Talk me out of Gibson Midtown Custom in ebony

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    John P : it's not really a semi or anything like a 335. It's more an oversized chambered les Paul with f holes.
    Even better!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    John P : it's not really a semi or anything like a 335. It's more an oversized chambered les Paul with f holes.
    True, but there is a difference still. I bought a very lovely goldtop double cut P90 Les Paul that I planned to replace my P90 Midtown with, but I found the tone of the Midtown. whilst definately the same ball-park, a bit lighter, brighter and airier - made the LP sound just a bit of a sledgehammer in comparison.

If you are predominately a Fender player, I think the Midtown is a particularly good Gibson choice for the above tonal reasons and also because the size puts the neck in a very similar place to a Strat/Tele when seated compared to some Gibbos.

As has been said, the Midtown is a bit rough and ready in build and isn't the sexiest guitar, but mine has seen off both the above Les Paul and a PRS McCarty, both "better" guitars, yet every time I try to "improve" on it, it's shows the pretenders the way.
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    dindude;648128" said:
    bobliefeld said:

True, but there is a difference still. I bought a very lovely goldtop double cut P90 Les Paul that I planned to replace my P90 Midtown with, but I found the tone of the Midtown. whilst definately the same ball-park, a bit lighter, brighter and airier - made the LP sound just a bit of a sledgehammer in comparison.

If you are predominately a Fender player, I think the Midtown is a particularly good Gibson choice for the above tonal reasons and also because the size puts the neck in a very similar place to a Strat/Tele when seated compared to some Gibbos.

As has been said, the Midtown is a bit rough and ready in build and isn't the sexiest guitar, but mine has seen off both the above Les Paul and a PRS McCarty, both "better" guitars, yet every time I try to "improve" on it, it's shows the pretenders the way.
    dindude;648128" said:
    bobliefeld said:

It's funny you should say that as I consider myself a "Fender" guy. That's probably why I prefer the more open sound of semi's than the more focused tone of Les Paul's. I also don't get along with my PRS Custom 24

I have a good feeling about the Midtown Custom. I think we will get along