Talk me out of Gibson Midtown Custom in ebony

What's Hot
johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
Something just keeps calling to me from this guitar. I've never played one and I don't know why but it just seems right.

It would also be the cheapest guitar I've ever bought since my USA standard strat in the 90's although that's due to inflation.

Should I just man up and pull the trigger?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    Yes. Great guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Awesome guitars, and only £781 from Thoman, crazy price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7768
    They are handsome things
    Red ones are better. 
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    Lol so no one has a good reason not to buy this guitar then?!
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    I fancied one a while back but no local shops had one, so I asked a pro guitarist friend to go and try one in a shop near him. He went in, looked at it, and just texted me to say it was the ugliest guitar he'd ever seen, and he loves Gibsons. Just go buy a 335 instead. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I've seen a couple in the flesh and find them more attractive than a 335 myself.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I don't think they're ugly. If it feels and sounds good, and you can afford it, buy it.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Talk you out of one? well, aren't their fretboards baked maple or richlite? I'm not sure how well they will age since it's a relatively modern material. Just playing devil's advocate, I'd be surprised if they wear or age any different to a rosewood board.
    mart;645439" said:
    I fancied one a while back but no local shops had one, so I asked a pro guitarist friend to go and try one in a shop near him. He went in, looked at it, and just texted me to say it was the ugliest guitar he'd ever seen, and he loves Gibsons. Just go buy a 335 instead. :)
    Lmao. To be fair I already have a Gibson Cher Atkins Tenneassean in the dark red colour. I'm kinda thinking this will be a gig friendly (well, 4 hour long function gig friendly) guitar that can give me a little of that flavour, be able to rock up when called upon and sound Robben Ford-ish through my Zendrive. It seems a bright guitar, could do the trick.

Ps. If your mate thinks that's ugly then I don't wanna know what beauty is
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574

I wouldn't call them ugly but until you adjust they look a little off due to the flat top. Fine dead on as in the pic above, but in 3 dimensions it stands out more. However, I kinda like the simplicity of it.

My P90 loaded Midtown does an awesome Robben Ford impression, even if I don't!

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4075
    Definitely not ugly, and a great price, but i'd rather a full size 335 myself.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I wish they'd make them with the pickup switch on the bass side horn. It should be where the LP and the ES-175 have it. If it's where the ES-335 and the SG have it then I will always fumble a pickup change. Pickup switch location is the only thing I don't like about SGs and ES-335s. I would like to play a Midtown though.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2213
    I had a natural finish one when they first came out. It was a fine guitar, but I traded it within a few months.
    andy1839;645507" said:
    I had a natural finish one when they first came out. It was a fine guitar, but I traded it within a few months.
    Why did you trade it and what did you replace it with?

Do you buy and sell a lot of guitars?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23718
    Don't buy it, it's got a Richlite fingerboard, are you crazy?

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    mart;645439" said:
    Lmao. ....

Well, I was just making a game attempt to talk you out of it, like you asked! :)

Seriously tho, my mate's idea of beauty is a Les Paul, or a 335. If you want to try to argue with that, go right ahead - it'll be amusing!

I think one of his gripes was that the midtowns are flat tops, if I recall correctly. For me that's a big turn off - it's so obviously a cheaper, corner-cutting form of constructing a semihollowbody.
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2213
    andy1839;645507" said:
    Why did you trade it and what did you replace it with?

Do you buy and sell a lot of guitars?

Yeah, I chop and change a lot, occasionally one will stay. I traded a USA Jackson DK1 for the Midtown, then the midtown went as part of a number of amps and guitars I traded for a PRS Private Stock. I had issues with the neck pickup sounding really muddy. I think it was Burstbuckers in it, I also have them in a CR8 Les Paul and they were very different in the two guitars. I tried bare knuckle Emeralds in the Midtown as well as the original Scrapyard Dog prototype pup from Ash and nothing made it really sing like a good 335 or 336/359 does.

May have been the super solid back, which was just a slab of mahogany carved out from the front and then the tops stuck on. Didn't really vibrate unplugged. It was by no means a bad guitar, it was built well. Finished superbly for a production Gibson, but not a patch on my '68 335 which I decided was the only 335-a-like I needed.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33993
    Buy one and I'll bum your mum.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    mart;645532" said:
    johnonguitar said:

mart;645439" said:I fancied one a while back but no local shops had one, so I asked a pro guitarist friend to go and try one in a shop near him. He went in, looked at it, and just texted me to say it was the ugliest guitar he'd ever seen, and he loves Gibsons. Just go buy a 335 instead. :)

Lmao. ....

Well, I was just making a game attempt to talk you out of it, like you asked! :)

Seriously tho, my mate's idea of beauty is a Les Paul, or a 335. If you want to try to argue with that, go right ahead - it'll be amusing!

I think one of his gripes was that the midtowns are flat tops, if I recall correctly. For me that's a big turn off - it's so obviously a cheaper, corner-cutting form of constructing a semihollowbody.
    Lol fair enough.

As regards the flat top, my main guitar is a Kotzen Tele. None flatter. I think I kinda like the idea
  • jazzlemmingjazzlemming Frets: 36
    I liked the one I played, but it didn't look so great in person. It's partly the flat top, but also those big plastic fretboard inlays. Also, I don't like black finishes generally! Oh, and to be really picky, I would rather have nickel hardware than chrome.
    I would save up for a nice 335 instead: