Best gig bag?

What's Hot
robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3073
Looking for a sturdy, good-quality gig bag to carry one guitar (plus a few bits) to rehearsals.

Can anyone recommend me something? Or warn me to avoid anything?

Cheers,

R.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7362
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3073
    Har-di-hah, very drole :)

I should point out that all my guitars are cased, but the use case for this is I've just changed jobs, I'm going to have to go (drive) straight to rehearsal after work, I don't want to leave my gear in a car park in Leeds all day so I want something I can easily carry from the car to the office and back.

R.
  • JoesaJoesa Frets: 86
    I had a Planetwaves gigbag for a PRS SE I had for a while and that was a very well put together bag. I had absolute confidence in it and I'm a died in the wool hardcase user.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73153
    What kind of guitar? If it's a Gibson, be very careful with any kind of gig bag… you really need a Mono or something else with a neck support.

Avoid anything with straps attached by plastic clips - they break. Stick to sewn-in straps.

Avoid anything without hard reinforcement around the bottom, and/or zips that go right round here - the strap button will puncture the fabric and/or damage the zip.

Avoid anything without protection on the inside in the machinehead area, or the string ends will rip up the lining (unless it's a Fender-style guitar with slotted tuners).

Or get a rigid foam semi-hard case… almost as strong as a normal hard case and almost as easy to carry as a gig bag.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11773
    tFB Trader
    If you have guitars you really care about then I'd go for a Mono or a high end Fusion one.
    My own Les paul style guitars all go in Mono Vertigo ones when not in a Hiscox

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27867
    What they said - Mono or nothing for me. And Hiscox when I don't need to put on my back.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Mono, Fusion or Gruv Gear.
    £120+ each but they all have a good rep :)
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • BradBrad Frets: 676
    Mono all the way. I've had my M80 for 5/6 years and it holds up as though it was new. I've got the mono case for my Pedaltrain Jr, too which is exceptional. You have to take a bit of a hit initially but they pay for themselves in the long run. Now if only I could justify buying a vertigo and the new guitar sleeve...
    OK, so I'm getting a feel for a trend here... :)

The guitar will be whatever I'm taking to rehearsal that week - either a Tele, a Strat, or (unlikely) a Yammy SG3000.

Thanks,

R.

• CatthanCatthan Frets: 371
    Mono for LPs. A Suhr for S- or T- style is good enough imho. 
    I occasionally put my LP in the Suhr as it's got neck support, padding etc but I should really get a mono.
    Next payday I will now that i think about it.. IEMs can wait

• CatthanCatthan Frets: 371
    @FelineGuitars,

With the mono vertigo, can you move the headlock further up towards the headstock or is it fixed in one position. 
    The equivalent neck rest in the Suhr one is moveable and whenever I put the LP in I can have it as high as the nut.
    Is the mono headlock similar?
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11773
    tFB Trader
    No - it's fixed but seems to be in a very good position and the way it locks the whole bag solid is impressive 
    Look at their video if you've not already

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6942
    You could always buy a cheaper guitar - one that should anyone break into your car you don't mind if it disappears.

Something like a Squier 51?

Unless you have a really small boot it would be hidden from sight anyway.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 747
    These are quality and good value - for the tele/strat at least. Would be less keen on the Yammy being outside a hard case. https://m.thomann.de/gb/thomann_premium_gigbag_eguitar_br.htm?o=11&ref=mal_a_11&search=1432453476
    I am highly unlikely to take the Yammy anywhere in anything other than its flight case. The car has no boot (Seat Alhambra) so I really don't to leave anything in it that might encourage an opportunistic thief to have a go. Am currently thinking a Vertigo might be the way to go. R.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13053
    The Protec Contego cases are meant to be awesome and they're a lot cheaper than the mono.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Gig bags are evil. The only sensible solution is a Hiscox hard case.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7440
    Mono
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24897
    Mono.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd