My guitar Zapped me

What's Hot
LaMaestroLaMaestro Frets: 16
Hello.

I just got a second hand Fender Mustang I and I've been playing for a while until I got a little painful shock from the strings.

I was barefoot and there is a popping sound every time I touch the strings. Also there is the weak buzzing sound coming from the amp when no metal parts are touched. I have previously used my PC to play and no notable buzzing or shocking was present, however there was a little popping sound when guitar was touched.

What should I do? Is it the amp's grounding issues or guitar's grounding issues? I switched to another socket and wore slippers to continue playing and no further shocks were received. However the popping and buzzing stayed. 

Help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7362
    Stand in a Bucket of water and see if that helps...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

If the buzzing goes away or reduces when you touch the strings, they are grounded. Although that is in itself a hazard because that's how you're getting the shock, it's not the cause of the problem.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LaMaestroLaMaestro Frets: 16
    edited May 2015
    57Deluxe said:
    Stand in a Bucket of water and see if that helps...
    Witty.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LaMaestroLaMaestro Frets: 16
    edited May 2015
    ICBM said:
    It's not the guitar - it never is. If you're getting a shock it's coming from whatever it's plugged into - either the amp or the wall supply are not earthed correctly.

If the buzzing goes away or reduces when you touch the strings, they are grounded. Although that is in itself a hazard because that's how you're getting the shock, it's not the cause of the problem.
    They buzzing goes away when I touch em, question is what to do now? Check the guitar or give the amp to a technitian?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73155
    It's not the guitar.

First get the amp checked. If it's OK, get the wall supply checked.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    ICBM;644849" said:
    It's not the guitar.

First get the amp checked. If it's OK, get the wall supply checked.
    This.
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I also wouldn't play it until it has been checked, it could be dangerous.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31252
    My guitar Zapped me.

I was playing Hot Rats at the time.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    That's because it doesn't like you, kill it to get back at it and revenge.

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Sometimes I get that when I shred too fast...
  • ParkerParker Frets: 961
    Yeah - I'm no means technical and ICBM is the guru here, but there was a documented case about 10 years ago where a teenager was killed when he knocked his strings against a metal mic stand. I believe it was the milliampage not the voltage that killed him! Don't play it until it's sorted!
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    My guitar zapped me. It started voting labour and making snide comments about @drew_fx
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    edited May 2015
    Parker said:
    Yeah - I'm no means technical and ICBM is the guru here, but there was a documented case about 10 years ago where a teenager was killed when he knocked his strings against a metal mic stand. I believe it was the milliampage not the voltage that killed him! Don't play it until it's sorted!
    Voltage doesn't kill you, current kills you, 30ma across the heart is enough to stop it.....but, the higher the voltage the more current flows

ohms law innit
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73155
    Parker said:
    It will probably have been when *he* touched the stand, not the strings. There must have been an earthing fault to either the PA or the guitar amp so that one of them was live and the other wasn't, and he completed the circuit by holding the mic and the guitar at the same time.

There have been at least three relatively famous musicians fatally electrocuted the same way - one on stage, Les Harvey of Stone The Crows - Keith Relf formerly of the Yardbirds, and the Shadows' one-time bassist John Rostill in their home studios.

It's the supply wiring that's more likely to be the cause, but it's worth (and easier) getting the amp checked first.

• 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    Hey ICBM, this is a bugbear of mine, due to my electrical background, but it's unnecessary to put "fatally" in front of 'electrocuted'

:D

thanks
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16453
    Ooh, I was zapped holding an electric guitar once. The machine heads touched a badly wired side light and kaboom!
    I once stuck a fork in a live toaster and it was a similar experience.
    Anyway, not to be recommended.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ParkerParker Frets: 961
    1nten5e;644961" said:
    Hey ICBM, this is a bugbear of mine, due to my electrical background, but it's ounnecessary to put "fatally" in front of 'electrocuted'

:D

thanks
    I guess that depends if you're English or American - I'm a safety professional (an arsehole in both countries!) and you can be injured by electrocution in the UK. :p
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    Strictly, electrocution is defined as death due to electric shock.
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1289
    Get it checked out. I've had a mains voltage shock from a mis wired amp and it's really not nice!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16999
    Strictly, electrocution is defined as death due to electric shock.
    At what point does common usage and natural evolution of language overtake the definitions of the root words?