs a fret dress so that's next when I have time.

@Drew_fx - I like your material. Do you have any gigs coming up?
    Thanks matey. We're playing ArcTangent in August: www.arctangent.co.uk and we're planning a tour for September right now, to support our 3rd album which should be coming out around the same time.
    Drew_fx said:
    Interesting again ... as I'm on 11-52s. Glad to see I'm not too far away from what others are doing. I should have a look at your stuff ... checking it out now!
    I used to use 13's back in the day!! Bloody hell that hurt!!
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    With the low strings it has a lot to do with your picking style. The lighter your pick attack (via light picking, and/or using a light pick) the lighter the strings you can use. But then there is the I can't be bothered making a full custom set thing, so I just pick whatever is closest!
  • guitarfishbay;640265" said:
    Daddario 11-56 set works well. Gibson Les Paul, PRS CU22/SC, Fender Strat. Currently in B but have just upped the low string to a 59 to compensate. Gibson scale is fine in drop C IMO, in drop B it is ok too but I think the Fender is starting to stand out a little better at that tuning/scale, I'd still say everything is usable though. I would recommend less bass heavy pickups, and the thinnest strings you can get away with if you want more clarity. EMG 81 is a standard choice for higher gain. I've got 81/81, 57/66, JH set in the Fender and PRS' currently. Stock PAFs in the Les Paul also work because they're thinner than a high output passive.

I'm yet to find a high output passive I like the sound of in lower tunings personally, but so much stuff has been released in the past 5 or so years I wouldn't be surprised if there are several good options now.
    ASL havocs. Seriously brutal output, but asides from a tighter bass it has a very open, broad voice. Compared to my Duncan sh5 (high output, but quite middy - treble biased) it's fatter, rounder and yet still mega aggressive. Cleans up great, too.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    I sometimes do play in drop C, but when I do it's usually with light-as-fuck strings - if I'm on a Fender scale, sometimes 9s. I don't "keep" a guitar in drop C, so when I do tune that low it's just with the same setup I'd use for standard tuning.

As for what I play... Killswitch, BFMV, some Zakk Wylde stuff (Ozzy/BLS)... I dunno, not much really.

I'm increasingly finding tuning down lower than Eb to be a pain in the arse that I'd rather not do if I don't have to. I might feel differently if I started singing in a band, because my voice is quite low.

This is a drop C track I'd love to learn, but I can't even begin to get my head around the solo at 2:40. If anyone fancies a challenge...

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited May 2015
    @Bucket songsterr has it tabbed out pretty damn well. 
     Download the guitar pro free trial if you haven't already 
     Go to the songsterr fage for the track Click "submit new revision" Download the current .gp5 file You now have the GP5 file for whatever track you want :)
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Apologies for the fucked up formatting. iPads are shit on this site 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    edited May 2015
    i play in C standard..and B standard...

my C Standard guitars are
    Gibson SG with Bigsby
    Monson Nomad (something between a LP and SG)

Strings I use are either:
    D'Addario 12-60 (plain G string)
    Dunlop 13-60 (7 string set, and I drop the high e string, and wound G string)

Pickups:
    SG is stock gibson P90's
    Monson is Seymour Duncan Black Winters (which should be tried beyond the metal world as they are great pickups)

I play doom, a lot of acoustic and heavily distorted/fuzz tones. But recently I've also started playing a lot of ambient solo instrumental music which is either acoustic or very light dirt/fuzz with a lot of delay and verb etc.

I've been playing at these tuning so long that a guitar in E tuning just sounds really shrill to my ears!
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    ThePrettyDamned;640728" said:
    [quote="guitarfishbay;640265"]Daddario 11-56 set works well. Gibson Les Paul, PRS CU22/SC, Fender Strat. Currently in B but have just upped the low string to a 59 to compensate. Gibson scale is fine in drop C IMO, in drop B it is ok too but I think the Fender is starting to stand out a little better at that tuning/scale, I'd still say everything is usable though. I would recommend less bass heavy pickups, and the thinnest strings you can get away with if you want more clarity. EMG 81 is a standard choice for higher gain. I've got 81/81, 57/66, JH set in the Fender and PRS' currently. Stock PAFs in the Les Paul also work because they're thinner than a high output passive.

I'm yet to find a high output passive I like the sound of in lower tunings personally, but so much stuff has been released in the past 5 or so years I wouldn't be surprised if there are several good options now.
    ASL havocs. Seriously brutal output, but asides from a tighter bass it has a very open, broad voice. Compared to my Duncan sh5 (high output, but quite middy - treble biased) it's fatter, rounder and yet still mega aggressive. Cleans up great, too. [/quote]

Hmm interesting. I'm familiar with the Duncan Custom as I've had it before. It does have quite a bit of treble but also solid low end IIRC. So the Havoc has tighter bass but is fatter? Will have to look for clips later.
    edited May 2015
    Hertz32 said:
    @Bucket songsterr has it tabbed out pretty damn well. 
     Download the guitar pro free trial if you haven't already 
     Go to the songsterr fage for the track Click "submit new revision" Download the current .gp5 file You now have the GP5 file for whatever track you want :)
    I know there are tabs out there, I just can't fucking play it! :D

I might see if I can pitch-shift the track up to standard, may make me more inclined to learn it if I don't have to re-tune for it.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    You've got like 15 guitars @Bucket, why not keep one tuned down with slightly heavier strings?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2015
    You've got like 15 guitars @Bucket, why not keep one tuned down with slightly heavier strings?
    Been there done that - I don't like doing it, because I end up never using it very much because I don't use low tunings that often :D
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7404
    And therin lies your mistake
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom